bbrockwell

Local DGIT

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. The reactions that this jumper received after this last incident seemed to have struck a chord with him, and it's this that makes me think that he'll eventually realize that he's got to calm down. A few of the local jumpers, too, have told me that they're no longer willing to fly with him until his actions improve, and that's a start.

What I don't want anyone to think, however, is that this jumper is heartless, or callous, or is being purposefully reckless. I do honestly believe that he just doesn't know what he's doing, and that it's his inexperience that's leading him to take certain risks that he can't yet handle.

Part of the issue, too, is: How much risk should we allow him to take, and at what point during his progression as a jumper? Different people are willing to take different levels of risk, and everyone has their own degree of risk tolerance. This jumper has always been a risk taker. To be fair, to some degree we have to allow individuals the freedom, within certain reasonable bounds, to take certain risks; it is, after all, how progress is made. But this guy, though deep down he might not mean to, has crossed the line.

I feel that it's on us, then, as his skydiving peers, to teach him to take the right risks, for his ability and experience level, and to teach him to wait until his ability and experience improve before taking certain other, more dangerous ones. And, after this last incident, he definitely has to learn that there are some - like those that endanger other people completely unwillingly - that he should never take.

I just hope that, if he wants to be a risk taker, that he can learn to do it the right way. And he certainly can't be endangering anyone else in the process... ever.

bsbd,

ben

I also had never heard of a DGIT. I have always referred to them as STBDMF's. (soon to be dead mother fuckers).

Which is why, they're called DGIT's~ ;):ph34r:

Hey, I think I was on the plane with you this weekend...I'm the old guy goin' solo on all the tandem loads, with the flags and banners...:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I also had never heard of a DGIT. I have always referred to them as STBDMF's. (soon to be dead mother fuckers).

Which is why, they're called DGIT's~ ;):ph34r:

Fortunately most of them don't make it to the big leagues. 2/3 of the guys I knew were going to kill themselves actually didn't. OTOH, all of the survivors needed at least one trip to the hospital and only one of those trips didn't involve broken bones (heart problems from doing too many drugs).

You want to know how to phrase it, here it is:

"You know dude, the way people are talking about you right now...it's the same way people used to talk about Kuske, with the possible exception that we are all worried you are going to take one or more people with you."

Aside from that, it sounds like some progress has been made, but I'm concerned about what's going to happen next time...

My solution would be for all of the senior jumpers to ostracize him for an entire weekend, and make it very clear why it is happening, and make it very clear that next weekend he will get a shot at being brought back into the fold.

If that fails, he's got to go no matter how nice a guy he is. I agree with you that banning him now will just send him to a new DZ and not really put an end to the stupid, but you can only do so much before the risk to yourself and your friends is no longer worth it.

-daless

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Your concern that he will simply travel to another DZ is easy to handle. A brief call with a heads-up for the other area DZOs will let them know to keep an eye out for the guy. Even in the middle of Florida or Sol Cal, this would only amount to 10 or 15 calls, and should take less than an hour total.

Ignorant question here, but if the jumper is dangerously reackless and will not improve their ways after being talked to at length etc. can't their jumping permit just be suspended or even revoked?

ETA that I'm talking about serious infractions here.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Do jump with him. Tell him why you are jumping with him. He'll either figure it out improve his skills or become a skysurfer. ;)

Fixed it for ya... I like this answer better...

But some people are resistant to learning. Why waste your time and money on them. This is a recreational sport, not a social works program.[:/]

But some people are resistant to learning.

John...you're SO politically correct, here in Texas we call 'em 'morons'! :ph34r:;)

Here in California, we call 'em Texans.:o

*runs for cover*
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

John...you're SO politically correct, here in Texas we call 'em 'morons'! :ph34r:;)

Here in California, we call 'em Texans.:o

*runs for cover*

Yeah right....wanna but some electrical power again...give ya'll a great price! :P

We recently had someone come to our dropzone that had a little over 100 jumps. He said he came from an extremely small dropzone that consisted of 3 other fun jumpers and him. As I mentioned previously he only had around 100 jumps. We were sitflying, and right out the door he went head down. He corked about 5 seconds out the door, and when he lost it he almost took me out in the process. He did not seem to really be in control of any body position. Then as we were coming into land he did a front riser 180 to initiate his landing. I do not have much more experience than he does. Other than not jumping with him again, how should I handle this situation? Oh, and he was already flying with a camera helmet. Should there be more enforcement of the USPA recommendations?

Maybe in your part of Texas, in my part we call them dumb asses, we have no use for ignorant fucks that wont listen and learn:ph34r:
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Maybe in your part of Texas, in my part we call them dumb asses, we have no use for ignorant fucks that wont listen and learn:ph34r:

Yeah...you're farther North than me....:ph34r:

As far as the ignorant fucks line...that's more West Texas IIRC! ;)

Other than not jumping with him again, how should I handle this situation?

I'd talk to the S&TA as a first option... maybe he or she could have a chat with the jumper as a beginning step. It could just be that he hadn't had much (any?) guidance at his old dropzone and doesn't realize how risky his behavior is. Describe what happened and why you're concerned (he's putting you at risk so you can put it in terms of being concerned for your own safety) and see what the S&TA says.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

[email][email]

Yeah...you're farther North than me....:ph34r:

As far as the ignorant fucks line...that's more West Texas IIRC! ;)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Im sorry for my use of West Texas sayings, but if you want to give them credit for it then so be it. They must be some smart fuckers:D:ph34r:
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

And your obvious desire to ostracize him and push him away will make him go to another dz where they don't know him and he'll keep doing the same shit until someone DOES get hurt... what does that solve? Not a dam'n thing.... take him up on 2 & 3 ways and work on his skills...oh, wait.. I forgot, skydivers don't pay it forward or help those who obviously need it....

I'm all for paying it forward and helping other jumpers. What I'm not for is being the one he hurts. I can best avoid being that one by not being on the plane with him.

If that makes me a bad person, so be it. It may also keep me alive and I'm okay with that.

take him up on 2 & 3 ways and work on his skills...oh, wait.. I forgot, skydivers don't pay it forward or help those who obviously need it....

Oh Bullshit.

We are not talking about someone who needs to works on their skills and is willing to do so.

We're talking about someone who refuses help.
Remster

Your concern that he will simply travel to another DZ is easy to handle. A brief call with a heads-up for the other area DZOs will let them know to keep an eye out for the guy. Even in the middle of Florida or Sol Cal, this would only amount to 10 or 15 calls, and should take less than an hour total.

Ignorant question here, but if the jumper is dangerously reackless and will not improve their ways after being talked to at length etc. can't their jumping permit just be suspended or even revoked?

ETA that I'm talking about serious infractions here.

Baksteen brings up a pretty good questions:

Under what circumstances, if possible at all, can you get your license revoked?