Vallerina

Champagne!

1) Why isn't this a more popular drink? Why can't I order it at most bars?
2) What is the best cheap champagne out there? My vote is for Ballatore!
3) What's the expensive champagne (Cristal) really like?

1 Some bars you can
2 Moet is pretty good
3 yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm Cristal is wonderful! Not such a bad hang over if you drink to much, Dom is not so good
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

vintage of Dom Perignon ($350/bottle)

It's not Dom if it's not vintage. That's why you only see it dated every few years.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

1) Why isn't this a more popular drink? Why can't I order it at most bars?
2) What is the best cheap champagne out there? My vote is for Ballatore!
3) What's the expensive champagne (Cristal) really like?

Once you open a bottle, it doesn't keep long. So unless the bar is moving a lot of it, it's not practical to sell by the glass. I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere but a wine bar, even here in lush land San Francisco.

2- how cheap is cheap? I find most CA sparklers too sweet, but Roederer Estate is an exception. Their Brut Rose runs around 20 or so.

3- if you find red wine oily (that's got to be a very small sampling of the vast types out there), you might not like Dom. I thought La Grande Damme was much better at that same ~100$ point in a blind tasting (I poured out half of the Dom).

Bout hang overs, fri night i drank liquor & then beer = horrid hangover Saturday[:/].
Sat night I drank:
2 glasses champagne
4 glasses sweet white whine
a big bottle of TGI friday's pre-mixed white russion (12.5% alco)
and 2 glasses of a vodka/sprite drink

I had ABSOLUTELY no hangover on Sunday... I gotta start mixing it up more often - thank you Val for the inspiration:)

Everything you drank on Saturday was 'white' or 'light'. Did you drink dark liquor on Friday?~~April

Unfortunately not, rasberry vodka w/ Sprite & then a pilsiner beer - both also light. I'm thinking it might've been the sprite, guess it has to be alcohol only.:)

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Once you open a bottle, it doesn't keep long.

But they have the single serving sized bottles.

I occasionally see them, but in general it's hard to get even the 375 (half bottles) of good wine. The cost of the goods is nearly the same as a full bottle, and the contents tend to age faster.

I'm told that the half bottles are much more common in Europe. Would be nice. I now keep my empties and use them when I don't want to drink a whole bottle.

My favorite "value" sparklers are from Schramsberg. You should be able to find their low end bottle (Mirabelle) for around $13 or so. For sweet, you have GOT to try their cremant demi-sec. It's not too tough to find, nor is it that expensive (<$30 for sure). For a terrific flavor pairing, try it with some good crackers with cream cheese & jalapeno jelly on them. mmmmmmm Schramsberg also covers the traditional bases, with blanc de blanc (chardonnay), blanc de noir (pinot noir), and rose (blended chard/pinot) sparklers,

As someone else mentioned, Veuve-Clicquot is a very good mid-priced label. They also make a non-vintage demi-sec that is somewhat better than the Schramsberg, but it's also more expensive. At the high-end, Veuve makes La Grande Dame, which is typically terrific, with a price to match.

I don't think you'll find a sweet Cristal, and if you do, I'd suspect there's something wrong with it. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

1) Yes, that's why I said you can't at most.
2) Robyn, isn't that what you bought????
3) I'm jealous. I want to try Cristal. Is it sweet? I like 'em sweet!

Yep, Val, that's what I bought on Saturday...yummmmm....Now I am thirsty...:D:D:D...Champagne...:ph34r:...

~R+R:)...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

3) I'm jealous. I want to try Cristal. Is it sweet? I like 'em sweet!

If you like sweet bubbly stuff, the Italian Moscoto D' Asti is something for you to try. Half as bubbly, mildly sweet, low alcohol - 5% is typical. Priced in the teens.

I can't believe I forgot to mention those. I like the Santo Stefano Moscato D'Asti myself. Serve very chilled on hot afternoons, while hot-tubbing, or with/for dessert. An inexpensive domestic variant is Tualitin Estate's Semi-Sparkling Muscat.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So..my champagne story. Never had it til the ole wedding day. 8:30 in the morning, after our hot air balloon almost drowned us in the lake. Anyway, the fishermen on the catamaran have a good luck charm--something about drinking champagne on the way back to shore (I can't remember everything, it's been a stinkin year;)--anyway) so the catamaran is going back to shore, we're all getting loaded on champagne, it was great, just me and my new hubby, champagne in hand, watchin the mtns go by...*sigh* complementary bottle of champagne (windsor vineyards) for being married in their balloon and two glasses to go with with the hot air balloon etched on one side and the prayer on the other. Then another complementary bottle from the staff at our honeymoon suite. Not a bad day:)

I like Moet & Chandon, but much prefer Don Perignon Vintage 1996.

Pro's: Little seductive yummy bubbles go straight to your head :D

Con's: Cost £80. Doesn't feel good frothing out your nose :S
**Those who refuse to live and learn simply exist**

"That's champenoise method sparkling wine, not champagne"

You are of course correct Rem, aplogies, and I'd be the first to correct you if you started talking about French Scotch.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson