jb88ci

Z1 Factory Paint

Anyone had problems with the quality of their new Z1's?

I just received my new helmet and it looks like a factory second or cheap chinese knock off at best.

The plastic is pitted and has grinding marks in it. The paint is lousy with imperfections like hair, dust and incomplete coverage or uneven coverage of the metal flake. I'm super disgusted to have paid $300 bucks for a non CSA approved helmet that went through their QA system.

I emailed parasport, hopefully they'll refinish it or cut me a discount so i won't have to eat the new paint job.

No happy NGD (new gear day) for me :(...or maybe i'm just too picky.

Its painted plastic. Don't expect to much from it and you will be happy. After a few times setting your rig on it in your trunk it will flex and paint crack. Plus after you bang your head after a few exits you will have chips in it too. ;)

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

Z1s have never been known for their paint/finish quality. But they're nice helmets and they last a long time. My suggestion is to toss it onto concrete to get that first decent mark and then stop worrying bout it.

Mine is probably 7-8 years old now and it's still in good shape. They don't scratch up THAT easily. If I needed a new helmet, I'd buy another Z1. There are plenty of nice helmets available, but everything seems to have more problems with the visors than the Z1.

Dave

Please,,,,[:/] see the posts above you,,its a plastic product,,,,,its not a BMW for chrssakes..

Pleassssssse $300 is 300 bucks

thats pretty much the point. If I'd bought it off ebay from Square1 marked as a factory second with paint blem's, I wouldn't care...this stuff is overpriced as it is and then for it to pass through the quality control system with some guys hair stuck in the paint?

IF you're not happy with it and IF you can, send it back and buy a Mamba...

Good looking, all carbone, as reliable as the Z1, no misperfection, no tricky chin pin... for the same price!

+1B|

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

>>I emailed parasport, hopefully they'll refinish it or cut me a discount so i won't have to eat the new paint job.
<<

Why are you posting here before you get an answer from the manufacturer? How can you question their ingetrity in a public forum before giving them the decency of responding to your displeasure?

I have sold many Z1 helmets and had both good products and exceptional customer service. I'm sure you will be treated well. I would hope you offer the same treatment to the vendor.

Skydiving is a community. Skydiving equipment manufacturers are comprised of skydivers. Many of whom have given up great careers to pursue their passion of skydiving and bring better products to our community. If you show them the respect they deserve as a fellow skydiver, they will go above and beyond to make you happy and welcome you to the community.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Definitely stick with the Z1, you will love it...

As for the imperfections, they wouldn't bother me but if you can get some compensation... then why not. I have the "soft" paint on my Z1 and it is pretty easily scratched and scuffed.

As for the 'chin pin' it is the opposite of "tricky". It makes for very simple one hand opening of the visor. Just use your index finger to push in the button and your thumb under the lip of the visor and it will open easily, even with gloves on. Other than the comfort it is the one function I like best about the helmet.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

My experience with Parasport. This was just last week.

I send an email to [email protected] about the collar pulling loose in my Z1 after years of carrying it around by the material.Received a responce within 30 minutes from Melissa who is in Italy. Asked me my problem and location. Sent me a copy of her email to Teresha at Unfeathered (US Rep)asking her to contact me which she promptly did, and off it went the next day in a box for repairs. Give them a chance[:/]

Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Well, I heard from Melissa who asked me to send pictures. She then told me that my helmet would be replaced and that the US distributor would be contacting me.

So, I'm getting my helmet replaced but I'm still disappointed it passed quality control like that. But hey, everyone has a bad day..maybe it was a wednesday helmet.

>>I emailed parasport, hopefully they'll refinish it or cut me a discount so i won't have to eat the new paint job.
<<

Why are you posting here before you get an answer from the manufacturer? How can you question their ingetrity in a public forum before giving them the decency of responding to your displeasure?

I have sold many Z1 helmets and had both good products and exceptional customer service. I'm sure you will be treated well. I would hope you offer the same treatment to the vendor.

Skydiving is a community. Skydiving equipment manufacturers are comprised of skydivers. Many of whom have given up great careers to pursue their passion of skydiving and bring better products to our community. If you show them the respect they deserve as a fellow skydiver, they will go above and beyond to make you happy and welcome you to the community.

+1+1+1

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Well now...i was told by Melissa at Parasport my helmet would be replaced. I was contacted by Theresha at Unfeathered Service who stated:

“We are the service reps for Parasport Italia in the USA and they asked that
I contact you about your Z-1 helmet that has a finish problem. We will be
happy to replace your helmet. Please contact this office when you have
shipped the helmet and we will immediately ship yours out.”

I sent the helmet back in Feb, Theresha later told me a rep from parasport was coming to the US and would look at my helmet while there.

I got a response from Paolo at Parasport today.

In short he says my helmet is in better shape than the pictures show :S and that while the paint isn't perfect, its an acceptable standard for 'our' industry where small batches are hard to control [:/]

I was offered a refund...no thanks, i'm into this thing for about 60 bucks in shipping back and forth already.... how about honoring the first two offers to replace it. If its par for the product, sell it to someone else.

As far as hair and dirt being typical in their paint jobs? I disagree..i've looked at a bunch of Z1's and none of them have pubes in teh paint...ok, its an eyelash or mustache hair but just the same, its not right.

Wow... I'm surprised to hear that response. That is pretty disapointing. Is there actually a hair in the paint or a print mark from a hair? An actual hair in the paint would bother me the other stuff would not.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

All though that is not a response I would want if there really was a problem, I gotta tell ya man, I jump a Z1, and in 15 jumps, those scratches will dwarf in comparison to the new scratches you get. I promise noone will see those little scratches in the air.:P

-Evo

Zoo Crew

I totally agree that on and after the first jump it will be scratched and the scratches will dwarf in comparison to the hair and other inclusions in the paint. The difference being that I put them there, not the painter.

I don't think that excuses the Mfr from implementing some simple form of quality control, say something as simple as issuing the painter a tac cloth...cost $2.00, time to use…30 seconds a helmet.

I read what paolo et al had to say about this being a niche industry etc. Seriously though, CKX can fabricate a full face CSA approved helmet with no hair in the gel coat for $69. The other skydiving helmet mfrs can fabricate other thermo plastic helmets with no inclusions in the paint for $300.

Parasport may be willing to consider that dust and hair in the paint is acceptable but WE , the consumers do not have to buy them. There are options out there and we don’t have to accept sub par products. I’d almost understand if the tag in the helmet said ‘made in china’, you get what you pay for. I paid $320…..

Actually, I do know why Parasport thinks this is OK. Because we continue to buy these products at these prices and not send them back when they don’t meet our personal standards.

Wonder what goes into their altimeters......

BTW, the vendor, has been awesome and even though this is not their fault and Parasport bailed on their end of the deal, ie replacing the helmet as promised, twice. The vendor is sending me an alternate product and shipped it gratis.

Needless to say, I won't be recommending Z1's or any other parasport product at our DZ ever again.

I too agree that if one paid the full price, the helmet should be as expected.. If the scratches and marks would be ok, one would've bought a second hand helmet..

But I think the quality and protection of Z1 is so poor anyways I won't be using one.. I bought one used, and sold it shortly afterwards.