riggerrob

MaterIALS id during Senior Rigger Practical

I was not tested by Dave DeWolf...

I was not required to identify materials as an area of operation/task... In fact, I just reviewed the practical test standards http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-25A.pdf and cannot find (quick glance) any one task in any area of operation where the examiner could ask for identification of random materials as a question in and of itself.... I am sure the examiner could fail any task where the applicant could not identify the material used in the task....

Does Dave DeWolf ask material identification? Under which task/area of operation? What type of materials?

i took dave's course in 2009, there was no materials identification section in the testing. i remember the written test, the packing test, the oral test, and i believe we had to set a grommet as well. might have been some other stuff, but those were the main bits.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Hi Rob,

I answered 5, but that is not a sure thing.

I know that there were at least a few samples for identification. I recall having to be able to quote some of the mil spec numbers.

But it wasn't like there were a whole lot. It maybe could have been 10, but certainly not more.

So, more than 0 and less than 10 left me with 5 as the poll item to check.

-paul

I did the DeWolf course a couple of years ago. We weren't asked to identify samples, but we were given a big book with all sorts of line, webbing, thread, and canopy material to use as a reference and were shown how unknown samples could be matched up to materials in the book for identification.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

None here! I've never heard of that being a part of the Senior rigger practical. During my work with a Senior Rigger, prior to my practical, references to various tapes, webbings and lines, we used the proper 'terms' in regard to them. By the time we were done, I could tell them blindfolded!:D

Chuck

I took it with Kirk Smith in Ottawa last summer.

I don't recall any tests of materials samples, as a specific test - He didn't hand me a sample and ask me to tell him what it was.

BUT - during the practical test, I had to describe the materials that I was using for each task. One was a grommet replacement on a d-bag, and part of the task test was to tell him what size and material the grommet was. Same for the rest of the practical.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I was asked to identify and describe specs on several until he asked one I couldn’t give specs. and then was forced to give the answer he was looking for all along. He wasn’t interested if I knew the answer he wanted to know if I knew where to find it if I didn’t know the answer.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals