boz2841

packing classes

Call Mike Truffer at "Skydiving Magazine" (386) 736-4793. He sells a DVD called "Packing Made Simple".
It's very inexpensive (I think $20.00 or so)

It's pretty well done and you can watch it as often as you want, anytime of the day or night. You can pause and rewind whenever you need to. We use it at our DZ and then give one on one advice. It really speeds up the learning process.

Skydiving Magazine is located on the Deland airport.

Sandy
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

classes? thats sounds like something you have to pay for. Come to my place here in WI, I'll teach you for free.

Any time, any day. no problem.

My DZ has a free class once a month, Thursday evening. I took it twice as I was a little slow I guess and got too much advice from various people walking by after my AFF.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Learning to pack should be part of your student progression, you should'nt have to pay extra for it.

I agree.. Thats how it should be..

This has been discussed before and I will say it again. In reality most new A licence jumpers in US dont know how to pack..

The only reason for that is no one ever taught them.

In reality most new A licence jumpers in US dont know how to pack..

Impressive! You know most new A license jumpers in the US? ;) Not disputing you, as I certainly haven't met most.

I jumped my first un-assisted pack job on my 17th jump, also my first hop and pop from 3500. That was a big confidence builder.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

It's not just the US where they're not taught.

I was lucky to learn at an awesome dropzone though, where people are happy to stay behind at the end of the day to help out newbies.

Their beer was well deserved.

(I jumped my own pack job on my 4th:)

rI agree.. Thats how it should be..

This has been discussed before and I will say it again. In reality most new A licence jumpers in US dont know how to pack..

The only reason for that is no one ever taught them.

*** I don't know about "most" new A license holders, but I definately see many that don't. Doesn't happen at my DZ though.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

How to learn how to pack

1 Find an up jumper who knows how to pack and is just hanging around the DZ that day.

2 offer him/her beer to teach you how to pack.

3 go rent a rig and do a jump

4 get up jumper to show you the steps of packing up to bagging in a quiet area.

5 now you do what he/she said. This will probably require you going back to get him/her to show you some steps over again.

6 Get the up jumper to show you how to bag and close.

7 Go to the main packing area or where ever people are packing and pack it again getting input from other jumpers(now you can start adding discarding "styles").

8 repeat step 7 until your comfortable haha with your pack job.

9 go jump your pack job, and "yes your going to jump it like that".

10 land and go buy beer

I learned at jump 11 and jumped my first pack job on 17, and actually my man Mike Z taught me for free. I bought him beer because he deserved it. Otherwise thats how I learned how to pack.

Also right after the last load is a great time to practice, because people have time to sit around and watch you get frustrated while they help.

PS a big shout out to all those people that helped and gave me words of encouragement like "Are you really gonna jump that" and "Holy shit thats fucked up are you really gonna jump that", and the ever popular " well at least you have a reserve"