BASE813

Recovery from injury

Well now into week 10 of recoverying from my injury and its not getting easier or faster!

I am still not weight baring, and have been told today to lay off the physio as its causing some major swelling and pain. Will also have to wait a further 4 weeks for more Xrays to see if the bone graft is required.

On top of this have been told by work that after 13 weeks off, they can sack me at any time.

Arguements with the Girlfriend due to frustrations that both of us have, it must also be very hard for the SO to deal with your injury too!

On the positive side, i am now out of plaster, have had my diastatis (sp?) screw removed so its more comfortable now.................

why am I writing this? cause I spend each day in my house with only my dogs for company, and its getting pretty fucking boring after 10 weeks and no real noticable improvement!!!!

AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

Hey all you guys recovering, whats going on in your lives???

Im off to pop more pain killers!!

B|

Well, I'm now in to week 24 of recovering from my injury and it's not getting easier or faster!

I am weight baring but I still can't tolerate the physio as it causes major swelling and pain. I also have to wait another week for more x-rays to see if a bone graft is required.

On top of this, I've been hoping they'd sack me after sixteen weeks off of work but - no such luck yet:(

I have occasional arguments with my other self due to the frustrations that we both have - It's been very hard on the AP (alternate personality) to deal with my injury too!

On the positive side, I was never wrapped up in plaster and so far they have refused to remove all of the screws that are now sticking out of my freakin' skin.

Why am I writing this? Cuz I spend each day in my apartment with only my dogs - crap, I don't have any dogs - my alternate personality for company and it's getting really fucking boring after 24 weeks with only minor noticeable improvement!!!!!

AAARRRRRRGHHHHH!

I'm off to pop more pain killers!! Ahhh fuck, I'm all out - Hey B - hook me up with a refill, will ya?B|

Peace B - It'll get better. It just takes for fucking ever, that's all:S

Action©Sports

Well, besides the obvious brain damage caused by years of participation in extreme sports - it could also be the high doses of morphine and oxycontin I was given during my first month post op - My leg still ain't that great. I can walk and hobble but I don't foresee any running in my immediate future. I'm thinkin' about heading out to the boogie in Lost Prairie for the final weekend so I can catch up on six months of partying all at once so that's at least something to look forward to.

Other than that, life's just been a barrel of monkeys

Action©Sports

Demerol mmm mmm good;)
I'm one of the very few that Morhpine doesn't effect:S, they gave me three shots of morphine in the ER when I shattered my Tib/Fib to no avail, I had to threaten a lawsuit before they gave me some Demerol and finally got some relief from the pain.
Then when I came out of surgery (different hospital) they gave me Morphine again and I had told them about the ER experience>:(, finally got Demerol in my IV pump.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I am now 16 weeks into recovery and, not to piss you off, I have made pretty good progress. I am now fighting the urge to get back in the air and its getting more diffucult each weekend. I keep thinking I can make a decent landing and SHOULD be ok. I know I can NOT run a landing out yet but I SHOULD be ok right?

Then I stop and think that walking for the rest of my life sounds like a pretty good thing to be able to do. I have some great friends both on and off the DZ who help me with comments like "Dude, the sky will still be there." and "Sit your ass back down stupid..." (true friends I know)

Heres hoping you heal fast, have a job, and do not rush back too soon.

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."

- Friedrich Nietzsche.

Everything looks dark at the wrong end of the tunnel dude,

Things could have been a lot worse.. just bear that in mind mate, and i'm sure you'll feel a much better. ;)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

i guess I'll count myself lucky.. its been 15 days since i broke my right femur, and gained a new piece of hardware. 7 in the hospital rather drugged up, and 8 out..i can put equal weight on my broken leg when standing, but my range of motion really sucks, and every morning its like starting over again.. by early afternoon i've worked my leg so i can bend it about 10 deg past 90, but i cant straighten it completely without assistance.

at this point the swelling has gone down except around the knee, and i have strength in my thigh, but there seems to be a ''catch" i the knee when i try to move it smoothly. Yesterday i limped around for a while on a single crutch and am trying to get a regular walking motion back.. it just feels like my right quad is waaaaaay to short, and I still have enough pain to require the oxycodon every 6 hours if I want to be able to ‘work it’

i've been working with a massage therapist (such a lovely pain) who is due to come back tues, but at this point most of the physical therapy I've done has been self motivated/researched as they didn’t send me home with an appointment and my check up isn’t till the first week in august..... my standard for jumping again is full range of motion and a two mile jog without pain... I'd love to be there by oct, but i think nov/dec in time for the xmas boogie is more realistic...

ps if you have a choice, go ANYWHERE other than Maricopa county if you are injured at Eloy. They took care of the basics, and seem to have done an excellent job in surgery, but their physical therapy consisted of "here is your crutches".. i had no idea my range of motion was so limited till the day i left...:S i think if they had been working with me since day 2 i wouldn’t have lost all the mobility while i was dancing with Morpheous....I honestly got better care for a fractured/sprained ankle a few years ago, when I hobbled into to a podiatrist the next day…

Damn, Zen - I was in the hospital for two weeks and the bastards wouldn't even let me out of bed. Finally, I told them if they didn't give me some crutches so I could at least hobble to the bathroom, I'd shit on the floor in protestB| - amazing how fast those crutches came out of the closetB|

You'll be alright bro - Once the bones actually start to heal and your muscles loosen up a little you'll find it much easier to bend your leg. Eventually, you'll get the motion back. I mean, you probably won't be participating in any one legged ass kicking contests in the near future but, given some time and effort I'm sure you'll recover.

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."

- Friedrich Nietzsche.

Everything looks dark at the wrong end of the tunnel dude,

Things could have been a lot worse.. just bear that in mind mate, and i'm sure you'll feel a much better. ;)

so right mate, but sometimes it just gets to you and you make a shitty post on the net, i will look back on these and be embarressed..............

in the big scheme of things my injury is not bad, i speak to my friend in NZ who is into month 7 from a serious smash and thank the lord I am not in his position, but sometimes my situation gets to me!!

shit happens hey!!

why am I writing this? cause I spend each day in my house with only my dogs for company, and its getting pretty fucking boring after 10 weeks and no real noticable improvement!!!!

“Each day in my house with only my dogs.. …and no real noticeable improvement?”
Yikes Dude, you need professional help right away. These critters should be doing brain surgery by now.

Try teaching them a different trick as dogs get bored too. Pieces of hot dogs will spark new interest in trick completion & will give you the ‘noticeable improvement’ you desire.

Only train for their attention span which is 15 minutes. Dogs can hear real well, so you don’t have to yell. Hand signals are way cooler anyway.

My suggestion -
Get an old remote and teach ‘em how to locate it. You can disguise it tied to a toy at first then later delete toy. Have them cut away asap as batteries taste icky and have no nutritional value.

Your hand signal for this could be the raised middle finger of your hand.

Just my $1.25 worth
(house call trainers charge $75 an hour)

Ha
Ha
Ha

ps. When I was broken I taught Flea how to 'track' across the carpet.

~AirAnn~

>>Here I'll post a joke in the hopes it'll amuse you:

An elderly couple, Mike (ahem) and Bessie, are vacationing in the Western US. Mike always wanted a pair of authentic cowboy boots. Seeing some on sale one day, he buys them, wears them home, walking proudly.

He walks into their room and says to his wife, "Notice anything different about me?"
Bessie looks him over, "Nope."
Mike says excitedly, "Come on Bessie, take a good look. Notice anything different about me?"
Bessie looks again, "Nope."

Frustrated Mike storms off into the bathroom, undresses, and walks back into the room completely naked except for his boots. Again he asks, a little louder this time,
"Notice anything DIFFERENT NOW?"

Bessie looks up and says, "Mike, what's different? It's hanging down today, it was hanging down yesterday, it'll be hanging down again tomorrow."

Furious, Mike yells:
"AND DO YOU KNOW WHY IT IS HANGING DOWN, BESSIE? IT'S HANGING DOWN BECAUSE IT'S LOOKING AT MY NEW BOOTS!!!"

To which Bessie replies, "Shoulda bought a hat, Mike. Shoulda bought a hat."

:D:D:D

>>Get well soon friend

my standard for jumping again is full range of motion and a two mile jog without pain... I'd love to be there by oct, but i think nov/dec in time for the xmas boogie is more realistic...

:Sha - running two miles without pain - ha - that's funny. It's been almost a year since mine and I can run two miles, but not without pain. My standard for jumping again was just being able to run, period. I could have jumped after 3 months, but I waited 4 months. I still run with pain though.
Zenister did they put the rod in through your knee or your hip? Andy's was through the knee and she's having more trouble than I am having had mine through the hip.

good luck man! I hope you do in fact heal quicker and better than Andy and I have!!!

And one more note on hospitals, wherever you are, don't let the ambulance take you to a hospital that is NOT a trauma center...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

i've been limping around all day on a single crutch (never very far mind you) and haven’t had my Oxycodon since i woke up this morning, just the Advil seems to take the edge off enough to do everything but the more strenuous stretches i've been trying for the last week.... I discovered a hammock is a great tool for slowly flexing with a variable about of weight applied..

they put it in thru the hip. Which everyone says is a very good thing....from the pool pick you posted we've got matching (opposing) scars, but somehow (imagine that) I'll wager yours is faaaar sexier.. :)

i think most of the knee pain i'm having still is from swelling and the tendons as they stretch across, but that is just my slightly educated non-physician opinion, we'll see what the experts say next week..

ps.. If you or Cajones still need to borrow rigs for work, i've now got an infinity with a pd143/stilletto 150 that wont be getting any air time soon...... [:/]