GogglesnTeeth

I gotta vent........ and might need "Vibes"

Ok,
As some of you know, I am a member of the "Unemployed Skydivers Club." Well, here is my problem. Unemployment is going to run out soon, and it looks like I might get a job in Omaha Nebraska working at a TV station there, doing what I did here in Seattle till I got my ass fired! Omaha is a smaller TV market, so a bit less cash, but some cash is better than none. There is a drop zone in the area, but it's Nebraska and I seriously doubt they would be open all year round.... can we say currency issues??? All of my family, and I mean all of them live in the Omaha area. Sure, it would be good to see them occasionally, but I know they won't understand why I need to be at the drop zone every weekend. "But you were skydiving last weekend..." I can hear it now! I would truely miss my "home" drop zone here and my "family" there. I love the Seattle area, the water, the mountains, and I've never been one to complain about the rain, but I have no job here or money coming in, so either way, I gotta get something soon and it looks like Omaha may be it. [:/]
You can see huge mixed feelings about this. The job itself would be a bit of a step up from where I was. More of a supervisory roll as well as directing. The $$$ will be less, but about equal for the cost of living (as calculated by a cost of living calculator online.) Again, some cash coming in will be better than "will work for food" or "do you want fries with that?"
Anyway, I guess I gotta suck it up and see what happens. Thanks for listening or ignoring, or whatever.....

Now I wait for the phone call of when they are flying me in, they said this morning they will call me back soon. [:/]
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

My advice is take the job and jump if possible. IF the DZ is closed during the winter save the money you would have spent jumping and jump twice as much come spring. Taking the winter off of jumping does suck but it won't kill you. I don't jump all winter because of the lack of cash and the cold ass weather. Don't worry, it will be spring before you know it.;)

actually there are two dropzones in nebraska, one in weeping water (www.skdyivelspc.com) and the other just on the other side of lincoln (www.skydivecrete.com) both are open year round.

currency won't be an issue at all... if that helps with your decision at all.

Take the job. FYI - People do jump over the winter. :D It's not as pleasant temperature wise as summer jumping, but it's jumping. That's, also, why you look into frequent flyer miles and pick a destination (i.e. Florida, California, Arizona, etc.) and go for weekend trips to go jumping. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

jillr wrote:

actually there are two dropzones in nebraska, one in weeping water (www.skdyivelspc.com) and the other just on the other side of lincoln (www.skydivecrete.com) both are open year round.

currency won't be an issue at all... if that helps with your decision at all.

There ya go, Corey. but I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone here and say :o NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! DON'T GO, COREY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :([:/] Boo-hoo. :(

Ah wells, if that's all ya got right now, I guess that's all ya got...[:/] But don't quit looking!!! And Joe and I can come out to visit ya now and then, as we will have reason to...;)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Corey,

"Hog's breath is better than no breath at all."

If you aren't anchored down with a spousal unit and a mortgage, you should go. Keep an eye out for other gigs in this area, and return when you can. People in TV / Radio move a lot, because that's what it takes.

"I give you leave...so leave!" :D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Corey,

As much as I would hate to see you leave the Seattle area, ya gotta take the job! If it comes through that is. Going to Omaha might not be the ideal situation but look at it like this, if your family is there you can possibly replentish the bank funds that have dwindled a bit with a minimal amount of output for living expenses by using the family. Not ideal but you need to get back up and running again.

Skydiving might be a lower priority for a short time but once your back up on your feet and have the cash again, get your own place and take a trip about every month in the winter to a nice warm jumpy spot. You gotta admit you have had a good run regarding the unemployment thing, again not the funest of times but still you were not doing too bad...

One bad thing is that ACME might get to 2 hours before you if this happens!

Honestly, ya gotta take the job if it comes through. "A bird in the hand is better then two in the bush........" Being broke and living in the back of a big red truck hoping that it is not repoed would really suck compared to living in Omaha, even if that plan did let you stay in Seattle ;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Very true Scott.......
It would suck to be sleeping in the back of my truck with my cat and computer when the tow truck shows up!
I don't have the job yet, but when the newsdirector called today and asked what my schedule looks like for the next few weeks for flying out for an interview...... unless I crap on his desk while I'm in town, I probably have the job.
I do need to get a job, and get back on my feet so to speak, just not and ideal situation. "gotta do vs. wanna do" type of thing.
If I do end up leaving, we'll need to have a few wild weekends at Blue Skies before I hit the hwy.

Oh, and ACME, the bet is still on even if I move! You aren't gonna get out of oweing me beer that easy!!!! Hop n Pops don't add up to a lot of freefall unless you do a ton of them!!!! ;)

At least nobody will give me any more crap about the Cornhuskers!!!

I'll keep you all posted..................
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Good luck with the interview! I will be a part of the "Unemployed Skydivers team" - Seattle division, in about 4 working days. Contract work sucks when your contract runs out :(