Slappie

Pet Poll

Ok it's about time.. almost 3 weeks since I lost my Fatcat to Feline Diabetes. I've been missing him. I think it's time I got a new pet.

Now what I want from you peeps is to help me decide on what I should look for. Here are some things you need to know...

I live in a condo 2 bedroom 2 bath about 1200sq. 3 of us in the house. I work 8-5 which = 7am to 6pm most days.

I've been thinking dog, but dogs need walks during the day etc.. Cats can use litterboxes and don't need the constant attention a dog would need or expect.

I will be adopting from a shelter in Houston be it SPCA, Houston Human Society.. etc... So buying a "papered pet" isn't an opition. I don't want fish, rabbits, Ferrets or anything rodent like.

Cats or Dogs are my thoughts.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Dogs are wonderful! I love my two babies, and I do have a suggestion for you.

Look for a breed that is described as "inactive indoors"...these are usually good dogs to have in an apartment or condo. A lab probably isn't a good choice. A chow chow is. (I have one of each) I got my chow (a mix, but he's 90% chow) when I had a 900 sq ft condo, and he did fine.

The thing about the chow chow is they are very clean dogs, and are easy easy easy to housebreak. many of them naturally housebreak themselves, especially once they get used to a place that is their new home. They are very fastidious and don't like to go anywhere near where they sleep. Chows are very independent...I swear, sometimes I think I have a cat instead of a dog, he takes care of himself so well. My chow is fine left alone, doesn't chew or dig, and will NOT go in the house...if he does, then I know he's sick.

The other thing about a chow chow is that you need to "socialize" them young...meaning you need to have as many people, kids, and other dogs hold, pet and play (gently!) with the puppy. My chow is one of the most loyal dogs I've ever seen, and he definitely has his own personality. I know they have a bad rep, but I've seen and been around lots of these dogs, and not one of them has ever acted mean or aggressive toward me or my dogs. Its all in how they are raised.

Here's more info:

www.chowclub.org
http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/chow.cfm
http://www.chowchows.com/
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Two cats. They can keep each other company when you're working.

As far as kittens and litter box training: The local humane society has kittnes live in foster homes until they're old enough for adoption. They come socialized, potty trained, and spayed or neutered by the time you get them.

Ya I've been thinking if I go with a cat or kitten, I would be saving 2.

Hmmm dogs are fun, cats are independant.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Well, if it were me, I would start by letting my friends know that I was ...looking. Cats and dogs have been working night and day producing just what you are looking for. :)
I've always found a good number of them belong to friends and friends of friends who would sincerely appreciate finding someone who would provide a good home for them.

Get in touch, check them out and (in the near future, I bet) one will look up at you, move toward you and you will know that is your new buddy. Imprinting ( a nod to Conrad Lorentz) and a rewarding relationship start at that moment.

I've been giving this some thought, myself. I understand your emotions about your Fatcat. My cat, Hobbit, died a few years ago, just shy of her 20th birthday. I still sometimes get a twinge as I pass the 'pet' isle at the supermarket. I've always shared my home with a feline roommate but due to some things going on in my life, it would not have been right to do so now.

So given the above plan ...well, I've always been a sucker for the adorable kitten who walks over to say hello.

Michael

I vote for two cats (or kittens) as well. Probably best if you can find two littermates who have always been together... Since you are gone a lot, they'll be much happier having a mate to hang out with during the day.

Sorry to hear about your Fatcat. :(

Two frisky kittens are guaranteed to cheer you up though! :)

my opinion is 2 cats. they'll keep each other company, as others have said. also, cats tend to do better with being alone for long periods of time. there are exceptions though.

but i definately think you should go for adult cats. they're the last ones to get adopted. the shelter i work for has had the same adult cats for months now:(. everyone wants the kittens. so if having a baby isnt that important to you, go for a full grown kitty!
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

2 kittens- they can keep each other company while you are at work, and kittens are so darn cut! If they are left with their mother for at least 6-8 weeks, the mommy cat will take care of the litter box training. Its usually only the ones who were taken from their mothers too soon that have problems.

Get some birds! I have two hand reared cockatiels and they are as affectionate as any cat or dog - plus they can fly! B|
They come out and fly around every evening midweek, but keep each other company when I go away flying at the weekends :)
Steph
-x-

If you like the outdoors, get a Labrador Retriever, or mix.

They are very bright, most have a super disposition, and man - can they swim. They are also a typically healthy breed - the only thing one must watch out for is hip dysplasia (typical of all large breeds)

They adapt to any spacial situation, they have large piss tanks, and they are mucho fun to go stompin' in the woods with. You could get one that's already house trained from the S.P.C.A.

The downside - they SHED once a year, for 12 months. They crap a lot.

I'm rather partial, and I hate cats.B|

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

two adult cats who are ok with living with each other. that way they have company when you're not home.

a rescue is a good place to go, since they usually home multiple cats in one location. ask them to recommend two kitties who get along well and have good personalities. I got one of my boys from rescue, and he's a wonderful kitty! Petsmart has kitty adoptions every weekend, so that's a good place to start.

I think you should get 2 kitties. This way when you are gone they have each other and having two is not much more than having one. That is what i did last year after I lost my Orion to illness. I love my babies!

He'd end up killing them rather quickly.:D:P:P

I think Turtles make GREAT pets -

and you don't have to worry about entertaining them - just let them roam around a DZ all day . . . what better pet could there be - 'sides - a Turtle would even help you drink your beer.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I got my Fatcat from SPCA so saving a cat from the shelter is deffinetly the way I'm going to go. Going to get 2 for sure...

IF that is the pet I decide to get. I may take another month to decide, this poll was just a sounding board to see if my thoughts were on the right track :ph34r:

a Turtle would even help you drink your beer.

I can do this all on my own. I don't need any help.. promise!! :ph34r:

Turtles are actually very filthy animals. I had one when I was a kid. YUCK!

The RIGHT Turtle will clean up after its self.>:(

But he does get pretty upset if you pet him.:):P:P