BigTom99

Video Goggles

Nice gadget! And probably great for every day use and use by people with less experience (like me) and lower number of jumps. However the resolution of 720-480 is not so good despite a 5MP element. And I also doubt that the optics are close to eg the Contour HD. But for every day use and to document your openings and landings might be the way to go.

Euh, yeah.

Not.

probably great for every day use

Nope.

and use by people with less experience (like me) and lower number of jumps

Forgetabboutit.

Read the sticky in the camera forum, and please don't give advice about camera flying to another (!) newbie :SB|

Come back when you have a couple hundred jumps, then you can figure out which camera to jump if you want.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Why would you pick them up when you can't jump 'em for another 150+ jumps?

And no they'll likely be not much good for jumping, see the other thread about these in the camera forum, and be sure to read the sticky there too!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

my sincere apologies! I was not recommending to do camera jumps to the thread starter and neither would I claim the ability to do this for me given my experience level. However the camera technology has developed a lot and basically you could have one with you that needs no active operating and neither adds weight or changes your aerodynamics or helmet shape and weight. Can you imagine people wearing these goggles say after they are A licensed or not? Is there a law against it or just a general rule according to the sticky that IS relevant but might not take into consideration the recent and next technology developments (and peoples abilities to handle cameras, youtube etc)?

Why would you pick them up when you can't jump 'em for another 150+ jumps?

I know you aren't supposed to shoot video until 200 jumps, but technology has changed so much that video is not that intrusive. It isn't like you have to wear a giant bucket on your head anymore. I am a total newbie with an 'A' license. I am considering some of the very small video cameras to use as a training tool for myself, not to take videos of others. I know the main arguement against it is the fact you have a video camera turned on can be a distraction, and yes I have seen the youtube video of AAD's going off because people with low jump numbers were playing with a video camera. I do know I would learn faster if I could review my jumps on video with an instructor.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Actually, I have - that is where I saw the YouTube link. It is also why I haven't already mounted a camera on my helmet, and am just considering it. There is no question in my mind I would become a safer skydiver faster using a video flight recorder to review my skydives. However, there is a question in my mind as to whether such device would distract me. Until I am relatively sure I won't be distracted by it, I will be a good little skydiver and follow the USPA recommendations as well as strangers I've never met on the internet.

Ha! I just realised who you are. Come see me at the DZ and i'll shoot some video for ya for free when I'm not wrestling on the mat. Been jumping camera since before i had 100 jumps though, so think about it first. I don't wanna kill ya, internet says I'm dangerous.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Hi Saskia, I did. And I talked with my (various) coaches throughout my journey so far. I see the risks and would like to bring in a different aspect here: Let us face it, in the "new age" cameras are present all the time. They are much more compact and easier to handle than only a few months ago these days. I am a skier and mountain biker and I also do radio controlled flying with helicopters and airplanes. Did I fall from the bike because I had the camera on my goggles or crash my plane? Probably not. Is it safer to be experienced to take a camera on your jump and consider the risks before like entanglements, distraction while skydiving? For sure YES.
Does it need straight 200+ jumps to do it given the new, small and simple to handle devices? Could it help me in making progress and document MY activities and their impact? And lots of questions like this which are worth while debating according to me. Let me take it to the extreme: In 12 months a simple sports goggle will cost 35 bucks without and 40 bucks with camera....

. I do know I would learn faster if I could review my jumps on video with an instructor.

Really doesn't work very well. Video is an AMAZING tool for learning... but not videos shot from your own point of view. They won't tell you much about what you're doing. The way to improve is to jump with people more experienced than you and ask for feedback. If you can get someone else to shoot video, great.

Dave

All hail the sticky, the 100% God's honest truth about skydiving with a camera. Respect the sticky or meet your fate at the hands of gravity and the earth.

I'm not going to "hail the sticky", but I am going to strongly consider the skills and experience of the folks that wrote it.
I am going to listen to people with that level of experience and skill.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Is it safer to be experienced to take a camera on your jump and consider the risks before like entanglements, distraction while skydiving? For sure YES.
Does it need straight 200+ jumps to do it given the new, small and simple to handle devices? Could it help me in making progress and document MY activities and their impact?

How does the size or simplicity of the camera have anything to do with the disctraction it will provide in freefall?

You do realize that every video camera used for skydiving is as simple as can be in freefall. You turn it on before you exit, and then do not touch it in anyway until the jump is over. Once all the settings are in place, a CX100 is just as easy to operate as a GoPro - power on, push record.

Check out this thread I posted in the video forum - http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3675905;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

>However the camera technology has developed a lot and basically
>you could have one with you that needs no active operating and neither
>adds weight or changes your aerodynamics or helmet shape and weight.

>I know you aren't supposed to shoot video until 200 jumps, but
>technology has changed so much that video is not that intrusive.

Once again several people are missing the point. The "intrusiveness", heaviness, complexity, snagginess etc of the video equipment is not the big issue; it's the additional concentration needed to fly video. That factor has gotten me and several other people I know of, and it cannot be removed by clever design of the video equipment. It cannot be mitigated by saying "I will turn it on and forget it." It cannot be helped by a camera so small you can't even feel it. Watching Youtube or playing with a camera on the ground will not make it go away. It will be present, and the only way to deal with it is to be so good/current/experienced with your normal flying that you can add a massive distraction to your normal routine and still have enough attention left over to notice the guy who just pulled beneath you.

>There is no question in my mind I would become a safer skydiver
>faster using a video flight recorder to review my skydives.

I can pretty much guarantee you will become a LESS safe skydiver while you learn to do video - which is why you need awareness to spare before trying it.

... I am a total newbie with an 'A' license. I am considering some of the very small video cameras to use as a training tool for myself...
...I do know I would learn faster if I could review my jumps on video with an instructor...

What are you looking to learn?

What are you expecting to see?

The only things I can see about myself on video I shoot are heading control and a little bit of relative fall rate.

Body postion, arch, leg position, and what my body is actually doing are all out of the shot.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon said "massive distraction".

That is what it is!!!, even after thousands of jumps.

You can't just "set it and forget it" like that infomercial.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

amen.....iowa

another aspect of 'jumping with a video camera' is that it labels a jumper
as "one who has achieved a certain level of ability"

it marks a jumper as 'other than an intermediate level skydiver'...(which somebody with 200 jumps IS!!!!!)( somebody with UNder 100 jumps is still only a NOVICE!!!! )

to a certain extent it can be interpreted as the equivilent of ' an instructor rating'...

In years and decades past, camera flying wanna-bees ( such as myself Twenty years ago!!would be thinking long and hard about adding such gear to the mix...(especially when a basic SONY Hi-8 camcorder was running at over a thousand dollars !!) [:/]

as such,,,one would seek out a mentor or two, one would watch carefully the actions and demeanor of those with experience and then aspire to emulate those noteworthy behaviors...
One would be humble and cautious in entering the camera flying discipline of our sport, not pushy and over confident, ( note i refrain from labeling ANYone as arrogant,, though some of those among us, KNOW who they are !!! ) and then would continue to maintain the highest standards of in -flight and on the ground behavior....:|
Nowadays,, it seems that as the price has dropped and availability of gear has climbed,,,,just about anybody with some credit line, on their card,,, who has a Best Buy nearby, or a computer link to B& H, can deem themselves "able and worthy" of being a freefall cameraperson.....:S[:/]

and it sure complicates things, when EVERYone seems to be walking around with some sort of video helmet...

What used to mark a jumper as knowledgable and experienced is often ,no longer the case...
Lets alllll just be careful out there, and more importantly let's concentrate a bit more on one of the BEST virtues a person can bring to our sport.... that of Patience!!!!!!:|

jmy
USPA # 9452
A 3914
D 12122
POPS 3935

The video review should be of your skydive looking at you. That way someone can review it and give you pointers on what to improve. If it is your POV, what are you going to gain?? You can't even see what you are doing. If you want video hire a videographer.

I agree completely that it isn't useful for freefall, but I feel there are at least two good reasons to have a video flight recorder during a solo jump.

1. A picture is worth a thousand words when I am trying to describe some minor malfunction during deployment or canopy flight and how I react to it. Ditto for major malfunction.

2. I feel I can better learn canopy control skills, accuracy, pattern flying, etc if I narrate what I am attempting and have that video reviewed by an instructor.

BTW- I have since learned that my Dropzone (Start Skydiving) pretty much interprets the USPA recommendation of 200 jumps as a BSR.

I trust and respect the staff at Start Skydiving, and since they say don't do it, I won't. I'm not in a hurry to injure/kill myself.