virgin-burner

how much is the 4yrs service for a cypres2?

ya, that's what i'm thinking really..

selling on the old gear, wanted to keep the cypres, first, the prospective guy wanted it, now not; i should be happy as it's sticking to the original plan..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

just not sure if we in europe (where it's manufactured) will be ripped off; new cypres2, plus repack, plus putting it into the rig, runs around 1900$ here..

but yea, the guy just walked out the door with my old rig minus the cypres2, so what can i do about it now.. :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

About CYPRES Maintenance: Unlike other AAD manufacturers Airtec gives a 12,5 year full-warranty for their product, assumed that the 4-year checks are done. That means, whatever happens to your Cypres they will fix it for free. With other manufacturers you only have one year warranty. Of course, if you damage it intentionally, like driving your truck over it, you will be charged for the repair. The maintenance is done at a fixed cost, which is only slightly changed by the fee for the riggers service. In Germany it will be between 170 and 200 Euros. It is done at the manufacturer because only there the quality control can be guaranteed 100%. Testing can be done by SSK in the USA, but if repairs are necessary they will send the unit to Germany.

Maintenance items:
all wear and tear is taken care of
everything is checked and calibrated:
-temperature stability check and adjustment
-precision of pressure check and adjustment
-precision of altitude check and adjustment
-power consumption check and analysis
-capability to fire is checked
-functionality of the cutter is checked
-shielding check and adjustment
-waterproofness check and adjustment
-condition of measurement technique and analysis
-replacement of battery
-replacement of filter
all necessary repairs are done
hard and software are updated
all applicable improvements (discovered in the last 4 years) are installed
adjustments to changed environmental conditions are done

To explain the last point: A construction can only be done to the known circumstances at the time of the design. Years later, things can change or new things can turn up which alter the environment of the device. In case the device can not cope with the new situation, it has to be adjusted. It would be fatal if not. For example, during the existence of the Cypres, cell phones were developed. The original shielding protected the Cypres from radar, radios, GPS signals, but not from cell phones which showed up later. Airtec developed a new shielding which was installed to all units that came in for service. And of course, the cost was included in the fixed service price.

I don't know what AAD and Aviacom do, but I hope that helps.

By the way: The idea of providing service at a fixed cost came up because in the old time AADs hat to be serviced every six months, and nobody knew about the cost in advance. That was one reason why AADs have not been very popular at the good old times. With Vigil and Argus we are moving back into that direction. That might be not a big deal to most of us, but it is point to consider before choosing an AAD.

Please take the last part of this post as pure information, and don't turn this thread into a Cypres-/Vigil-/Argus-bashing thread. Just jump what you think is the best AAD.
1300 Sprünge, 100er Wingsuit Formation, viele nette Menschen kennengelernt, keine Unfälle. Schön war's!