StinkyPete

USPA Dropzone??

Hey everyone, This is my first post on here and I am hoping everyone can help, i think i am being ripped off.

I live in Alaska and there is only one DZ in this state so i am kinda forced to jump with them, I just stop jumping with the military (Static line) so i thought it would be a good idea to step it up a notch ;-) Anyways, they are charging me roughly 3000 dollars for all of my training and jumps up to 25 to get my A License. Which is cool i think, i am doing a Tandem progression and I am loving it, i am about to move into AFF next week, starting at Level 4. Thats all good and cool but my friend who is a very expierenced jumper has done some research and said that they are not USPA certified. He told me i may be getting ripped off and the "A license" they give me may be an A license, but there wont be any number or anything on it to make it a true license. Could this really be hapening??? I really want to get my license but if in fact they are not USPA will i still be able to get it? I just dont want to waste my time with these people, as much as i enjoy it, i would rather save up my money so when me and my wife PCS (get stationed somewhere else) we can both get licensed and have money for gear (she is in the military and jumps static line also and loves the idea of skydiving since she is a parachute rigger)

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this!
Pete

Checking the dropzone data base here it shows Alaska Sky Sports as the only listed in Alaska. According to their information they do require USPA membership. A simple way of finding out is to just ask. If the instructors have their USPA ratings I don't think it matters if the dropzone is a group member or not.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Airborne,

What the other poster's have said is true.
What matters is that your Instructor's are USPA rated in their training discipline.
The USPA Group Member DZ program has nothing to do with your getting your rating - it gives the DZ some added value, but some choose not to participate.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It may not a problem.

The decision to avoid membership in the USPA Group Program is probably a financial one. In order to be a group member drop zone they would need to pay a small fee and sign a pledge to abide by USPA policies. From their web page it sounds like they are following the old USPA AFF program, but they do not list any instructors or instructional qualifications. My hunch is that they are following USPA guidelines, but you should definitely ask. Also ask about their instructors qualifications, and feel free to request proof of any ratings they claim to have.

While it shouldn't be a problem to jump at a non-USPA drop zone, you should not receive any training from an unrated instructor. There is just no excuse for teaching without a rating, even at an isolated DZ in Alaska. Each instructor or coach you work with should be rated by USPA. If you have any questions about what a rating holder can do, ask them to show you where in the Skydiver Information Manual (SIM) and the Instructor Rating Manual the qualifications and supervision requirements are listed.

As long as your instructors are USPA rated and they follow the USPA program your "A" license will be granted. There are two options available for you to officially secure the license. First, you can have the USPA instructor sign your proficiency card and apply a USPA stamp to the card. That's a legal license within the USPA system. Or, you can take it a step further and mail or fax a copy of the signed license to USPA with a $20.00 fee to have it officially registered at USPA.

If you have further questions, check the SIM. You should be reading the material in the SIM as part of your training anyway, so hopefully it is available to you at the DZ. If not, it is on-line as a free download from USPA at: http://www.uspa.org/publications/manuals.htm.

And, if you are still worried about the quality of instruction you can call USPA directly and ask to speak with Jim Crouch, the Director of Safety and Training. The phone number for USPA is 540-604-9740. Skydiving is a pretty small community and the folks at USPA are always happy to talk with students and members.

It's good to know that some students do look for the USPA 'seal of approval,' and are interested in knowing their instructors are following a national standard.

Blue skies,
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

they are not USPA certified.

The USPA does NOT certify Dropzones. They do have Group Membership program that most DZ`s choose to join.

This means they pay a small fee (I have heard $400 per year but am not certain of that figure) and sign a "Pledge" that they will follow certain guidelines or rules (From what I have seen over the years, This pledge is not enforced. Especially the code of conduct).

Basically, The USPA Group Member Logo means they wrote a check and nothing more.

As long as your instructors hold the appropriate USPA Ratings and follows the USPA SIM, You can earn your USPA A License.

The USPA Group Member DZ program has nothing to do with your getting your rating - it gives the DZ some added value,

Such as?
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."