DTOXX

Damn London is "spendy"

I have just arrived for some vacation in London and Paris. The exchange rate, at the American Express booth, is $1.963 per £1.

This is going to cost me an arm and BOTH legs.:S

Shouldn't a discussion on the declining value of the US dollar go into Speakers Corner?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

nahh not really,Europe is about the same price thats why we all drive in small cars were US people tend to think bigger=better:P

Here we actualy pay for stuff:P:D

besides that we do great here dont ya think:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

YOu got lucky. When I was there, the WSJ listed the exchange as about $1.90, which means I paid about $2 per £1, plus their damned sevice charge. The worst part was I had changed my money to euros while on the continent, but had to change it again in the UK. THAT was fun, let me tell you. Had a great time though.

Enjoy.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I hear ya buddy iàm actually in rome right now and the dollar to euro exchange rate is 1.2-1.3 dollars per euro, PLUS even if the euro was 1 to 1 to the dollar things are still more expensive.

mcdonalds is about 20% more here and u have to pay for everything such as ketchups, and eating out at a 'real' restaurant is usually very expensive. no wonder everyone drives small cars so they can afford to buy food!

however, i am greatly enjoying myself here, the vatican is amazing so much wealth and ornate work!!! romans ruins are less impressive but still cool. I keep thinking of the movie Gladiator with the colloseum.

also i got the phone number and email of a beautiful italian chica here B| B| B| who really likes tall american guys!! :)
going to geneva after checking out the sistine chapel tommorow, then vienna, prague, warsaw, berlin, and from there gotta decide where to go next. gotta make use of my euro train pass. :)

but rember as the $ are low we buy more in the US:P he he ohh by the way im waitng on a brand new canopy,i think i got it aprox 1-200$cheaper than if the $were its usual;)

EDIT: you can pay by Euro in UK but its abit expencive i guess;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Yeah.. but London + South East is about 20% more expensive than the rest of the UK. We have been bitching for years how virtually the rest of the planet (with the exception of Japan and Switzerland) is cheaper than the UK. Still, the exchange rate sounds bad. Couple of years ago it was 1.35 to the pound. Sorry mate.:S

I have just arrived for some vacation in London and Paris. The exchange rate, at the American Express booth, is $1.963 per £1.

This is going to cost me an arm and BOTH legs.:S

Then use your remaining arm to drag yourself to Kings Cross Station and get a train up to Edinburgh! The superior capital city of the UK.B|B|B|

After all, no-one who's anyone is in London during the Edinburgh Festival!:S You get the Festival (classical stuff), the Festival Fringe (crazy stuff), The Jazz Festival, the Film Festival, the Book Festival...

All in a city you can comfortably walk around. PLUS: Edinburgh has nice "elastic" licensing hours. Some pubs close at 2300hrs, some at Midnight, some at 0100, some at 0200, some at 0300, nightclubs open 'til 0430, and at 0445 there's a pub that opensB| with quite a few opening at 0600hrs (for the nightshift workers of course;)). If your liver can stand the pace, there's no actual need for a place to stay / bed:D.... All in a city you can comfortably stagger around!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

nahh not really,Europe is about the same price thats why we all drive in small cars were US people tend to think bigger=better:P

Here we actualy pay for stuff:P:D

besides that we do great here dont ya think:)

What do you mean "not really". The $US has declined about 40% against the pound and Euro in the last 18 months.

That's a big time decline in a reserve currency.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Some stuff is expensive, some stuff isn't. At least when I was there for a couple of weeks last fall.

Museums weren't not expensive; going to the grocery store for some tabouli from the cold-foods bin wasn't expensive (but man was it good). Tesco, if you shop carefully, isn't expensive.

Eating at classy restaurants was not at all cheap. Walking around and looking into store windows was a lot cheaper than shopping in them. Harrods, which is on many's must-go list, seemed to be a wonderful place to separate rich people from too much money.

But some of the sidewalk fairs were fun, and Covent Garden was fun for doing Christmas shopping. Walking around on the south bank of the river was a lot of fun...

If you want to live like an American there, you're shit out of luck if you don't have a lot of money. But I had a blast last year.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

but rember as the $ are low we buy more in the US:P he he ohh by the way im waitng on a brand new canopy,i think i got it aprox 1-200$cheaper than if the $were its usual;)

Yeah, good isn't it! :)
I hope you guys are having a good time over here in Europe... London is great fun (albeit very expensive) and Rome is just fantastic - I've been 6 times!!! I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Sistene Chapel - it does have a damn fine ceiling!

Steph
-x-

hehe, yup. My New Zealand friend is always distraught when he converts prices here back into his home currency... but then he's on three times the salery over here so it's not so bad. He just wishes he could have his UK salery and his NZ cost of living.

They're good no doubt. They offer a "Sorry Ronny" meal which has a burger twice the size of a big mac, fries and a coke all for the same price as a big mac meal.

For 50p (or £1 I forget) you get to upgrade to a pint of beer instead of the soft drink.

dont cry we pay near 50% in tax plus 25% on all stuff we buy,now go figureB|cant be more expencive than that... but we do get some good stuff out of that anyway:P
like:
free roads(besides 1 brigede)
free hospitals/medical care
free libarys
etc ect

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

clay lurveeees Weatherspoons..

seriously dude, you thought that one was cheap, try one outside london. You'd be amazed...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies