blue_msp

Newbie needs gear advice

Hi all,

I got my A liscense a few months ago and would like to buy used gear because renting gear sucks so I need advice.

I am 5'11 and 145 pounds without gear. I currently rent a 190 sq ft but most of my jumps have been on a Sabre 2 - 200 sq ft. I am happy jumping the 190 but my instructor would like to get me down to a 170. I am a very conservative jumper with great landings but prefer to downsize slowly.

I have been looking at the classifieds and found several options:

Below is a sabre 2 - 170sq ft but says it fits someone 190lbs. Can a rigger make it fit me since I'm smaller?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=88604;d=1

This one has a 210 main, 190 reserve, and sounds like it was never jumped. Could I sell the 210 and buy a 170-190 main?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=88468;d=1

May be too big:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=88418;d=1

This sounds good but is pricey.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=88193;d=1

My main problem with finding used gear is my height/weight. There doesn't seem to be much beginner gear available for tall thin people. Can a rigger resize container straps to fit someone my size? Also, should I buy a 190 or a 170?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

At your weight and if your instructor says go a 170 i would say that u should listen to him. Dont worry too much about finding a rig that the on paper doesn't fit u exactly. I reakon the sabre 2 rig is okay, even though the owner is heavier than you, it should still fit u okay. The weight is not so much of an issue as the height of a person and most rigs can go a couple of inches either side on the height.

First for FYI there is nothing such as a SABRE 2 -200. Their size is either 190 or 210.

If your instructor tells you to go on a Sabre 2-170 you should at least to give it a try. You might be surprised to find out a more powerful flare with the Sabre 2-170 with respect to the Sabre 2-190 because of the speed. At your weight 145 + 25 = 170 lbs of exit weight you will be in a very conservative mode with a Sabre 2-170 with a wing loading of 1.00 lbs/square feet
Remember to behave like a pilot, fly it straight forward in short final after having planed your approach from at least 1500 feet. Make sure to have plenty of space ahead of you at landing. And tell us how it was.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

My main problem with finding used gear is my height/weight. There doesn't seem to be much beginner gear available for tall thin people. Can a rigger resize container straps to fit someone my size?

The more important measurement is the length of the harness, which is related to your height. If you can find a rig from a jumper about your height, the harness should work for you. You may have to tighten the legstraps more than the last guy, but that's no big deal.

In any case, you will need to have the gear inspected by a local rigger before you buy. This will include you trying it on, to see what's what. The rigger can tell you if it needs any alterations or adjustments and what they will cost, and you can factor this into your purchase price.

Do a search on DZ.com for how to buy used gear in terms of paying for things, shipping things, having things inspected, returning things, and when the sale is really 'final'. There are ten different ways to handle the situation.

In terms of the canopy, call PD and request a demo Sabre2 170. They will ship you one for a very small fee ($30? $35?) and I think you get it for two weekends. Either way, see if the DZ will hook it up to the rental rig that usually holds the 190, and jump it for a day. If you like it, and feel confident, buy the 170. If it's too fast, buy a 190. You'll never know until you try, and from the outside it sounds like a reasonable downsize between your weight, and an endorsement from your instructor.

My main problem with finding used gear is my height/weight. There doesn't seem to be much beginner gear available for tall thin people. Can a rigger resize container straps to fit someone my size?

The more important measurement is the length of the harness, which is related to your height. If you can find a rig from a jumper about your height, the harness should work for you. You may have to tighten the legstraps more than the last guy, but that's no big deal.

In any case, you will need to have the gear inspected by a local rigger before you buy. This will include you trying it on, to see what's what. The rigger can tell you if it needs any alterations or adjustments and what they will cost, and you can factor this into your purchase price.

Do a search on DZ.com for how to buy used gear in terms of paying for things, shipping things, having things inspected, returning things, and when the sale is really 'final'. There are ten different ways to handle the situation.

In terms of the canopy, call PD and request a demo Sabre2 170. They will ship you one for a very small fee ($30? $35?) and I think you get it for two weekends. Either way, see if the DZ will hook it up to the rental rig that usually holds the 190, and jump it for a day. If you like it, and feel confident, buy the 170. If it's too fast, buy a 190. You'll never know until you try, and from the outside it sounds like a reasonable downsize between your weight, and an endorsement from your instructor.

When I demo'd from PD last summer, it was more like $90 something, although I found out later that if I'd had my gear dealer/DZO request the demo instead of requesting it myself, it would have been much cheaper ($50-60? I don't remember exactly). Anyone considering demo'ing from them might have their gear dealer call to see if the prices are still different.

That said, knowing that the reserve I bought was the right size and that I was comfortable with it was well worth the ~hundred dollars I spent demo'ing it. And the price does include shipping both directions.

I'm just going to address one aspect of your question. You ask if you could buy a 210, sell it, then get a 170; get leg straps resized, etc. These kinds of things are possible, but I think in general you'll be better off to buy the right thing to begin with rather than buying the wrong thing and trying to make it right. Trying a demo canopy before you buy anything is a great idea.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Hop in your car and drive down to the Skydive Expo in Deland. You will be able to demo almost anything and everything on the market. Especially canopies.

And at the same time a factory rep will brief and debrief your landings, packing, everything.

This way you can demo something on one jump and something else on the next.

Grab a friend and share the driving and fuel.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.