almeister112

AAD question + how long does a repack and AAD install take?

I'm getting my first rig in the mail on Thursday, and I was planning on going to my DZ on Saturday to get it looked over and have the reserve packed. I also need to get an AAD before I get it packed, which leads to 2 questions:

#1, how long does it usually take for a rig to get checked out, get an AAD installed, and have a reserve repacked? Should I expect to be able to jump on Saturday, or just plan on hanging out the whole day?

#2, and I'm sure I'm going to get all sorts of conflicting opinions on this, but which AAD should I go for?

I'm looking at both the Argus and Cypres 2, and from what I've seen on here the last few weeks of reading, they're both good and reliable, but the Cypres 2 has been around longer and is more widely-used and is therefore more trusted. I'd obviously love to save the 500 bucks with the Argus, but I also don't mind spending it if it's going to save my life. Opinions would be great. Thanks a lot.

I'm getting my first rig in the mail on Thursday, and I was planning on going to my DZ on Saturday to get it looked over and have the reserve packed. I also need to get an AAD before I get it packed, which leads to 2 questions:

#1, how long does it usually take for a rig to get checked out, get an AAD installed, and have a reserve repacked? Should I expect to be able to jump on Saturday, or just plan on hanging out the whole day?

Depends on the rigger and his workload... you might luck out and get it for a jump or two, but I wouldnt count on it.

#2, and I'm sure I'm going to get all sorts of conflicting opinions on this, but which AAD should I go for?

I'm looking at both the Argus and Cypres 2, and from what I've seen on here the last few weeks of reading, they're both good and reliable, but the Cypres 2 has been around longer and is more widely-used and is therefore more trusted. I'd obviously love to save the 500 bucks with the Argus, but I also don't mind spending it if it's going to save my life. Opinions would be great. Thanks a lot.

You save a bit more with Argus (you probably arent thinking about the 4 and 8 year services for the Cypres) and it lasts longer... But people love both... thats going to be a tough call

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks for the quick reply. Should I even expect to get it back the same day? Obviously that's all dependent on the rigger, I just have no clue what to expect. What should I expect to pay? Should I tip? And I'm gonna wait on more responses on the AAD, but again, thanks for the input.

How long it will take is going to vary from rigger to rigger. I have heard of same-day reserve packs but they are not common at my dz. Usually I plan on my rigger having my rig for a few days when I get my repack done just so I don't rush him.

My guess would be around $20 for a rig inspection, $70 for the repack and $25 for the AAD install, maybe less for the AAD since the repack is being done at the same time

If you are going to want a quick repack I would consider tipping if not I only tip my rigger if I have a cutaway and he/she repacked the reserve that saved me.

I do not jump an AAD myself but I would spend the extra and get a Cypress. Argus may be a good product but if I decided to jump an AAD it would be a Cypress.

Good luck
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Not to dissuade you from asking questions here at DZ.com but wouldn't it be better to be talking to the rigger in question?

At least give them a call and forewarn them that you are coming in on Saturday.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

When you call the rigger ask about both time and cost. There may be a charge for assembly too! I don't usually tip but if he has you jumping by noon, that certianly might warrant it. Of course, I do adhere to the post reserve ride "bonus" liquor rule!

I know that if I made prior arrangements, and there were no problems revealed during the inspection, our master rigger would almost certianly have me on a load before lunch.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I just got my FAA Senior rigger cert, but I have been a military rigger for 15 years. So times are based on putting together Javelin’s and MT2-XX’s.

2-4H for the assembly/inspection, installation of the AAD takes less than 5min and packing... will run 60 to 100 bucks.

When I do standard repacks I let the canopy air out for a day before it gets packed up, 30 bucks if there is nothing wrong with it.

As far as tipping goes, I never expect tips but if someone drops off a 6pack that is always nice.

Cypres 2 all the way, will never use anything else.
John - D.S 1313

"I'll jump it, Np. It's all good"

What you need to do is call the rigger and see if he's available on Sat morning. You may be able to arrnage to meet him at the DZ at 7am or 8am, by which point you could be in the air by 10am.

You may also find, that much like yourself, he was hoping to spend Sat jumping, and not going to be able to help you at all. In those cases, many riggers will do rigging Sat night and early Sun morning, so they still get to jump Sat/Sun. You may find yourself in the air on Sunday.

The rigger may also have a full book for Sat. A good portion of rigging work is, much like your assemble/pack, done on a 'schedule'. Almost everyone needs their stuff done by a certain time.

I wouldn't discount the value of bribery. An extra $50 might get the rigger to skip a few loads, or bump your rig up to the top of the pile.

Just buy the Cypres. Ever since they put the limited lifespan on them, the aftermarket value has been set in stone. Buy a new one, and it will cost you $175-ish per year for 12 years. Anytime you want to sell it during that time, you'll get our money back minus the $175/year for however many years you've owned it.

Have a look at the market for used Cypres, and you'll see that the supply is slim. People buy and keep their Cypres, and any that come up for sale are gone in a hurry.

IDK what to tell you about the time period to expect since I always leave my rig with a rigger for 1-2 weeks. However, I did borrow a rig from a friend for a few weeks once, and it had an Argus. It was a huge pain in the butt for me to turn on. Maybe it was just me, but that was enough to deter me from buying an Argus when I was AAD shopping.

Assemble and inspect, maybe. Still motivated. Did this include packing? If so that was awfully fast. To inspect each piece of material, seam, bartack, line trim, slider stop, etc on the reserve and each junction, piece of webbing, the free bag and pilot chute sewing, grommets etc. And that doesn't count the main.

Did he/she inspect the gear? Just because it's new doesn't mean it's without flaws. Unstiched junctions, unsewn seams, un bartacked lines and many more things have been found by the last quality control inspector. The rigger.

Then packing, closing, sealing paper work assembling the main.....

If this was new in box, unassembled to jumping I'd think some corners had to be cut.

But if your happy... What the hell.:S

To the OP,

If it's a full time rigger not planning on doing anything but rigging that day AND he doesn't have other work scheduled ahead of you AND his full shop is at the DZ then yes you could jump that day. Remember to include familiarization training on the new rig.

But I wouldn't expect it. Take you time, let the rigger take his time, and watch if you can. The rigger should have no objections. I know some you used to charge more if you wanted to watch just because it took longer to answer all of the questions.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

2-4 hours, but you're not necessarily the next rig to be worked on, and a Saturday is not necessarily the best day to get in line. (PS - as someone else said, bribes help here... ;-)

My part-time shop is usually booked a couple weeks out.

CYPRES2. <-note the "period" (personal opinion)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

However, I did borrow a rig from a friend for a few weeks once, and it had an Argus. It was a huge pain in the butt for me to turn on. Maybe it was just me, but that was enough to deter me from buying an Argus when I was AAD shopping.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: C'mon, it's not that hard to turn on :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Just push the logo"button" whenever the display flashes, how hard is THAT? OK if you're waiting for a little red light you'll be waiting a while... but if you're serious that's a dumb reason to not buy a Argus IMO B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

IDK what to tell you about the time period to expect since I always leave my rig with a rigger for 1-2 weeks. However, I did borrow a rig from a friend for a few weeks once, and it had an Argus. It was a huge pain in the butt for me to turn on. Maybe it was just me, but that was enough to deter me from buying an Argus when I was AAD shopping.

Different brand of AAD's have different switch-on procedure.
Did you read and understand the manual before use ? I suspect you didn't !

However, I did borrow a rig from a friend for a few weeks once, and it had an Argus. It was a huge pain in the butt for me to turn on. Maybe it was just me, but that was enough to deter me from buying an Argus when I was AAD shopping.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: C'mon, it's not that hard to turn on :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Just push the logo"button" whenever the display flashes, how hard is THAT? OK if you're waiting for a little red light you'll be waiting a while... but if you're serious that's a dumb reason to not buy a Argus IMO B|

I said maybe it was just me... I pressed the logo and the display wouldnt flash... I got it to turn on twice by myself during the time period that I borrowed it... Stupid reason not to buy one? I dont think so. To me, it was something that was frustrating, and if Im going to get frustrated with a piece of my gear, Im not going to want to use it.

Speed isn't always the goal, how about thoroughness.

Will

He did as I stated, a full assembly in ~2 hrs. On a previous occasion I personally watched him repack a demo rigs reserve that I was using and install an AAD with Skyhook, he was quite thorough and meticulous. I believe that took him about 45 min, while he was also explaining to me what he was doing.

On this most recent full assembly he did everything except pack my main, which I did myself. He has hundreds of reserve repacks and assemblies on every system out there. I guess he is just efficient by now and is still able to maintain a thorough quality assembly.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Assemble and inspect, maybe. Still motivated. Did this include packing? If so that was awfully fast. To inspect each piece of material, seam, bartack, line trim, slider stop, etc on the reserve and each junction, piece of webbing, the free bag and pilot chute sewing, grommets etc. And that doesn't count the main.

If this was new in box, unassembled to jumping I'd think some corners had to be cut.

But if your happy... What the hell.:S

See above reply.....

I don't think he is in the business of "cutting corners". I'm confident in his abilities and yes I'm happy.

I'm confident in his abilities

Based on what?

I'm not picking on you, just asking a fair and legitimate question.

How many riggers have you spoken to, or observed while they worked?

- You might be surprised to learn of the wide range of opinions, styles, and training among riggers.

How many different brands, or even types of rigs have you seen these riggers work with?

-You might be surprised to learn that some riggers are very well versed in the type of equipment that is popular in their part of the country, but only marginally familiar with other rigs.

How many riggers have you spoken to and observed outside of your geographic area?

-You might be surprised to find out that different 'circles' of riggers have different levels of services and SOPs in different parts of the country. A DPRE (Designated Parachute Rigger Examiner) in one part of the country may teach things one way, and so most riggers in his regoin will do things that way, while another DPRE has a different take on things.

I'm glad you're happy with your rigger. Just remember not to 'drink the kool aid' and figure that the first guy you use is the best, and everyone else is just playing catch up. There's alot that goes into being a rigger, from training, to further education, to their very philosphy on the job. Keep your eyes open, and ask questions about everything.

I'm confident in his abilities

Based on what?

I'm not picking on you, just asking a fair and legitimate question.

That's cool.

Base on his REPUTATION!!!

....and the fact that he has been doing it for a long time, hence his reputation.

I'd also consider him a friend outside of the dz, not that it has any influence over how he would treat me vs anyone else, but I can speak for his character.

Base on his REPUTATION

Among who, other local jumpers? Remember what I said about different 'circles' of riggers?

You might be surprised to see how jumpers pack at certain DZs, or what gear looks like in other countries. On both counts I think you'll find practices or equipment that is considered 'black death' at your home DZ.

It's a big world out there, with a lot of jumpers (and riggers), and for you to assume that you know enough that you're ready to make a final decision about any of it is extremely arrogant.

There's a chance your guy is the best rigger in the world, but only a chance.

It's a big world out there, with a lot of jumpers (and riggers), and for you to assume that you know enough that you're ready to make a final decision about any of it is extremely arrogant.

There's a chance your guy is the best rigger in the world, but only a chance.

WTF? I can't be sure but are you calling me arrogant? If so I can only assume your trying to get a rise out of me.

All I said was that the guy assembled my rig in ABOUT 2 hours. I didn't say he won rigger of the year award.:D:D Anyway next time I will be sure to interview a shit load of riggers and based on their resumes and background checks choose the best one.