DWher

Former President Bush air photos

Pictures from Mr. Bush tandems. First tandem was Mr. Bush and Bryan solo at skydive aggieland. Second was with the other jumpers at college station into the birthday celebration. Photos smaller due to dz.com size restrictions. Docking right is Tandem Sec team leader Ken Brown. Docking left is former 4 way competitor SFC Kurt Isenberger. Behind with smoke(for visual reference on ground) is GK Sergeant Major Mike Eitniear. Tandem Master is SSG Bryan Schnell. Videographers are Sgt Dave Wherley, SFC Greg Windmiller, SGt Aaron Clark.

No negative reflection on those jumping with him but why does it take one TM, two AFF and a guy with smoke, not to mention the camera guy (at least I understand why he is there) to make this jump? I know originally it was to be an AFF jump and winds/clouds got in the way. Did the AFF instructors get to go along as compensation?

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I know originally it was to be an AFF jump and winds/clouds got in the way.

The original plan, although the media wasn't really told about it, was for him to do a Tandem at Aggieland first then do the AFF into his library second.

Although when I mentioned that to a couple people here, they told me I was full of shit, that Fmr. Pres. Bush would never do a tandem.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Seems to me the BSR and FAR and SIM take precedence don't they?

I am not a fan of either president Bush but I have defended the tandem based on the conditions I have heard reported here. Damned Democrat whuffos!

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Seems to me the BSR and FAR and SIM take precedence don't they?

Which was cool, since there was no requirement for them to be. It is technically a military jump from a military aircraft with military and approved personel. Even if it was onto a civilian DZ and a civilian university campus.:)

Can you imagine the mess if he had tried to land himself, even with radio contact, maybe worse with radio contact, and he had hurt himself.

No thank you.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Can you imagine the mess if he had tried to land himself, even with radio contact, maybe worse with radio contact, and he had hurt himself.

No thank you.

Exactly!

This is the best publicity that I think the sport has EVER gotten, even more so then the last time he jumped. We (SD Aggieland) have already noticed a bump up in the number of calls and new students from it and we're expecting to see more. Just like every other DZ, I'm sure. People see it and say "hell, that's cool, he did it, I can do it, lets go do it now."

Well no shit, his first "skydive" was from a crippled aircraft during WWII. It hink that will take the fetal position out of anyone on a fun jump.

P.S. I don't even like the guy as a president.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

No negative reflection on those jumping with him but why does it take one TM, two AFF and a guy with smoke, not to mention the camera guy (at least I understand why he is there) to make this jump? I know originally it was to be an AFF jump and winds/clouds got in the way. Did the AFF instructors get to go along as compensation?

Any pictures/vid that I have seen of GKs tandem jumping with a VIP there have been at least 2 video, the TM and like 3 others on the jump. So I don't think it was that out of the ordinary.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

AggieDave writes

This is the best publicity that I think the sport has EVER gotten, even more so then the last time he jumped. We (SD Aggieland) have already noticed a bump up in the number of calls and new students from it and we're expecting to see more. Just like every other DZ, I'm sure. People see it and say "hell, that's cool, he did it, I can do it, lets go do it now."

I've always wanted to skydive as long as I can remember, but kept putting it off because it wasn't exactly a "necessity." The publicity around Bush's jump motivated me to stop putting it off, and jump at the opportunity -- when we drove past the sign that said something like "jump now, no reservations necessary" and my son said "you wanna see grandpa jump out of an airplane," and offered to pay for it. I guess I was jealous that GB might be having more fun that I was having. Now I can't stop thinking about doing it again.

Nice photos DWher, tho I wish they were bigger, and we could see GB's facial expressions better.