Kimblair13

"EROS" system (kinda like a skyhook).

Anyone heard of it? Airborne Systems uses it I think...just curious what people think about it or what you know.

Yep, saw it about a year and a half ago while it was being developed/tested. My personal opinion is that it is a much better mouse trap in so much that if your rigger doesn't hook it up by mistake it doesn't cause issues or potentialy create other problems. Likewise, it is not as complicated to assemble or I should say mis-assemble and has a much smaller footprint that as far as I know doesn't require a container be built specifically to house it. Fundamentally, it does the same thing as the SH and probably takes a whole 10 seconds to assemble during rigging but it's genius is in it's simplicity. I cannot comment on how it actually performs as I have not seen it function in the air. Like most things in skydiving, I don't think it is a brand new idea, I believe this device or a variation of it has been around for some time now but just hasn't been seen by the general public.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi Kim,

It is my 'understanding' that they have been working with Eric Fradet on one of his designs for quite some time now.

I have one of his earlier designs here at my shop and I have seen a later design also ( cannot say who has it as I was told to keep it under my hat ).

Also, your post is always good fodder for the rumor mill.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Also, the Para-Flie EOS rig was always being called a EROS by mistake. :P

Eros
1 Greek Mythology the god of love, son of Aphrodite. Roman equivalent Cupid .
• sexual love or desire.
• (in Freudian theory) the life instinct.
2 Astronomy asteroid 433, discovered in 1898, which comes at times nearer to the earth than any celestial body except the moon.
ORIGIN Latin, from Greek, literally ‘sexual love.’

Maybe it is not by mistake if you listen to Freud ;)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Scott and Jerry,

Dammit, now you really have my attention.

Any more "proprietary" info you can leak to keep us riggers salivating?

Something along the lines of Mark Hewitt's Sorcerer?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

they have been working with Eric Fradet on one of his designs

Hmm, Mr Fradet seems to have the field covered.

Booth's 2004 "Skyhook" patent application, 20040155153, is 10 pages long and basically shows a Skyhook with some slight variants.

Fradet's 37 page long patent application in 2009 for his "Interlock" system, 20090127395, shows more than half a dozen significantly different variants of pins & grommets & loops to accomplish the task. So he not only keeps hidden (for now) what his preferred solution is, but also tries to keep a bunch of alternatives out of others' hands. He seems to know how to both design gear, and use the patent system.

No other US patent applications related to MARDs showed up in a quick search.

I don't have any proprietary specific info to share nor would I disclose it if I did. But I will say that jerry and you have explained my earlier statement as to it not being a new idea per say. With that said, I have no idea where the device is at this moment or if it's even still something being looked at or pursued.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I don't have any proprietary specific info to share nor would I disclose it if I did. But I will say that jerry and you have explained my earlier statement as to it not being a new idea per say. With that said, I have no idea where the device is at this moment or if it's even still something being looked at or pursued.

Nor would I expect you to discuss any "proprietary" info.

Just being a tease.

What was that a friend of mine said a few years back?

:D"I can neither confirm nor deny any knowledge or involvement of the alleged incident.":D

Now to look up Erics patent.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

This system is the improved model of the LES system developped by Eric from the Sorcerer idea and used with Advance rigs in 99. The original has been shown at the PIA San Diego 99. Eric has made a lot of improvements on it since then. The original patent application date from earlier 80's.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468