Duke6901

GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!

Linny writes

OK... i just HAVE to comment ...Be careful guys. once you let a woman know you're attracted to her you've already lost. the only exception to this rule is if she already finds you attractive. IMO, it's better to go low pro.... make her wonder why you're not drooling on her.

I think you said the exact same thing I did, but just in a different way.

i could talk about this all day

Heehee.

ACMESkydiver writes

Not a good idea to make generalized 'appearance' comments about any group of women, sport...either you say we're hot, some think they are, then you're pissing them off because you're annoying because they already know that and are sick of being judged on their looks, or the ones that don't think we're hot are pissed off because you're only judging on looks...or you call us all ugly and you'll never win that way...just ask Tuna...I highly doubt he's ever gotten anything from a skydiver chick with that line he used above other than some interesting words.

Don't ever judge a group of women solely on appearance when in the presence of ladies. Ever. Just a hint

I think the consensus of opinion by the experts is that making an unsolicited comment about how attractive someone's appearance is (regardless of their sex), to the person in question, causes a reaction that ranges from

oh what a sweet thing to say, who knows you may be attractive too, to someone with different taste than me

to

yech get away from me.

However there appears to be no harm in making such a comment to someone else, elsewhere, who is not expected to communicate with the person in question (which is what Duke6901 appears to have done, in starting this thread). Am I wrong?

Actually, I am quite sure that attractiveness is a result not only of a person's appearance, but of their thoughts and communications, not to mention their actions.

by the way, I can't really think of any situation that applies to remarking about a woman's appearance, that doesn't also apply to remarking about a man's appearance. We really aren't as different as many people seem to think we are. However a small difference can make a big difference in social dynamics -- for the same reason a small difference in weight can make a big difference in what position one will end up at, on a see-saw. Weigh just a pound or so less than someone else, and you will be 10 feet in the air and they will be shmushed into the ground. There is an analogy to made from this, in regard to how much attraction 2 people have for each other. Unless it is exactly the same, one falls into a relatively static role of being the hound and the other falls into the relatively static role of being the hounded.

Am I wrong?

This took me about 60 years to figure out. Too bad I'm 56.

...However there appears to be no harm in making such a comment to someone else, elsewhere, who is not expected to communicate with the person in question (which is what Duke6901 appears to have done, in starting this thread). Am I wrong?

If he had said "The girls of XYZ DZ are hot" and none of the girls from XYZ DZ are on DZ.com, then your point would be correct. However, he was generalizing skydiving chicks, of which I am one, and I am reading the thread...and I could take those comments any which way, as I mentioned...

Actually, I am quite sure that attractiveness is a result not only of a person's appearance, but of their thoughts and communications, not to mention their actions.

Sure, ultimately... but an immediate opinion after not having spoken to a person is more weighted towards their appearance, if that is all you know about them.

by the way, I can't really think of any situation that applies to remarking about a woman's appearance, that doesn't also apply to remarking about a man's appearance. We really aren't as different as many people seem to think we are. However a small difference can make a big difference in social dynamics -- for the same reason a small difference in weight can make a big difference in what position one will end up at, on a see-saw. Weigh just a pound or so less than someone else, and you will be 10 feet in the air and they will be shmushed into the ground. There is an analogy to made from this, in regard to how much attraction 2 people have for each other. Unless it is exactly the same, one falls into a relatively static role of being the hound and the other falls into the relatively static role of being the hounded.

Am I wrong?

This took me about 60 years to figure out. Too bad I'm 56.

See my sig line. :| I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm not arguing your point on this...I just honestly don't get it. :S:P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! Reminds me of the Motley Crue Tour back in the 1980s something. I actually saw Guns & Roses open at that concert and there was more girls whipping off their panties/bras for the opener than for Motley Crue. Three months later, "Welcome to The Jungle" hit the radio stations.

Sure, ultimately... but an immediate opinion after not having spoken to a person is more weighted towards their appearance, if that is all you know about them.

Yeah it's all in the appearance. I mean, skydiving chicks are typically sweaty from packing, dirty from bad landings, have ratted up hair from helmets, don't wear a lot of makeup, dress down for comfort, and are usually pretty beat up(bruises, scratches, bumps) from bad openings, bad landings, climbing rocks last week or whatever. Oh, and they fart in the plane on the ride up.

How can any man resist all of that?

it's hard but it can be done.......... well alli have to do is remebr all but one of the gals at my dz is old enough to be my monther.........lol.....

Yeah it's all in the appearance. I mean, skydiving chicks are typically sweaty from packing, dirty from bad landings, have ratted up hair from helmets, don't wear a lot of makeup, dress down for comfort, and are usually pretty beat up(bruises, scratches, bumps) from bad openings, bad landings, climbing rocks last week or whatever. Oh, and they fart in the plane on the ride up.

>:( I don't fart in the plane, and I hate it when people do!!! >:(

Yeah I guess if they're on a DZ, you automatically know more about the person than just their appearance anyhoo...:P
~Jaye

ACMESkydiver

Actually, my immediate opinion of women skydivers was a result of the appearance -- of amazing gigantic smile on all their faces. And this is not about body shape of facial "prettyness." It is about, as I said before -- what they communicate, what that smile communicates.

Yea -- it communicates they are happy -- presumably because they are doing something, skydiving, that makes them happy. It someone smiles at me, and I smile at her -- we each communicate that we are happy, and happy that the other is happy. Except for things that are generally done in private -- I don't think there is much that is any "hotter" than that.

ACMESkydiver

...he was generalizing skydiving chicks, of which I am one, and I am reading the thread...and I could take those comments any which way...

Not quite sure what you mean by that. Yes he was genaralizing. I didn't construe what he said to mean that all women skydivers are hot, just, in general, women skydivers are hot. I think that leaves room for interpreting his comment as allowing for some women skydivers to not be hot. Even a majority could not be hot -- and still you could say "is it just me, or are women skydivers totaly HOT? I mean like SMOKE'IN!!!" without sounding like you are saying something that is a misrepresentation of the facts. It isn't like he is talking about a subject where a great deal of precision is extremely important and expected.

i should take my 300 jumps and shove them up my ass???

No, pound....pound I said. Not shove.

:ph34r: That is the funniest thing I ever read on this forum. But then again, my sense of humor is fucked-up.

-----------------------------------------------
Bum's the word!

Wow!
im shocked. when i made the original post i never expected to get so much feedback. Cool

Just so any lurkers out there reading this thread know, there's nuthin' wrong with Duke's post or all the feedback...;)

We're just each giving the guy our 'take' on his comments. That's all! And of course we all differ...go figure. :)
-And guys I don't mean to sound like I'm saying there aren't a great deal of sky-jumpin' hotties...I know some of 'em! :P Just saying that those of us with less than Barbie doll looks tend to shy away from participating in things that we feel might end up in a beauty contest....ya know? I cringe when the vidieo dudes catch me in part of their frame...B|:S "WHat the hell are you thinkin', dude??? You'll scare away the customers with that shit! Nobody will buy your vid now!!" :ph34r::P;)

(but on the other hand, NOBODY better make a damn comment about my looks either! >:( I'm a woman, I'm allowed to be hard to figure out...God said so. :P:ph34r:)
~Jaye

ACMESkydiver writes

those of us with less than Barbie doll looks tend to shy away from participating in things that we feel might end up in a beauty contest

I personally find beauty contests to be an awfully bad idea. There are lots and lots of hot women. Once a womn reaches the right temperature -- she is hot -- I don't have any interest in comparing degrees of hotness. It would give me a headache.

I ain't exactly the most well-formed male I have ever seen. But I think I look more attractive if I am grinning ear to ear. Nothing makes me grin ear to ear more than thinking about jumping out of an airplane.

I cringe when the vidieo dudes catch me in part of their frame.

I think if you have a big grin on your face in a photo, the photo will attract customers, not matter what the basic shape of your face and body is. If you are seen cringing in a photo, it may scare them away. In my opinion, it is generally best not to hide; it is best not to try to prevent people from seeing you, no matter what you look like. The only time you should be hiding is if people who want to harm you are hunting for you, or you are trying to go somewhere where you are not wanted, without being noticed, and kicked out.

There were women I saw at my local dropzone who were not paticularly well-formed, but were hot anyway. It was that crazy skydiver's smile they had that got to me.

I don't know if I want to go so far as to say that no matter what you look like, if you grin like a skydiver you will be hot. But I do think it may go further toward making one hot, than people are usually inclined to think. I also think that less than perfect shape may go less toward making one "not so hot" than people are usually inclined to think. In any case, one should, in my opinion, never worry about it, and never "cringe" or try to hide out. That is, I think, about the worst thing you can do, for how you look, and how hot you are perceived as.

I wanted to add that when person B says person A is hot, they are not really saying something about person A. They are saying something about themselves, about person B, even though they are using a grammatical form that, on the surface, appears to be saying something about person A.

That is obvious, but because of the grammatical form, I think people sometimes forget it.

Since person B is saying something about themselves, it would seem pointless, to me, if I were person A, to react as if they were saying something about me. If person A says "soilman is hot" that really means person A, for her own reasons, finds soilman to be hot. It doesn't mean I am hot.