Thunderbow

Febreeze on canopy?

I feel your pain. I bought my scuba gear for a great price on eBay and unpacked it to find it absolutely reeked of smoke. It took a lot of washing to get it out. If you jump the canopy a couple times, I'm sure the smell will fade. If not, use a respirator, and give the guy (or gal) an evil look as you're inspecting it. :P

The question is does anybody know if it WILL do any damage. The answer most very likely is NO. Nobody knows.

So? Don't do it. If you haven't bought it yet I would pass. I have in the past on smoker owned equipment. If it was stored such that it smells that bad how well was it stored?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

hang it in an open air condition for several days, the smell will dissipate. I am a smoker, however, don't smoke in the house and my gear is kept in a storage box when in the car. I've actually charged a customer extra for having to hang it so that I could stomach having his gear in my face to pack his reserve. He gave me a tip and from that point on, actually started keeping his gear in a storage container.

Well, the canopy is perfect and obviously must have been stored indoors. I hung it in the garage with a fan on it and sprayed tiny amounts in front of the fan so the canopy didn't actually get wet. This was before your reply. The combination of fresh cold air and the little bit of spray helped a lot. So, I guess I'll be the guinee pig although I really didn't actually spray it right on the material.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

A better question is did the cigarette smoke cause damage to the equipment. In my rope rescue classes it was a sin to smoke around any of the life bearing equipment (ropes and harnesses) due to embers melting things and the toxins in the smoke breaking down fibers over time. I know its a long shot but what if you know.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Any chemical including water will weaken the strength of a canopy fabric. As somebody told you, jump it. Nothing better than fresh air to remove any odor and your parachute will like it.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I am in Michigan and don't smoke. We have 12 inches of snow on the ground. Kind of hard to jump it before I pack it to see if it fits in my rig before i buy it--in my living room. I was just trying to find a way not to puke while packing it. Like I said above, I hung it in the garage with a fan on it. I sprayed a tiny bit of Febreze in front of the fan. The fabric never realy got wet but the smell took hold somewhat. That and the fresh air helped a lot.

My last winter jump was about 25 years ago under a Paracommander onto a frozen lake with about 2 feet of snow on it. Once I got the frost scraped off of my glasses I could see the lake but I couldn't see how hard the ice was under the snow. A lot of things about that jump hurt.

Don't put Febreeze on a canopy. If it stinks of smoke just pack some dryer sheets in the d-bag when you pack it up and it will remove the smell after a little while and won't do any damage to the canopy.

...and what chemicals are in a dryer sheet? :|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Look for yourself on what sheets you use. But if you get a non perfume based sheet there really isn't anything in there in the form of a chemical but the smell will be gone. If you are worried about it touching the canopy, put the canopy in a big rubbermaid tub and tape a sheet to the lid of it. The smell will be gone and nothing touched the canopy.