SkyDivaChristie

Saying Goodbye to your best friend

Yesterday morning, I took our 4 dogs for a run (as I do every morning). When I got home, Sox, our 15 year old Staffordshire Terrier looked like he was struggling to breathe. My fiance, Graham, rushed him to the vet down the road. The vet told Graham that he'd brought him in at the right time. His lungs were collapsing, his heartbeat was irregular and his abdomen was abnormally swollen (possibly cancer). The decision was made to put him down. When Graham got home, he stood in the doorway, arms limp, holding Sox's leash. He was sobbing. He said the vet had never seen a staffie live to 15 and he was just trying to stay alive for us.
Sox had been Graham's buddy since Graham was 10 years old. When his family left Belgium to move to Mozambique, Graham smuggled Sox (still a puppy then) in his hand-luggage.
Yesterday was a terrible day. [:/]

not jumping sux

I am sorry for your loss:(

take some solice in the fact that he had 15 good years, My best friend is also a Staffordshire, and I havent ever heard of one having that long of a life.....

blue skies;
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

He really did have a good life. It's just difficult saying bye.

We had two Alaskan Malamutes, Cyrano and his sister Maggie. She came up lame about a year and a half ago, and was diagnosed with bone cancer. We decided to have the leg amputated, as this would provide the most pain relief. The surgery went well, and Maggie came home about five days later. I fed them, and retired for the night.

When I went to give them their usual morning Milk-Bone the next morning, Maggie didn't respond. I found her behind the yard shed...probably threw a clot overnight. I was VERY broken up over losing this great dog, but Cyrano was devasted. In fact, he still has Mal "crying jags" to this day.:(

Still, it was probably better than the progression of the disease; she had a life expectancy of another year no matter what we did, and much of that in great pain.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but as you've seen by the responses dotcommers are a loving bunch.

We can't elp but sympathize when one of own loses a companion animal; I only hope you get as much support and comfort I earlier this month when we had to say goodbye to Bugs.

Enjoy the meories and be thankful for his long, loving life.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

So sorry to hear that, I know how much it hurts...:( Had to be in the car when mom took my 17 year old Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix in to be put to sleep. [:/] I grew up with Mitzi, and odd enough, she's been gone for 14 years now, but I just thought about her yesterday. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

So sorry to hear about your loss. **BIG HUG**

I had to put my pooch down last summer. She was 13 and had been living with congestive heart failure for over a year. I really thought I was prepared, but when the time came, it was so unbelievably hard. She had fought so long, but this time there was just too much fluid in her lungs, she could hardly breathe. She was exhausted just by walking across the room. She couldn't even lay down because that pushed on her lungs. She was fighting for every ounce of air. It was time to say goodbye.
Oh, my sweet Mitzi. My little mini doxie. We had 8 wonderful years. What a cuddle bug you were. I will remember you always.

It is so hard to outlive your best friend. But we will always cherish the memories of all those good times. All that unconditional love. Sox is at peace now. The hurt will eventually go away, and you'll always cherish the memories.
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

(((hugs))) to you and Graham. Im sorry for the loss of Sox.

I'm fighting kidney failure on my old cat Coco. I give her a subcutaneous IV every night to help flush her out. As long as she tolerates it and still gets around like she does, I'll continue to do it. She's been my buddy for 15 years.

It's the fate of an animal lover to get hurt when they die. They dont live as long as we do and we will say good bye to several pets during our lives. I remember fondly my severely cross bread sheaperd like dog with his white fur and large red spots. E.T. was a good dog that could escape any attempt to keep him in the yard. He usually waited for me at the bus stop after school. I got teased alot about that, but E.T. always seemed so happy to see me, I could not get angry.
There is a lot of stuff worth doing but then there is a lot of stuff worth doing instead.