shorehambeach

Things to think about when doing Helicopter jump...

My friends.

I have my first :Phelicopter jump coming up from a Bell 206
I think it is equipped with double skids to enable us to hang on for dear life ..... We hope to get 5500ft.

Jumping at a busy DZ that I am familiar with.

What should I take into account when planning the jump (except for having fun and pulling &:)
Thank you in advance.

As with any new aircraft, but particularly for a totally new type like a helicopter, be certain to get a thorough briefing on the aircraft, including loading, safety on board, climb out, exit, etc.

Talk to the pilot about weight and balance and if he/she would like jumpers to exit in a particular order to assist in maintaining a balanced load. Also ask the pilot to brief you on aircraft emergencies and how procedures may (or may not) be different.

Look carefully for snag points on the climbout and the skids - I've heard of folks getting hung up by their chest straps, and I've seen the lovely wraparound scar on the arm of a jumper who slashed herself on a protruding object on a helicopter.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

How you approach a helicopter is very important, and very different from an airplane.

The "Spinny Thing" is on the back, not the front. Approach from the front where the pilot can see you.

This should be covered during any briefing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Make absolutely certain your closing loop is adjusted properly and watch what you're doing in the chopper that you don't knock it lose.

This is a properly scary video from the UK a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZnwEC2NcEg

Could EASILY have killed everyone on board.

Read this thread for lots of good suggestions, in particular the stuff about that specific heli and the restraints / lack of ability to check yourself by someone who was there..

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4508332;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Be super careful when boarding, moving around, and climbing out. You are used to the configuration of fixed wing jump planes with no seats or seats designed for jumpers. Most choppers are not modified to accommodate the dimensions of people wearing parachutes and snag hazards are typically not taken into consideration when preparing the bird for jumping.

I have seen video after video of pin covers loose, pilot chutes partially extracted, etc. caused from movement in the cramped space. I have even seen a jumper with a chest strap snagged on protruding hardware on the landing pod!

Check your gear after you board so any problems are identified before takeoff, be extra aware of your gear's proximity to and contact with interior components, and be as still as possible during the ride up. Check handles and pin covers before jump run. When climbing out avoid contact between your gear and the bird.

Once you are in position for exit put the ride up and gear cautions behind you and have fun!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

shorehambeach

My friends.

I have my first :Phelicopter jump coming up from a Bell 206
I think it is equipped with double skids to enable us to hang on for dear life ..... We hope to get 5500ft.

Jumping at a busy DZ that I am familiar with.

What should I take into account when planning the jump (except for having fun and pulling &:)
Thank you in advance.

I don't recommend this.
Climbing down to this position is dangerous, you can snag straps and/or pull reserve or cutaway handle.
There is a video on youtube of this happening, the reserve beeing pulled while hanging on the skid.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/1pg53t_HIQw?t=1m14s

wolfriverjoe

How you approach a helicopter is very important, and very different from an airplane.

The "Spinny Thing" is on the back, not the front. Approach from the front where the pilot can see you.

This should be covered during any briefing.

Actually, most helicopters (including the 206) should be approached from the side, not the front or the back, ...and then only after the pilot motions you in or a ground crew assistant leads you in.

The whirling abattoir (main rotor) blade above can dip quite low to the front, and is definitely an area to avoid. A safety briefing is a must for all participants as a protection for them, and the pilots "ticket". I can guarantee the pilot will be less than pleased to have sky trash like us wandering around to either the front or the rear of his aircraft whilst the knives are rotating...

Lot of other good advice given above too.

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

(Don't think the Bell 206 should have this issue, but throwing it out there...)

Make sure from the pilot that you are allowed to hang/step on the skids. I've been told that not all small 'choppers are engineered for the skids to have weight pulling down on them.

Have fun!

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Absolutely important: Don't have anything loose that could fly out and tangle with the tail rotor.

Don't drop anything (like a pilot chute) down between the legs and the skid.

Things will get interesting.

The pilot will be mildly angry....

Oh yeah....

And don't kick any of his windows out.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

slight sidenote... [:/]
be sure to properly stow all the seatbelts, (NOT buckled together :o,,, ) prior to climbout... I Once witnessed the DAMAGE done ( once the Bird had landed ) to a fine paint job of a million dollar aircraft... Because a Buckle from a seat belt,,, went out the door, to the full length of the strap, and was banging the hell out of the area just aft of the door..... for the ENTIRE descent... not only chipped away a LOT of paint, but also left many pock marks in the skin beneath the paint.:(:(... IF we WANT to jump out of them, we MUST be considerate NOT to HURT Them...;)

be safe.

jimmytavino

slight sidenote... [:/]
be sure to properly stow all the seatbelts, (NOT buckled together :o,,, ) prior to climbout... I Once witnessed the DAMAGE done ...;)

...why not buckle them back together?
I'm probably missing something simple, but I have been asked to buckle them together when leaving, albeit for other than jump operations.

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

It is a lot easier to snag your foot etc in a belt that is looped and closed than it is to snag your foot etc in a single piece of unbuckled belt lying on the floor.

Think of a premie in a plane with an open door...and a foot anchored to the floor because it is caught in a buckled seat belt. Bad day for many people, I would think.

You have a few hundred jumps...go get your B and C...this type of stuff is on the test and is important to learn / think about.

Speer

***slight sidenote... [:/]
be sure to properly stow all the seatbelts, (NOT buckled together :o,,, ) prior to climbout... I Once witnessed the DAMAGE done ...;)

...why not buckle them back together?
I'm probably missing something simple, but I have been asked to buckle them together when leaving, albeit for other than jump operations.

Buckling belts together creates a really nice, really strong loop that becomes a potential snag hazard for hands, feet, gear, etc. Leaving them loose eliminates that risk.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

sure thing Speer... it could well have BEEN that you and /or others were briefed, differently..... and in THAT case.... Yes, Maybe,, as long as the belt system is then snugged up ,, tight to the seat back....:|in a situation like a Helicopter...
leaving only the Tail "flapping in the breeze"
a lot less slack,,, in that scenario..
Just be sure,, as mentioned by others NOT to create that "dreaded foot snare "..

SAME thing in ANY jumpship,, from C 182 to a DC3 ;) or more likely today, an Otter or Caravan...
We sure don't want the late exiters and tandems to be caught by surprise......:o;)B| right???
and So i believe that the best rule is to stow them, unbuckled in just about all aircraft..
ymmv

j

diablopilot

That's pretty bad, but the biggest mistake made is getting in a Robinson in the first place.

Ouch that's harsh. It's the Ford Mondeo of the skies - it gets the job done (I have a Clipper II, which is the marine version with pop-out emergency floats).

Yes an Agusta 109 Grand would be make every heli pilot smile - but they cost $4 million; that will get you a mini fleet (9) Robinson R44s
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"