PhantomNinja

Skydiving safe landing speed?

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I'm doing an essay relating to the physics of a skydiving jump, and in order to this, I need to know around what speed would be a safe landing speed, and if anybody has any idea, what might be a maximum speed for landing.

Thanks

Try this:

www.iit.edu/~abet/physics.zip

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How fast can you run, and how high can you jump from without injuring your legs?

Modern ram air parachutes are designed to arrest vertical descent completely and bleed off energy in a horizontal glide across the ground till that velocity is negligible (fast walking speed).
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I'm doing an essay relating to the physics of a skydiving jump, and in order to this, I need to know around what speed would be a safe landing speed, and if anybody has any idea, what might be a maximum speed for landing. For sake of completeness, have separate sections that cover round parachutes and square parachutes.

Thanks

If you cover historical information (round parachutes), answers for those are completely different and come from different sources. For sake of completeness, include information for both round and square parachutes. Separate sections for these two, perhaps.

Only modern ram-air (square) canopies can fully zero velocity when landing. Whenever there's slight-to-moderate winds and you are landing gliding against the wind, it's a pillow-soft landing when controlled properly. Zero horizontal and zero vertical, just an inch above the ground, then plop, softer than the stress of jogging. When done properly.

An okay typical landing, less perfect one, would be more similiar to running, with the additional stress of running off a 1-foot curb/drop-off.

My landings are not safe, regardless of their speed.

Does this anwser your question? :ph34r:

Good point: Another exercise for the non-skydiver student who's writing the essay: Wingloadings.

Some of us love the smaller 'fabric wing' of a parachute, that can do a fast horizontal swoop or swoop-like landing before slowing down. Some skydivers delibrately choose more exciting parachutes that are smaller and land faster. To the nonskydiver, this is more perceptually similiar to an airplane landing, using techniques called "swooping". Some high performance parachute users will glide at MORE than 60mph horizontally (zero vertical velocity), just a foot above the ground, for the landing excitement. Intentionally. Before slowing down to safe horizontal speeds less than your maximum running speed.

Others, stick to bigger parachutes for maximum landing safety. Consider landings even in an unconscious no-control situation (emergency parachutes should be big because of this), versus landing while controlling the parachute. Being conscious allows you flare the parachute, which slows down the vertical descent by converting vertical velocity into horizontal velocity and then air resistance/gravity essentially finishes the rest.

Depending on scope of essay (a sentence? a page? several pages?), break into a few:

- Typical round parachute landings.
(old perspective: low H, lots V)

- Typical large square parachute landings.
(modern perspective: low H, low V)

- Small parachute controlled high-speed landings, called swooping.
(stunt perspective: Lots H, low V)

- Unconscious square parachute landings.
(emergency perspective: Lots H, lots V. Survivable under large square parachutes, lethal under small parachutes)

So many variables. Of course, this may be advanced subject matter and beyond the scope of the essay ;)

If it's just a sentence or two that's needed a boilerplate "Modern parachutes have the ability to land at a total standstill: Zero horizontal and zero vertical velocity, through skilled landing techniques. In reality, a typical landing can be similiar to jumping off a chair."
(reword into your wording, don't plagarize mine)

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I'm doing an essay relating to the physics of a skydiving jump, and in order to this, I need to know around what speed would be a safe landing speed, and if anybody has any idea, what might be a maximum speed for landing.

Thanks

Horizontal or vertical?
Swoopers can tell us what the current horizontal speed record is.
Survivors may be able to tell us what the current vertical speed record is.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The safest landings I've ever done are when no-one else is in the air , gliding down in no hurry to get to the ground , gently turning into the wind at a couple hundred feet , letting the canopy fly like its designed at full drive , flaring perfectly and having ZERO airspeed when my feet eventually touch the ground.

Every other landing has been dangerous;)

Ultimately we all lad at 0

You mean, that is what we're hoping will happen haha. Truth is, it doesn't always happen that way. lol :ph34r: They say that is the way you're supposed to land, but most skydivers I've ever seen covered 30 feet of ground while flying 6 inches over it and then landed with still enough forward momentum to end up running it out at least two more steps. :P Funny thing is it's usually the newer jumpers that land at closer to 0mph and the experienced ones that land with about 10mph left in their momentum. lol
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan