HeatherB

Hurricane Charley

I have a buddy (an ex skydiver and ex teammate) that just called me...The idiot flew into Miami when the CXLed his ORL flight and rented a car...He is now sitting under a bridge in 70 MPH winds...

I told him to turn around....Asshole should have listened.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I got pounded pretty good here in Lakeland. I would estimate a steady 50 with gusts of 75 or so. All the trees stayed put, but I was beginning to wonder. I spoke with PLF during the storm. He said there were three structure fires as we spoke, but no crews could get to them until the wind died down.(Paul is with the Lakeland Fire Department).100 people have been injured in a retirement home, and several structures have been destroyed. The eye of the storm passed very close to Lake Wales, and my guess would be of significant damage out there, although this is only speculation.
86mph gusts were recorded at Orlando International in the last 20 minutes or so, you guys hang on to your hats.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Aw shit, it's shifted. My area is smack-dab on the line now. B|

Edir: They just said Charley is stronger now than when Andrew made landfall.

That read line they are projecting for the center is headed right for my house. I was just at WFFC too, I had no idea I was driving home to a hurricane. :o

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

strange, I cancelled our slot at the windtunnel in Orlando tonite so I could stay at home in sarasota, since the prediction for landfall was nearby. Now it appears that Orlando got hit by charley much harder than us!!

We only got a steady rain all day, lite drizzles and the sun even poked out as it went down over the gulf beach nearby.

The electricity actually went out AFTER the heavy rains ended, but only for TWO hours...I figured they wouldn't fix ours for a long time because over 500,000 people had no power in ft myers + portcharlotte areas.

The eye went inland from pt charlotte harbor, then north towards lake wales, orlando..... passing through the little town Arcadia around 40 miles east of us, leaving few buildings untouched. TV now says that not a single road is passable anywhere in DeSoto county to our east. wow!

Emergency Services in Pt Charlotte actually lost their roof!!:STV is now showing footage of that area. Lots of people retire to Florida, and live in trailers. Of course those all were destroyed. A car was upside down next to what this morning were 4 or 5 trailers...

With all the computer models for predicting storm tracks, those events have a life of their own and go where they please.....

PS TV keeps showing more! Because the storm dropped so much water inland, instead of flooding earlier, major rivers feeding into portcharlotte and manatee areas will by 8am tomorrow have a flood level of 18 FEET, SIX FEET ABOVE the what they consider Flood Level.....:S

there are a lot of DZ's in the area around Orlando isn't there?
Did they come out of Charlie OK,?
Lots of ppl live on them too I understand, I hope all are well.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I heard from my family in Ft Myers last night - they made it through ok, but they aren't going anywhere for awhile. Roads are flooded/blocked with trees. Their power is out as well, said it may be out for a week.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I hate to be the barer of bad news on my first post but yes you did see Lake Wales.... half the hanger is gone and they had the plane inside..... wow I can hardly believe it. Best wishes go out to everyone. Any update on Z-Hills or Deland???

-Tiffany

Lake Wales destroyed. Z-Hills made it without a scratch.

No shit about that hindsight thing:P....just got home from Orlando. Where I was (south Orlando, in the Disney area) didn't seem to get it to bad:S. Lots of trees and signs down and most street lights had no power, but all the business in that very small area were up and running this morning, along with all the Disney parks open (I crashed at a Disney workers place). My best wishes go out to everyone, hope you are safe and sound....any update on the people at LW?!?!:(

I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC. The biggest tree in our yard fell on my car. >:( I just came home from WFFC, didn't know I was coming home to a hurricane or I would have stayed. Luckily it only busted out my back windshield and my tailight. I'll have pics of the yard/car later when my little sister brings back the digicam that she jacked. We just got power pack, we lost it around 11:30 am.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

I just heard that Hurricane Earl is off the coast of Venezuela and is following the same path as Charley. I hope it shifts! :S I also saw where Captiva Island has a new channel now where all the trees got wiped out in a section of the beach and now the water is flowing through.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon