linny

my Boss said he hopes my parachute doesnt open!!!

today when my boss was yelling at me, not only did he threaten me with "if you ever blindside me again, i'll blindside you." ........ but he followed that up with "the next time you go parachuting, your parachute won't open and you'll hit the ground really hard and break your legs!"

at that moment i almost puked because i was so sick to my stomach. i've been really upset about this all day. does anyone have any similiar experience and/or advice to help.

i just need a really good hug

Your boss is what we like to call an "asshole".

If you can afford it, find a new job as quickly as possible.

If you can't afford it . . . keep track of every assholish thing he ever says. Keep a file of his threats -- especially anything physical such as this. When you've collected enough to make an impression (three should do it), take them all to your boss' boss and get his ass fired.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

today when my boss was yelling at me, not only did he threaten me with "if you ever blindside me again, i'll blindside you." ........ but he followed that up with "the next time you go parachuting, your parachute won't open and you'll hit the ground really hard and break your legs!"

at that moment i almost puked because i was so sick to my stomach. i've been really upset about this all day. does anyone have any similiar experience and/or advice to help.

Go talk to your big brother.
If you were my lil sister I'd break his friggen legs>:( Arsehole
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I can offer you that, but I think you need a new boss, or job. If your circumstances allow the option, go for it.

I don't think there is a real threat there, but certainly that's not a guy you would make any extra effort for.

In the right company I would go to the next level up, or HR. Sadly, in the wrong company that can instead burn bridges.

Your boss is clearly unprofessional (and not too bright either - no chute-only broken legs?:P) but I kinda gotta wonder, what did YOU do to bring this about? I've worked for some real assholes before and I'm no shrinking violet, but there has never been an exchange remotely close to that.

Perhaps you BOTH need to look at what's going on.

Just playing devil's advocate here. I'm a boss now and I've had some real beaut's working for me so I try to look at both sides.

I have to agree with the majority of these threads. In the sense that you should talk to HR or your boss' boss. Because regardless of what you did, if anything, to deserve this your boss is in a position of power over you and shouldn't be speaking to you (or anyone else under him) in this manner.

good luck. he sounds like a real winner...

Scott

Don't go to HR - face him directly. Don't be the victim - act with respect. Is blindsiding doing something against another persons expreeed instruction? Whatever it is if you have done, if you have done something out of order, say. "I've been thinking about the issue of blindsiding you. I agree that I should have . Either way then say "But, on the matter of you wishing I break my legs, I have to say I can't agree to working with you on that one". That's kind of keeping it light, which goes to you trying to fix the relationship with your boss. And it reminds him of what he said. Then if he is a fair person he'll feel stupid and aplogise. You have given him the chance to save face, as your boss. If he doesn't, then he is an arshole, but he probably won't say it again because you have gone back to him on it.

Bl#$@$^ stupid thing for him to say in a heated moment, though.

You have given him the chance to save face, as your boss. If he doesn't, then he is an arshole, but he probably won't say it again because you have gone back to him on it.

If it was me, I'd rather see his ass kicked to the curb then get a verbal apology from him. He had his chance in the time after the fact, he didn't do it, its time to burn him.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If it was me, I'd rather see his ass kicked to the curb then get a verbal apology from him. He had his chance in the time after the fact, he didn't do it, its time to burn him.

No it's not "time to burn him". Based on the exchange it appears that both sides have wronged one another. If that's the case, how do you know that what she did wasn't just as bad, but being left outta the story? There are definately 2 sides to this one. Both involve HUMANS who make mistakes. I agree with a civil, face to face discussion first. If that gets them no-where then fine, move to harsher actions, but to jump around and be so reactionary is BS.

Haven't you ever gotten screwed by someone and reacted badly? I know I have. I know I've said things to my wife who I love dearly that were downright mean out of anger. Point is we're people, and there's more to this story than meets the eye IMO.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Haven't you ever gotten screwed by someone and reacted badly? I know I have

Of course I have...hell, even Jesus got mad.:P

Point is we're people, and there's more to this story than meets the eye IMO.

Yeah, most likely.

For me, when I'm in a situation like that, I'm looking at the manager/boss as a person in a "leadership" position (although its managing, not leadership...but still), so I expect them to act and carry themselves better then their subordants. Thus the "heated exchange" would be out of place, unacceptable. People in those positions need to spend time reading and learning about leadership and management in addition to the real world experience they get.

Anyways, to bring this ramble to a close, yeah there's probably more to the story, yeah she probably fucked up, BUT as a person intrusted in a leadership/management position, he was out of line. He should have acted differently, should not have lost his temper, should not have said the things he did. That's my point is that people in power positions should be held to a higher standard. Are they? Not usually, funny thing is, though, successful companies tend to have that sort of attitude (higher standards).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Call human resources or his boss immediately and report him. Do not let them treat this like it is unimportant, meaning, let them leave it alone. If they start treating you bad, call a lawyer. A lawyer won't charge you he/she will get enough for both of you out of them. This is TOTALLY unexceptable.>:(

Unfortunately not all bosses get good boss training. Going to HR is an option, but I don't think a lawyer could help just at this moment. However, you've given him the power to upset you and make you sick to your stomach. You need to reclaim that back from him.

I hear what you are saying, but the question is are you just venting or do you want a possible solution? Bottom line is to call anyone on crap like that the moment it comes out of their mouth, but do it respectfully.

If you blindsided him, then apologize, but also mention that blindsiding you back is doing the same thing that has him so upset. You might also mention that if your chute doesn't open, simply breaking your legs would be lucky. What he is wishing upon you is death...is this supposed to motivate you to work better or not blindside him in the future? Challenging what someone says respectfully will either bring them back down to a civil level of discourse or send them completely over the edge. If you get fired because of that, then HR or a lawyer is quite a bit more appropriate.

Bottom line is, do you need this job more than the boss needs you doing the job? If so, you are at a disadvantage. I would start looking for other options.

No matter how good she looks, someone, somewhere is
sick of her shit!

Anytime somebody yells at me I either yell back or just smile and/or laugh at them. Most of the time the latter. Depends on who they are and what sort of future working relationship I want with them. Also what kind of peron they are and if I liked them in the first place. If I don't like them, I tend to yell back. I like almost everyone, so that doesn't happen very often.

If you meant to blindside him or did it accidentaly, I'd apologize and let him know privately you don't appreciate that sort of thing.

If you didn't mean to blindside him/her, a few of the following remarks might be in order if it comes up again:

- I'm trying to see things from your point of view. I really am. But I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.
- You think I meant to blindside you? What kind of pain killers are you on? It's gotta hurt being that stupid.
- Sir, I am thoroughly amazed at your lack of knowledge of your department's operations. If that blindsided you, perhaps you should start doing your FUCKING JOB and get a handle on your department. Pull your head out and get back to me when you have a clue.
- Laugh heartily. When he asks what's so fucking funny, respond: It's funny you've mistaken me for the sorry sonofabitch that will let you yell at them. Here's an idea for you - pull your head out of your ass, and you might not get blindsided! (make sure you're in his face when you say the last part and scream it loudly/forcefully) The laugh/forceful contrast takes most people aback.

With all of the above, if you didn't mean to blindside him and he actually was blindsided due to his own inaction or managerial ineptitude, he won't have the balls to take punitive action against you because if you protest it to HIS boss, he'll look like a fucking moron. Don't let him run over you this time or he'll keep doing it.

Vinny advice.

Beers to all,

Vinny the Anvil
:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

if that was said not in jest, then to me that is almost like saying to a woman "next time your out alone I hope you get raped"

I have recently had some issues with my employers with an accident "parachuting" - if you decide to stay with this employer, I would make sure of your rights,contract and insurance.

Also if you stay with them, as someone else said, report to Human Remains (sorry, HR) make a record of the comments - you never know when you might need them!