Slappie

Pet Poll

Oh hell man, I don't get on here much anymore, I didn't know you lost Fat Cat!!! I'm sorry man, I know how bad that sucks, we had to put a cat to sleep due to feline HIV about a month or so ago... I'm not much of a cat person, but Fat Cat was one of the coolest I've ever seen.. sorry man.

Be careful with cats, a ot of people are alergic and you may rune your odds on the dating scene (if this is an issue).

I vote for a puppy as you can train them to be a devoted companion... And, training is important. If you have 2 other roomates, maybe they could get involved in potty and obediant training too. I recomend kennel training while you are away and they like their own little den.

We work a lot and spend the entire weekend with the dog. We work from 7 - 6 and I think "Moose" is happy to see us leave on Monday morning so he can catch up on his sleep!

Dogs rule!

Well the other two in the house are my GF & her 8yo son. I don't really think I'm to worried about the dating scene atm. Who knows what the future holds though :D:D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Oh hell man, I don't get on here much anymore, I didn't know you lost Fat Cat!!! I'm sorry man, I know how bad that sucks, we had to put a cat to sleep due to feline HIV about a month or so ago... I'm not much of a cat person, but Fat Cat was one of the coolest I've ever seen.. sorry man.

Sorry to hear about your kitty.. Thanks alot :D Fatcat was deffinetly one of a kind.. Never met a cat like that dude. He was a little mini person trapped in a catsuit. He was so laidback and cool.. dang I miss that dude.. :(

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Pussy bird!

Teach it to talk and have it say - "Here bunny Bunny Bunny - Here Bunnny"

Huh?

Cassowaries have been known to kill people...

WTF am I going to do with a 8' bird known to kill humans? Take it to the DZ and chase whuffos?

WTF am I going to do with a 8' bird known to kill humans? Take it to the DZ and chase whuffos?

No. Whuffos don't go to the DZ. That is why they're whuffos. Go to the bowling alley instead.

>:(

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

i agree completely about raising your pets.

however, there is also something special about adopting the older ones. its almost like they realize what you've done for them. i have the most amazing bond with my dogs that ive adopted as adults. i really think they understand that you saved them:)
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I know you are right. I have a new kitten now, but he's an addition to my 2 adult cats. My oldest will accept a kitten grudgingly, but I know from past experience he would not accept an adult. I took in an adult stray a few years ago, and finally had to give her to my mom where she lived out her remaining years as a queen! With me and my boys, she was never happy!

i see your point definately. that seems to hold true with a lot of cats. either way you're giving an animal a home, which is a beautiful thing. :)

i have MANY dogs, and since i do rescue and fostering, they're used to other adult dogs coming and going..most of the time staying permanenty lol. im a softy.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I had 2 Springers when I was a kid.. Bestest dogs in all the world!! I love those dogs! They just tend to be like all Spaniels.. HYPER!!

Ok back to the two kitties thing, I believe this is what you must do, as your evil henchman I am giving you great advice! Look at the pictures of my kitties, Spooky and Trixie and how can you resist!

They are also into world domination!
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Pussy bird!

Teach it to talk and have it say - "Here bunny Bunny Bunny - Here Bunnny"

>:( Hey!!!

LOL
You finaly got it.>:(

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

They are also into world domination!

*Drool* World Domination!! Hey that's not a kitty that's a sack of potatos!! :D The white one reminds me of Fatcat.. B|

however, there is also something special about adopting the older ones. its almost like they realize what you've done for them. i have the most amazing bond with my dogs that ive adopted as adults. i really think they understand that you saved them. its a beautiful thing.

I agree. My rott/lab mutt was 2+ when I adopted him. He's now 4-5ish. I can't leave the house with him on walks because he's extremely protective of me with strangers. If I let someone in the house, he's great, because he knows I accept them though, and he's incredible with kids. A 2 year old wrapped herself around him at the vet's office and he just sat there and let her do whatever she wanted. With grownups he bounces like a basketball all over the place.

He was housetrained in 2 days (was kept outside before humane league, has scars around his neck from old collar) and understands everything I have to say. He's fine with me being gone all day, only needs to go out once every 12-14 hours. And I have him trained to sit on my feet in the winter to keep them warm. Life gets no better :)Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I got my Fatcat from SPCA so saving a cat from the shelter is deffinetly the way I'm going to go. Going to get 2 for sure...

IF that is the pet I decide to get. I may take another month to decide, this poll was just a sounding board to see if my thoughts were on the right track

It is the right track.

As someone who is very involved in my local TNR and placement community (having placed 7 kits in July alone, as well as right now raising a baby kit who needed to be bottle fed when I received him), here would be my suggestion.

A cat at 6-8 months is still enough of a kitten to provide the antics of babyhood, but by that time, if they've been fostered (which most TNR/Adoption places do), they are litter trained and socialized. They should also have been speutered. Remember that they should still be eating quality kitten food until about 10-11 months old (if you need some suggestions about which are best, pm me).

I would suggest two that have been homed/fostered together, and who already have a relationship. That way, they can rely on each other during the move, and while getting to know you. Further, at 6-8 months, you will know if they are affectionate lap cats, or more independent in nature. Both are wonderful aspects, and it just depends on you as to your wants and needs.

When you're ready, make the choice and make a difference to the lives of two fuzzbutts. In the meantime, if I can help answer any questions, don't hesitate to pm me. I'd be more than willing to answer.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Here are my thoughts....

Puppy: takes a lot of training to be a good dog, needs attention in the middle of the day...probably not your best bet right now.

Dog: I think adopting a dog from a shelter is hit or miss....if a puppy is not properly socialized, it may not grow up to be a good dog....

Kittens: Very cute, take only a little training...good idea

Cats: This is my vote for you...I adopted two adult cats from a shelter. I fell in love with the black one, but since they came into together, the shelter would only adopt them together, so I took the tabby. The tabby has turned out to be the best pet I have ever had. He is sweet, loves to cuddle, sleeps with me, and is playful. He also bit my lab mix dog on the ass the other day...funny as shit.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!