Steel

some's refusal to research often annoys me

Ok so I am at the gym yesterday and I notice this guy (thats right not girl) is working out benching with 55 lbs. Now what the hell is he planning on accomplishing with that. Ok, whatever so I look in another direction and see a fat guy on the ab machine really getting into it. With a little simple research he would find that there is no way to target fat loss in specific areas. But anyway up to this point its funny looking at these people. Now I go to do my squat workout which is the last excersise I do on my leg day. I usually do it last so that I can get more from less weight and protect my back that way. Anyway, I am working with 225 doing sets of ten and this guy comes interupting a set wanting to work in, later he wants to talk during sets, now this breaks the 3 cardinal rules.
1. Don't talk to someone during a set that is just rude and stupid.
2. Don't talk just before a set, that is concentrating time.
3. Feel free to work in but follow rules 1 & 2.

Anyway the funny (stupid) part came after he did his set. He didn't bring the weight down properly, couldn't even do 6 reps and his form was totally off. So now after I do my next set which is ofcourse, in solid form, (bringing it down as the exerise is intended and stopping at ten because I don't want to strain my back not because I can't keep going), he says to me don't you feel you knees crackling there. I just simply said, "no". But that was holding myself back. What I wanted to say was, "no because I can handle that weight, I am not being an idiot. If I wanted too, I could throw another 150 pounds on the bar and like you I would not be able to bring it down correctly, finish even six reps with it, and yes my knees would be crackling too because I would be harming them just as you are harming yours."
Bodybuilding is not something that was invented 10-20 years ago. People have been doing it for more than a century. Many have made the careers on developing a science as to what works and what doesn't. The information needed for a proper workout is out there on many fronts and its free. So why is it that so many refuse to do a little research.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

The first time that I walked into the excercise room at the YMCA, where I have now been a member for quite a while, I see a long row of treadmills with some people on them that were doing the right kind of work out, by being on the treadmill. They were watching the TV's mounted on the wall. I looked up to see The Food Channel.

How do ya like it Johnny?

I'm with everyone else on this one. If you see a problem, especially when there's potential for someone to get hurt, give a couple pointers. No one is asking that you become their personal trainer, but a tip or two would take a moment of your time and potentially save someone from injury.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

sounds more like you missed an excellent opportunity to help out people who don't know as much as you.

Agreed - Why not give out some free advice?

Perhaps a simple statement like you might find better results with some lighter weight and more solid form could have been appropiate. But I did not get the feeling that free advice would have been welcome. I think it would more have been more likely to start an arguement.

I'm sorry, but get over yourself. At least he made it to the gym instead of sitting on the couch eating McD's. Some people don't obsess over working out. They do what they can to stay in shape. Do a little research, yeah, that'd be great, but in the time you spent making this post, you could have explained your 3 cardinal rules or helped him with the correct form. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

You sound kinda angry . . . been hittin' the juice? :S

Kelly

not funny

I get a kick out of it when women say that they don't work out with weights because they're afraid of getting too big :)

I find that funny as well.

I get a kick out of it when women say that they don't work out with weights because they're afraid of getting too big I only wish it were so easy!

I do work out with weights and discovered that a great trick with my new muscles is working each side of the chest at different times to make my boobies move independently of each other. Of course you may get slapped if you suggest that to a girl at the gym....

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You sound kinda angry . . . been hittin' the juice?

Kelly

not funny

I thought it was hillarious:$

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

***I do work out with weights and discovered that a great trick with my new muscles is working each side of the chest at different times to make my boobies move independently of each other. Of course you may get slapped if you suggest that to a girl at the gym....

Jen

lol,

OK, so I'm at the DZ yesterday and I see someone doing a solo. Now, what the hell is he planning to accomplish there? Is he some kind of loser newbie? But OK, whatever. I look in another direction and see a bunch of 100 jump wonders trying to do a 6 way. With just a little research they would realize that low-experience 6 ways are no way to build 4-way skills.

But anyway, it's funny watching these people. So I go up to do a non-repeater 4-way, which is how I end our training day. I am thinking about the dive when someone on the load asks how much time he should leave between exits. Now, he's breaking the 3 cardinal rules of the climb to altitude:

1. Don't talk to the 4-way people who are visualizing; that's rude and stupid.
2. Don't talk to 4-way people just after visualizing; that's prep time.
3. Feel free to jump on the same plane as us but follow rules 1 and 2.

Anyway, the funny and stupid part came as he was exiting the plane. He didn't go down on set, didn't present his chest to the wind, couldn't even lead with the right foot. After we landed he said "do you ever have problems launching when you're front float." I just said "No." But I was holding back. What I wanted to say was "No, because I can handle front float, unlike you. If I wanted to, I could launch front float with my back to the wind, just like you did, and still end up on my belly with a good launch."

4-way was not invented ten years ago; it's been going on at least 40. Many have made careers of both doing and coaching it. The information is out there. So why do so many skydivers refuse to do a little research?

I've found that (being on both sides, as a patron of gym, and a trainer to clients) that giving/taking advice to someone who works in with you (stranger/non-aquaintence) is tough. Most people think they know what they are doing when they train. Ego's play a large role in a gym. If gentlemen A for instance was to approach gentlement B, and say that they are doing an exercise improperly, g_A will either accept the advice and learn from it (it's its good advice) or in the back of his mind say (whatever, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about). People are stubborn in the gym. Everyone is an expert, or knows the best way to train.

When a trainer approaches a patron, if done in a positive manner, most patrons will gladly accept the advice/guidance. I've seen too many trainers get cocky and think they are a know it all, and pick people out and tear they're form up to belittle someone and lose focus on they're job which is to help and improve others.

Sorry for ranting, just an issue that I see time and time again....then again I may not have made any solid points...casue I'm at work.....

I've found that (being on both sides, as a patron of skydiving, and a coach to skydivers) that giving/taking advice to someone who jumps near you (stranger/non-aquaintence) is tough. Most people think they know what they are doing when they jump. Ego's play a large role in skydiving. If gentlemen A for instance was to approach gentlement B, and say that they are doing something improperly, g_A will either accept the advice and learn from it (it's its good advice) or in the back of his mind say (whatever, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about). People are stubborn in skydiving. Everyone is an expert, or knows the best way to train.

People are stubborn everywhere! Its easier to take the view that your right all the time. Then you don't have to think!

(hehe, bold is me, editing it just to be funny, and credit to bill cause his was way better)

p.s. not pickin on you or anything, just to make a point
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka