pchapman

Photos - inside a Cypres 1

Maybe I don't understand this completely but how does your jump numbers translate to technical knowledge of a rig? I don't see a definitive correlation between the two. Additionally a sample size of one would never be considered to provide valid results for an overall class or group. It also wouldn't be considered statistically significant when doing data analysis.

Again, maybe I don't understand completely. I just know from personal experience with data collection, analysis, and research that I have done, if I tried to make a claim like with supporting evidence like this, I would be laughed at and everything thrown out.

I would also look at the experience of who I am talking to. Just saying is all.

to mjosparky: a manufacturer would never say there rigs have weak points . untill you see or ride a reserve from a wings you wont understand ..... i have an older wings around the 2000 model ..... and never has it launched past 4 foot

do you think there has beenany change in the spring along the way?

I ask as I pack a lot of Wings due to being a dealer and when they get fired off in the loft for repacks they got to about the end of the bridle every time give or take a foot.

Mind you I have only used one in anger 3 times :P
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I'm sure there has been changes made ..... but as many riggers from my area and as an old DZM The wings where referred to as the dump your shoulder before deploying reserve rig .... I base my opinion on the older models i seen and watched popped and after all this is just my opinion
EarthBoundMisfit

to mjosparky: a manufacturer would never say there rigs have weak points . untill you see or ride a reserve from a wings you wont understand ..... i have an older wings around the 2000 model ..... and never has it launched past 4 foot

I ask as I pack a lot of Wings due to being a dealer and when they get fired off in the loft for repacks they got to about the end of the bridle every time give or take a foot.

But this does not speak to the question of the closing loop tail after an AAD cut.

Erdnarob said his tests were not encouraging.

Depending on how much attention is paid to getting the freebag grommet right over the closing loop anchor point, there could be some serious serpentine shit going on just above the point of cut.

That's surely not going to improve the launch after an AAD activation, but will have no effect at all when you pull the pin.

But this does not speak to the question of the closing loop tail after an AAD cut.

Erdnarob said his tests were not encouraging.

Depending on how much attention is paid to getting the freebag grommet right over the closing loop anchor point, there could be some serious serpentine shit going on just above the point of cut.

That's surely not going to improve the launch after an AAD activation, but will have no effect at all when you pull the pin.

I am no engineer so I may not be understanding the numbers here but try this for size and see what you think

Semi Exposed PC (Wings/Javelin/Dolphin etc....)

The PC pushes two flaps out the way causing the tail to be dragged up through the PC and snake out through the top two flaps. This is the point of friction that is of concern with a tail that is too long. There should basically be none or minimal concern below the PC due to the fact that the flaps are not being pushed apart until the PC has reached the end of the bridle and starts to deploy the free-bag

Enclosed PC (Vector/Mirage/Talon etc....)

The PC pushes four flaps out of the way causing the tail to be dragged up through the PC and snake out through four flaps. This is the point of friction that is of concern with the tail that is too long and is TWICE that as in the situation of the Semi Exposed PC.

Therefore the effect of friction is much greater in the second scenario and should be much less of an issue in the first.

What do you think?

Of course a good rigger is the first answer as poor ol' Bill and his kind can't fix bad rigging ;)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I didn't include the photo of the data panel on the sensor originally, so here it is.
I'm resurrecting this because there have been questions about the sensor used by Airtec. It is the XCX 15AN, at least at that time.

Edit:
The Honeywell product page is at http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.cfm?ci_id=140301&la_id=1&pr_id=151532, from which one can access info on many of their pressure sensors.

Data Instruments is now part of Honeywell.