SkiesTheLimit4u

Any Suggestions??

Alright, no laughing here... I thought of this in lieu of me having to buy my own rig... We all get creative when it comes to skydiving, don't we :)I'm trying to put together a presentation for the corporate office of my companies advertising committee.
My idea is (as you all have guessed) a main with their logo.
I am a Realtor and think we should have a parachute with our logo on it, kind of like the Re/Max Balloon.
Everyone I've talked to thinks it's a great idea but I need to put together a "really good" presentation.
Any suggestions from anyone?

What are you going to offer them in exchange? ;)

A lot of people that have sponsored gear do demos, public events etc for their sponsor. They also are the type of people that are on the top of their game and can promote their sponosor as much as possible. At the experience level of your profile you are not ready to do demos yet and just public speaking events are hard to promote unless you have some reason to draw people in like gold medals.

The Re/Max ballon is known across the country as a great example of advertising dollars well spent because every time the ballon goes up hundreds if not thousands of people see it. They use it in their TV ads, etc. What you need to figure out is how can they get the same milage for their $ with you as they do with the ballon. If you were jumping their canopy into the Super Bowl its easy to get sponsored, jumping at a DZ has no crowds or impact for them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks, Great advice. I had already thought about jumping it at different events... I have talked to several people at my DZ that are qualified to jump at events and am willing to coordinate these jumps on top of my personal jumps.
At events the company would have to pay the skydiver to jump into it... So this is something I have to make sure they are aware of.
The rest of the time I and (if I can't) others have said they would gladly jump "for the cause" for advertising...
They are all experienced jumpers..
I don't think my company will have an issue with the additional costs though maybe with the initial cost (the rig). I've already contacted PD for a quote on the main (with the Logo) and planned on getting a basic (kind of like a student) container that would be generic enough that others could wear it...
:)I'm also collaborating information on who would see it , how many would see it and the overall exposure...
How am I doing so far???

Good start, now go get your D licence and PRO rating so you can jump it off the DZ. ;)

Look up the costs of doing demos. Your company might balk a little at buying your gear at $5k then having to pay $1500+ per jump for you to jump into a company picnic.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've already contacted PD for a quote on the main (with the Logo)

If you contacted Performance Designs directly, they're going to tell you to contact a dealer for a price quote. You will need to know the exact canopy and size you want and you will need to have camera ready artwork to send to the dealer so they can send it to PD to get the quote.

planned on getting a basic (kind of like a student) container that would be generic enough that others could wear it...

Get a sport container that fits you. If someone else needed to jump your logoed canopy for a demo they could put it in their rig.

Additionally, something to consider is that it doesn't cost much at all to have this done to your canopy. If your company doesn't mind the measly $1000 to $2000 extra on a canopy..hell that's nothing for advertising. It's probably not a bad idea, even if they don't really get much in return. I say go for it.

PcCoder.net

Yep, that's a pretty good idea to get yourself a nice canopy.

You might want to take note of this little tale, though.

A good friend of mine, Art, an awesome skydiver with well over 7000 jumps, heads a team that regularly does skydives into Alltel Stadium for Jacksonville Jaguar games. Last year, Wachovia bought him a canopy to jump into one of the Jaguars' night games; Wachovia wanted their logo on it and they said he could keep the canopy once the demo was done. Here's the thread about that event: Clicky

I've also attached a picture of the canopy flying above the stadium.

He did keep the canopy for a while, until one of Wachovia's lawyers asked "What happens if someone gets hurt skydiving while jumping that canopy with our name on it? What if someone is flying that canopy and hits someone on the ground?"

Unfortunately, those questions and the discussion they generated regarding liabilities spooked Wachovia enough for them to go back on their offer and demand that Art send them the canopy. Art says it's sitting on a shelf in some office somewhere in North Carolina.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that you bring those legal issues into your presentation; I do think, however, it would be wise to have educated, well prepared and well researched answers to questions like those from Wachovia's lawyers - if they come up. You had said al your friends who would jump the canopy during "events" are all experienced - pro rated, if need be? So will the company pick up the cost of insurance? And will they provide you with insurance just for jumping the canopy, especially since it's going to have their name and logo on it?

Food for thought.

Good luck.

FunBobby

Edited for a typo

Extremely good point!
The cost of adding a graphic on to a canopy compared to the cost of liability insurance is almost unsignificant. As a matter of fact, very few insurance companies are willing to cover 2nd or 3rd party liability when it comes to skydiving. I was turned down 2 weeks ago by the biggest underwritter in the world to insure 3rd party liability...
In some European countries, probably not an issue, but in the US...[:/]

Nick

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Look at your name 'Skies the limit'! Why not suggest they use that as a jingle eg 'the Skies the limit when it comes to our service' with a pick of a parachute and their logo on it. The shot is over the top of your canopy with real estate in the background.

Realtor means real estate I presume.

Don't present it on its own though, because your going to volunter, right? Mock up some other ideas and let them pick.

My ideas for what it's worth. :-)

He did keep the canopy for a while, until one of Wachovia's lawyers asked "What happens if someone gets hurt skydiving while jumping that canopy with our name on it? What if someone is flying that canopy and hits someone on the ground?"

Just like a lawyer to ruin everyone's fun. How paranoid is this country getting?>:(

All great suggestions... The liability question sure might come up since we just had a similar thing happen. The DZ I jump out of jumps into the CU of Boudler Stadium every year after "The Boulder Bolder" race. This year the winds kicked up so bad that only 1 person landed in the middle of the stadium (on the mark). One landed on top of a spectator in the stands (she went to the hospital), one on a rooftop, one in a tree... Well you get the idea. There was nothing they could do but it was all over the news, so that question most certainly will come up. I'll most certainly try to have an answer for that question.:)

I contacted someone at square 1 and they did send it to PD with the graphics I provided. It's been 2 weeks and I still don't have a quote, I'll be checking on it today.
Yes your also right if the my container doesn't fit the person jumping it into the event, we can have it put into their container.

This is my backup plan... I buy the rig and have them pay for the logo...
My #1 plan is to see if they will buy the entire rig, maybe wishful thinking but, I'm going for it.
The best thing will be that (with the logo on it) every time I jump-I can write it off---YEAH!! Kind of like getting paid to jump :)

Isn't it funny how insurance companies have an issue with skydiving but will insure just about anyone with a car... Haven't they seen the stats on people getting hurt, hurting someone else or even killed or killing someone else in a car versus skydiving.
Ignorant isn't it.......
Sounds like we need to put together a presentation just to get insured ;)

I actually own www.TheSkiesTheLimit4u.com, though right now it just goes to my real estate site that has nothing about skydiving. (That's about to change). My headshot is going to turn into a shot of me Skydiving.

I had the same idea to use that quote on all my advertising. My business card has a blue sky background with clouds on it and a floating door too. Hard to describe, I think you would have to see it.

But your suggestion for the slogan, just gave me an idea....
I could pitch that they can do some PR with the slogan "At Metro Brokers The Skies the limit when it comes to our service" or something like that...

Great idea too of the shot with the real estate in the background
Thanks for all your Great suggestions!!

*Just a dissenting opinion to think about*
Don't
The company is not going to get any value for the expense and they may end up being unhappy about that. There is a reason there's no advertising in skydiving and also a reason skydiving isn't in the x-games anymore. It is simply not a spectator sport. It may seem like a good idea now, but a very good rule of thumb is to keep your work your work and leave your personal business in the parking lot when you go to work. As I thought about it, it occurred to me that if your business cards were skydiving related and everything about you was linked to that, I would tend to think you are a bit off and avoid working with you. Your job is to sell property, not skydiving. And yes, this is a phase that happens to nearly every skydiver. Sit down for a while and wait for the feelings to go away. If you jeopardize your income, you won't be making very many jumps.

I see your point. I guess I was a little fueled by Re/Max having a skydiving Team... Though maybe it's an old team and no longer in existence... I don't know.
I also think that having something that makes you stand out is a good thing... No matter what you do some people will agree and some disagree. All my clients know I skydive and they talk about me when I'm not around because I skydive.
Just this morning I met some clients and they brought their extended family (mom, dad, and 2 nieces) in no time they were introducing me as their "Skydiving Realtor".
I know some people think us skydivers are adrealine junkies and crazy, so who knows what's right???
Thanks for the input