Opendore

Para Gear Catalog #74 question

Well, hopefully a real CRW Dog will happen by and really explain it or post some pictures, but most CRW rigs / set-ups use a retractable bridle & pilot chute set-up with a couple of additional rings on the top skin of the canopy. This is done so when they're building stacks and other CRW formations, their bridles and pilot chutes aren't steaming behind them with the risk then them getting entagled.

I haven't got the catalogus handy but I think what you're seeing are not Dbags but kill-cones. Usually CRW canopies are jumped without a Dbag, and with non-collapsible pilotchutes. The pilotchute then gets "reeled in" by the retractable bridle system, so in flight it sits on top of the canopy, towards the tail. Often people use a piece of fabric that will slide up against and a bit around the pilotchute preventing it from grabbing as much air so it's not bouncing around on the top of the canopy as much.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I just looked at the catalog in question.

I believe the canopies in the picture are the "Triathlon Competition CRW" model.

They have pilot chute retraction systems and TAIL POCKETS.

The bit of black that the OP sees at the trailing edge of these canopies is a little bit of the tail pocket.

To the OP, as dragon2 mentioned, serious CF canopies don't use deployment bags. But they do have a special pocket on the tail to hold the lines.