JohnRich

600-Pound Woman Dies After Being Surgically Removed From Couch

...a 600-pound woman who was having trouble breathing. Rescuers went in not knowing how difficult it would be to get her out. 40-year-old Gail Grinds was literally stuck to her couch and had to be removed surgically at the hospital. Authorities estimate she had been on the couch anywhere from two to five years. Martin County Fire amd Rescue crews faced what seemed to be an impossible mission. Everyone going inside had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.

Full News Story

Thats a thought, if she was 'grafted' onto the couch and they had to cut her out did they weigh her with bits of the couch still stuck on her or bits of her still stuck on the couch?
Those few pounds either way can make all the difference to someones self esteem!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

...a 600-pound woman who was having trouble breathing. Rescuers went in not knowing how difficult it would be to get her out. 40-year-old Gail Grinds was literally stuck to her couch and had to be removed surgically at the hospital. Authorities estimate she had been on the couch anywhere from two to five years. Martin County Fire amd Rescue crews faced what seemed to be an impossible mission. Everyone going inside had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.

Full News Story

I've treated several 500+ pounders in the ERand ICU. Putting in a foley (urinary) catheter takes seven people (one with the catheter, two for each leg, one to pull back the abdominal fat and a labia spreader. The 'inserter' needs supplemental oxygen.

One of these patients was pregnant (estimated 5' 4" and 700 lbs)and I've always wondered if it took seven people to accomplish the task. :)

Michael

OK. I'll ask the obvious... Did she not have to go potty in five years?

From the article:

---
Everyone going inside had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.
---

Get it? She obviously cut loose as needed and the family just cleaned up anything that spilled outside "the zone".

>:(

. . =(_8^(1)

You're an evil bastard, aren't you? >:(

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Nursing ...just another glamor profession. OTOH, graveyard shift in the ER ...the best show in town!

Michael

You know you've been an ER nurse too long when you find out the baby you delivered in the parking lot is back ...as a 15 y/o drug overdose.

Wait a minute. Could this be the result of a practical joke gone bad? I could have sworn i saw something in the papers a few years ago like... "Crazed bandits glue housewife to sofa!"
A lesson for all of us I think.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

here was a link to another 1,000lb guy that made the news this week....maybe the one you speak of and maybe not...either way, SCARY PIC!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/08/11/half.ton.man.ap/index.html

Looks like the Emperor's son from the movie DUNE :D:D

i cannot fathom this....it's just too unreal. The woman actually had a family too living with her! How on EARTH do you go for a period of 2-5 years, seeing your mum/wife on the couch in the same spot, day in day out for that time period, not even getting up to go to the toilet, cleaning up her bodily waste for that period of time, and actually live like that?

It absolutely boggles the mind.:S

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts