ianmdrennan

Nate Gilbert

This is such a loss for skydiving and our world and the world at large. Nate was a fantastic human being. He made the people around him better, through his example and his teaching.

This may sound crazy but he made me proud of myself....it's goofy but I sell parachutes, and watching him fly his always made me say "Fuck, that is the way a parachute is meant to be flown"

Though I didn't know Nate extremely well, every contact I ever had with the man was a positive experience, there aren't many people I can say that about.....

This sport has lost an great ambassador.....

My heart aches for Katie and all of his friends and family, I want to express to them my very deepest sympathies

Aubrey-
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

After spending the night at the hospital and leaving with hope in my heart, ...........getting the news this morning, .................the pain is imeasureable.

For me not only was an amazing skydiver lost this morning, but a coach, a mentor, and above all else a friend.

The hardest thing in the world was to see such a kindred spirit lie still, fighting with everything he had, but lying still. My heart brakes for Katie, Ian, Jason, and the rest of Nate's family, it's just not fair.

I take some comfort in knowing that Nate went doing what he loved to do.

I just miss my friend.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

I was talking today with Nancy Tremblay, a great woman who is the heart of Ouragan Suits, and she's making me a custom freefly suit. She is a truly sweet, dear person (whom I've met twice and emailed lots), and she herself has a husband who suffered a severe skydiving injury. She is still by his side as he gains strength, and her own strength is to be admired. She asked me if I knew Nate Gilbert, and I said that I did not, but had heard he was injured. It saddened me when Nancy told me that he had died. I offer my condolences to all his friends and family. When Nancy told me that Nate had been trying to intercept a cutaway for someone else, it drew a picture in my mind of a friendly, helpful, skilled and confident skydiver, and yes, we are all victims of loss for having him gone now.

I believe that when we die here we go to where we want to be and we have peace, so the sadness partly goes away when I think that Nate is now where the T-storms never roll in during the jump day, but maybe at night to make soothing sounds for bedtime. Peace, Nate.

-Jeffrey

He shot my first tandem. He was so incredibly nice to me. I'm very upset and my heart goes out to him and his Katie and family.

I will always treasure my video with his voice and canopy in it.

Blue Skies, Nate. I didn't know you as well as some of the folks at the DZ, but I will treasure your memory just the same.

Bill

I have only known Nate for about a month. He went out of his way to introduce himself and was always playful and friendly even to perfect strangers. His talent was incredible...he was the highlight of watching the swoopers @ ASC. I took the attached picture of him just 2 weeks ago.

Blue skies Nate. May God comfort your family and friends.

Shane

i never knew nate, but i've seen the effect his passing has had on several guys i work w/ at sda. I send my best to friends and family of his.

vibes and hugs.

Katie and Nate,

Your last text to us at Wildwood "You need to be here, right now!"

Oh god, I can't tell you how much I wish we were.

We always look at the two of you like a mirror of us. Or at the very least, an inspiration. Your love for each other burns so bright and touches everyone who sees you.

Katie, grieve deep and let your friends, who love you both, help you find light when you're able.

Your beautiful angel will never leave you.

Love and empathy,
Shani and Heath

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

standing around at tecumseh on saturday night i tried to listen to people tell their stories about Nate!
there were some of his closest michigan friends! some were freeflyers of course, some were his initial jumpmasters, can you imagine being able to say you were Nathan Gilberts jumpmaster!!!
even people who didn't neccessarily like some of the chances he took during his jumping and swooping.

but they all had nothing but the fondest memories of the person that Nate was and strove to be. Nate, who i am proud to say was a friend, you will be missed and admired by everyone that you smiled at or laughed with..............

Nate, i expect that you will have all the angels tracking in no time, save a grip for me when i get there!

peace,
brent

Ian and Jason and Katie, i hope you all know that you all are in everyones heart, grieve with frineds and share your pain, you have a world of friends to lean on!

~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

P.S. the tree in the spectator/packing area will never be the same, the leaves will actually grow back.

the tree even seemed sad this weekend, i think it misses that smile too!

brent

~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

Nate and I just met last week at the end of the swoop pond after videoing landings. We spoke about the Atlanta freefly record. The other day someone, visiting Crosskeys from Atlanta, showed some video of fun jumping down there...at the same time, informed us of the news. You could see in Nate's face that he simply enjoyed flying and was precise about movement in the air. From this, I can say that we lost a brother who was truly devoted to life, the people around him, and amping the sport. He is obviously going to be missed by many including myself. Blue Skies forever.

Nate will truly be missed, not only did he excel in all he did, but he brought out the best in others as well.

My deepest sympathy to all.

Flying Hellfish #31
"I'm not allowed to talk about it till after the trial"
www.SkydiveTecumseh.com

Were going to miss you down here brother, my best wishes for you and your journeys and my sincerest condolences for your family and Katie. May you fly the blue skies forever brother, my prayers are with you! Blue Skies, Dave Hebert
Free Flight is the way of the future! Learn how and get on board the adventure train!!