Steel

some's refusal to research often annoys me

ohhh Steel, you are so cool. You work out and are really strong. Ohhh I wish I could be like you..... :S:S:S

Ok so his machismo was oozing out of his original post, but some of what is bothering him is valid. And he has chilled out in subsequent posts. Theres no need to act like a nine year old. [:/]

Theres no need to act like a nine year old

Then I humbly apologize for my earlier chocolate chip cookie and peaches post ... and berry pie.

But when I eat my cookies, which is of course is in solid form, I eat it slow as it was intended. I stop at 10 because I don't want to strain my stomach.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I think you have still missed the point...[:/]

I will quickly say as for the guy with the 55lbs. If he was nursing and injury then fine and I will admit that I can't know for sure since I didn't ask him but it just seemed most likely that he thought he was going to get gains from that.

There are many reasons to lower weights and higher repitetions... A marathoner for example doesn't want to gain a great deal of muscle mass and might do 16-20 reps using lower weights.

also, some people use lower weight to warm-up/practice form, etc.

.;)

I was in the same section and saw him d a set with 55, then 65 and then 65 again. He as not extremely small. Now if you are talking about working out with lighter weight and higher reps, believe me I know all about that. But lighter weight does not mean working out with a pen in each hand. The bar alone weighs 45 pounds. Unless somebody has an unusual circumstance like an injury of some sort which I acknowledged as a possibility, it serves no purpose for a normal man to work with such light weight. Weight lifting is not like skydiving, if you ask people why they do it you will find that almost always they have a specific goal in mind. That goal may be to get stronger, look bigger, have more endurance, tone or whatever. If someone knew that they had no chance of getting any results from it, I doubt very much they would do it. There are different methods that could be used. Typically some people try to do sets with as much weight as they can properly handle (keep proper form with) for sets of of anywhere between 2 and 15 repetitions. A normal man should be able to do a set of 30 with 55lbs. easily. When I was 12 years old I used to do 135lbs for 30 reps.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

OK, so I'm at the DZ yesterday and I see someone doing a solo. Now, what the hell is he planning to accomplish there? Is he some kind of loser newbie? But OK, whatever. I look in another direction and see a bunch of 100 jump wonders trying to do a 6 way. With just a little research they would realize that low-experience 6 ways are no way to build 4-way skills.

But anyway, it's funny watching these people. So I go up to do a non-repeater 4-way, which is how I end our training day. I am thinking about the dive when someone on the load asks how much time he should leave between exits. Now, he's breaking the 3 cardinal rules of the climb to altitude:

1. Don't talk to the 4-way people who are visualizing; that's rude and stupid.
2. Don't talk to 4-way people just after visualizing; that's prep time.
3. Feel free to jump on the same plane as us but follow rules 1 and 2.

Anyway, the funny and stupid part came as he was exiting the plane. He didn't go down on set, didn't present his chest to the wind, couldn't even lead with the right foot. After we landed he said "do you ever have problems launching when you're front float." I just said "No." But I was holding back. What I wanted to say was "No, because I can handle front float, unlike you. If I wanted to, I could launch front float with my back to the wind, just like you did, and still end up on my belly with a good launch."

4-way was not invented ten years ago; it's been going on at least 40. Many have made careers of both doing and coaching it. The information is out there. So why do so many skydivers refuse to do a little research?

Excellent post, Bill. A very good technique to get people to realize there is a box and get people to think outside it.

Hopefully, you won't get responses like:

"Now I know why animals eat their young."

"For some reason he's making fun of ...[the original poster]. He used exact quotes. I don't know if that was to make us [body builders] feel stupid, sexist, separatist, or if it was just a joke, but I think it needs to be explained."

"I have edited this so as not to be provocative, but I also would rather that someone be more upfront with how he/she begins discussions. This is a little hurtful towards the [original] poster ..."

"[Bill], I'm not a greenie, but am a fan of [this forum] and post here quite a bit. You've made a few overt and inferred personal attacks here in this thread that cross the line dude. If I were a greenie I would delete several of them and lock this thread entirely."

"I am sure the way you went about trying to prove your point offended some of the [body builder] skydivers out there. I would love to hear some of them chime in and let you know how it made them feel reading this post."

"congrats troll; you have replies. you aren't even a skydiver but you're havin' fun, aren't you. when you reach your twenty-first birthday, i'll buy you a drink and you can tell me how fun it was to start a [body building] argument. i used to crank call the local seven-eleven and boy, it was fun, then. when your balls drop, all of us will take you to rantoul for some real fun. i'm drunk...peace."

"I think that the women were reacting with confusion and shock to the fact that it seemed that you were "poking fun" at the ...thread. I was a little surprised to see you "quoting" my original post, which was not written in my usual style, with 'skydiver' substituting 'body builder'. It seemed to show a lack of respect for that thread, and its intended [bodybuilder] bonding sentiments."

"OMG!!!! **shaking head** ..."

"this is the gayest thread ever"

"Lighten up, dude."

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Michael

There is also a difference between weightlifing and fitness.

I used to lift a little, but nothing large, just enough that I could feel a tiny burn at the end of a session. I was a runner, I could have given a shit less about muscles or sculpting shit, I just wanted to run faster and jump higher. Lifting just killed time while waiting to get back to running or hitting a climber.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have *no idea* what you are talking about. But I'll let it slide.. cause I really dont know what anyone in this forum is talking about lately. :S

I thought it was rather obvious. Everyone knows you stop at 10 or you go past the sugar buzz point and end up making yourself sick. The people who only eat 2 or 3 aren't getting any sort of rush off of it and it's silly to eat more than 10 because you'll only end up vomiting.

But you don't tell mom about it either way.

Are we still talking about chocolate chip cookies?
Or peaches? Or Berry Pie?
:$

clicky

The drug-fuelled burglars had ransacked the house, stealing antique furniture, jewellery, electrical equipment and dinner sets. They also grabbed a wooden box containing a powder they thought might be a drug.

So they began sniffing it, until one of them, Elizabeth Kniese, suspected that the box contained "the remains of someone". She was almost right. They were the ashes of the family's pet goat.

The obvious questions:
1. Who has their goat cremated?
2. And keeps the ashes in a box?
3. When you snort "goat", does it have a "kick"?
:ph34r:

Ok so his machismo was oozing out of his original post, but some of what is bothering him is valid. And he has chilled out in subsequent posts. Theres no need to act like a nine year old.

Ahh yes, I take it you missed his other posts about how strong he is and how much weight he can lift and how good his body looks etc etc etc.

He is just sooooo cool, I wish i could be like him.

Ok so his machismo was oozing out of his original post, but some of what is bothering him is valid. And he has chilled out in subsequent posts. Theres no need to act like a nine year old.

Ahh yes, I take it you missed his other posts about how strong he is and how much weight he can lift and how good his body looks etc etc etc.

He is just sooooo cool, I wish i could be like him.

Well you know the first step is admitting that you have a problem with your appearance. Unfortunately that is also the easiet step. Now is when the hard work begins. But ofcourse, I won't spell out your steps for you. You too need to do some research. :P Have fun
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.