billvon

Teleportation demonstrated

Real teleportation of physical states has recently been demonstrated in two places - NIST and the University of Innsbruck, Austria. Basically they would "entangle" two atoms such that their states were linked, then use a Bell state measurement to both destroy the first atom and transfer its state to the second one. After the operation, the second atom contains the information (or qubits) contained in the first. The atoms remained entangled for up to 4 milliseconds. Entanglement is a very creepy state, one in which the two atoms are so indistinguishable that they are literally the same - hit one and the other one shows a reaction. Although this means that real teleportation is now physically possible, the process would be so hideously complex that it will be a long time before anyone teleports objects. A much more interesting short term use is using the entanglement of two atoms (or masses of atoms) to transmit secure data. It's 100% secure because there is no connection at all between the two atoms, but data can travel between the two points using an operation like the one described above.

Definitely something to ponder on my next cross country canopy ride back from a bad spot. Especially the entanglement bit. Wonder if I'll be able to tell the reserve from the main on my first 2 out;)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Bill, while you say that the process is so hideously complex that you can't see it happening, remember that today's computers (which we walk around with, some in our pockets) have more power than one that would fill a building three decades ago.

And as we all know, the crew on Star Trek: Enterprise are still skittish about teleporting. They don't take it for granted the way Jean Luc Picard and company will in another two centuries.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

A much more interesting short term use is using the entanglement of two atoms (or masses of atoms) to transmit secure data.

I also believe that the time lag is zero. This means you could have real-time communication between, say, the earth and mars. No more of those pesky four-hour delays when talking with your favorite martians on the phone.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

If the time lag is in fact zero then this is not just a trifle this is seriously big honkin news, this is faster than light communications. What they have invented is the Ansible, an FTL radio, pure fantasy sci-fi since the idea was thought up. Do any of you have any idea how much cool shit you can make/build/develop with this?
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

>If the time lag is in fact zero then this is not just a trifle this is
>seriously big honkin news . . .

The time lag is in fact zero. But that's been demonstrated before. Take a symmetric event that emits a particle and an antiparticle. If you measure the speed of one and the position of the other, you've violated Heisenberg's principle, since the symmetry then gives you the energy and position for both. So if you measure the position of one particle a million miles from the event, the other particle (now two million miles from the first particle) instantly becomes non-measurable. Essentially instant communication over two million miles; to use Einstein's description of it, "spooky action at a distance." But there's always a catch.

In this case, as I understand it, a similar event occurs with the two entangled atoms. However (here's the catch) without the Bell state measurement the second particle is not decipherable; you know _something_ happened to it, but without the information conveyed in the state measurement you can't know what exactly was transferred. And the state measurement has to travel at the speed of light. Not so good for FTL communications, but great for secure messages; without both the entangled atom and the measurement no information is transferred.

> What they have invented is the Ansible . . .

The ansible was based on the idea of two entangled masses (considerably larger than atoms, of course.)

>Bill, while you say that the process is so hideously complex that you
> can't see it happening, remember that today's computers (which we
> walk around with, some in our pockets) have more power than one
>that would fill a building three decades ago.

True, but then again, we've been trying to perfect fusion power for about fifty years now, and we still haven't gotten much further than bombs. And fusion is child's play compared to this stuff. But who knows? Maybe it will only seem difficult until the next Einstein (or Hawking or Gould) comes along.

>If the time lag is in fact zero then this is not just a trifle this is
>seriously big honkin news . . .

The time lag is in fact zero. But that's been demonstrated before. Take a symmetric event that emits a particle and an antiparticle. If you measure the speed of one and the position of the other, you've violated Heisenberg's principle, since the symmetry then gives you the energy and position for both. So if you measure the position of one particle a million miles from the event, the other particle (now two million miles from the first particle) instantly becomes non-measurable. Essentially instant communication over two million miles; to use Einstein's description of it, "spooky action at a distance." But there's always a catch.

In this case, as I understand it, a similar event occurs with the two entangled atoms. However (here's the catch) without the Bell state measurement the second particle is not decipherable; you know _something_ happened to it, but without the information conveyed in the state measurement you can't know what exactly was transferred. And the state measurement has to travel at the speed of light. Not so good for FTL communications, but great for secure messages; without both the entangled atom and the measurement no information is transferred.

> What they have invented is the Ansible . . .

The ansible was based on the idea of two entangled masses (considerably larger than atoms, of course.)

:| .......yep, definitely migraine material.

>
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

>Bill, while you say that the process is so hideously complex that you
> can't see it happening, remember that today's computers (which we
> walk around with, some in our pockets) have more power than one
>that would fill a building three decades ago.

True, but then again, we've been trying to perfect fusion power for about fifty years now, and we still haven't gotten much further than bombs. And fusion is child's play compared to this stuff. But who knows? Maybe it will only seem difficult until the next Einstein (or Hawking or Gould) comes along.

Fusion power will take 50 years to perfect. That's been true for the last 50 years, and may continue to be true for many more.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

and what are you doing, sir?

:::nasty green mush oozes down the slide:::

why, I'm trying to exstrsact the sunlight from cucumbers, of course. another eighty years, and I'll have it all worked out.

Please, stay and help, it makes it much more exciting that way.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

From physicsweb.org
Entanglement leaps to larger scales
27 September 2001

Two macroscopic objects have been 'entangled' for the first time. Eugene Polzik and colleagues at the University of Aarhus in Denmark entangled two samples of caesium atoms, each containing about 1012 atoms, for half a millisecond - a long time by quantum standards. This demonstration could form the basis of new forms of 'quantum teleportation' and quantum computers (B Julsgaard et al 2001 Nature 413 400).

Distant relations

Entanglement is a feature of quantum mechanics that allows particles to share a much closer relationship than classical physics permits. A measurement on one part of an entangled system reveals the properties of the other part, even if they are physically separated.

Polzik and co-workers injected the caesium atoms into two cylindrical glass cells lying end to end, but separated by a few millimetres of air. The team then shone a pulse of right-handed circularly polarized light through one cylinder so that the spins of the atoms in that cell were aligned with each other. A left-handed pulse aligned the spins in the other cell in the opposite direction.

To entangle the atoms in the cells, a single polarized laser pulse passed through both cells. The momentum of the light changes the spin of the atoms in each cell slightly, by an equal and opposite amount. This means they are entangled - the exact spin of the atoms in each cell is unknown, but a measurement of the spin of one sample would reveal the spin of the other sample.

Since the spins of the atoms also change the momentum of the light as it passes through, a measurement of the light as it exits the second cell revealed the average spin of the two samples. This showed that entanglement had taken place.

Half a millisecond later, Polzik and colleagues sent a second pulse of linearly polarized light through both cells. Again, this changed the spins slightly, but the researchers found that the average spin was the same - this revealed that the entangled state was still intact. Systems containing just a few atoms have been entangled for longer periods, but the Aarhus result is a record for macroscopic objects.

'We have achieved entanglement with a single pulse of light, so in theory the samples can be placed at a considerable distance apart', Polzik told PhysicsWeb. 'This makes it the first type of entanglement useful for teleportation of atomic states and other types of quantum communication'

Entanglement is a feature of quantum mechanics that allows particles to share a much closer relationship than classical physics permits. A measurement on one part of an entangled system reveals the properties of the other part, even if they are physically separated.

Man, is that old news. Physics students have been using that line to pick up chicks for years. ;)
"Yeah baby, let's talk about entanglement." :ph34r:

Interesting. Have a link to some tech data?

Wouldn't it be cool to beam up to altitude? That would RULE!
:P

NAH, I like to bullshit with people on the way to alt!;)
But I can't wiat to see the fly in real life LOL
My photos

My Videos

Were you in my dream the other night?!!!! I had the same idea. We were beamed to a large flat cloud that had a small cloud covered waiting area, and you just walked over to the edge and jump off. For exits into the wind there was a seperate area where the cloud was in the jetstream and you just jumped off the cloud into the wind. Also there was a course consisting of small circular cloud rings that you dive through like in the cell phone skydiving game, but in my dream it was like the sega biker game "road rash" , jumpers had clubs and small pieces of chains that they could beat each other with to try and make their score better. There was no landing area tho?

there is a bill board ad for the Tower of Terror in Cali that got me thinking last time i was in Peris..

i has a stairway to an open door with nothing but blueskies on the otherside..i was imagining the scenario where the wizard and his apprentice come upstairs to find foot prints and beer cans scattered by their 'door'

"Damn skydivers have been sneaking in again i see Mickey???"