Sebazz1

Was it Rubber Side UP or DOWN?

Ouchie... About two weeks ago I wrecked my motorcycle. Surprisingly I did not break anything or die for that matter. Ya know laying down a bike at 50 mph hurt really bad. I refused any ambulance (stupidly) until I was able to get my bike hauled out, then I had my sister who lives near me take me to the ER. Just some seriously major major bruising to my lower right back, ribs, right hip, and pelvis. A couple scrapes but my leathers pretty much kept my body scratch free. Two and a half weeks have gone by and my lower back and ribs are the two things that are still really hurting. I stopped taking the vicoden after day two. It just makes me feel like shit. So I deal with it but every day I feel the pain loosening up just a bit. I hope to be able to jump soon but right now I seriously doubt it would be a pleasant experience.

I was riding with a friend down highway 84 in San Mateo county when a truck crossed over into our lane coming the other direction. My friend and I where riding approx 45-50 mph kind of staggered with him up front on the left and I was slightly behind him on the right of the lane. Well when my friend shifted quickly to the middle of the road to adjust for the oncoming traffic I had to shift off the the road :PB| to avoid him and on coming truck. Really it happened so fast that I still have a little trouble remembering every detail exactly. I touched the brakes ever so slightly which contributed a little to my sliding. I kept the bike straight for a little while avoiding trees, gaurd rails, cliffs and other potentially bike wrecking life ending obstacles. I was able to manuever into a dirt turnout and intentionally lay down the bike on it's right sending me and bike into a dirt burm, just barely avoiding being launched over a cliff.... Phew I feel winded...:P

Anyway, me a bike are gonna be ok. I have recieved a gazillion phone calls from a gazillion friends and everybody was concerned about my well being. But in my post crash situation I have been kinda hiding out to myself in a funk. I really really appreciate the concern and good wishes. I love you guys and gals and I am fine and my bike will be roaring yet again in the not too distant future. I am one lucky SOB!:)
I figure another week or two and I can jump again...

Ciao.

Glad to hear you're ok.

I loved riding my bike, but the "other guy", especially in SF and surrounding areas became a bit too much. Even with a big, obnoxious, loud bike, I was still "invisible". Too many friends hurt/killed by people driving SUV's while on the phone/putting on makeup/slapping their kids etc...

Then, I was cutoff by a car making a left from the middle lane w/ no blinker on a hill w/ timed lights. Slid out, bailed, and did a few cartwheels in the air before somehow landing w/ nothing broken.

This was only one incident of quite a few. I miss riding, but the risk of the "other guy" became not worth it anymore.

my $.02

Blog Clicky

Damn, We may have to take that "E" out of your login and rename you SBAZZ. LOL

Glad everything is still in one piece, except your sanity. Don't they sell training whells for those kinda bike?

BTW- if your back and ribs still hurt it wouldnt be wise to try and get a jump in. I know it sucks but wait til your healed up man
My photos

My Videos

There's an old saying that I believe is true when riding a bike and when it comes to crashing... "it's not 'if it will happen' but 'when' "

Almost everyone I know who has a bike has either gone down and walked away with minor scratches or been carried away by the morgue or someplace in between. Those that haven't YET...

Glad to hear you're somewhat-ok Seb. [:/]

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Sebazz, I've been riding 23 years now and 18 on the street. Don't worry about the funk, it will pass.

Try to rebember exactly what happened. It's very important to understand why the bike acted the way it did.

Fix it up, show it some love and ride it again. You will enjoy it.

Feel better, if you need any bike related advice, shoot me a PM.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Not staggered enough... Its was like half of my bike length on his right. When I tapped my brake to slow down a tad it was instataneous loss of traction. I should have never tapped the brakes but instintively I did thinking I might get hit. I should have just held the turn hoping for the best. I prolly would not have hit my friend. It was too close...

Arggg. So stupid I know!!

There's an old saying that I believe is true when riding a bike and when it comes to crashing... "it's not 'if it will happen' but 'when' "

A bit defeatist, isn't it? Would be like saying every skydiver will bounce eventually...or if we're being kinder, will have a mal. The probability of crashing the bike is somewhere in between.

I'm at 10 years and 80,000 miles and I don't plan to go down. Bad luck can't be controlled, but I'll never surrender to that old 'wisdom.'

Not staggered enough... Its was like half of my bike length on his right. When I tapped my brake to slow down a tad it was instataneous loss of traction. I should have never tapped the brakes but instintively I did thinking I might get hit. I should have just held the turn hoping for the best. I prolly would not have hit my friend. It was too close...

Arggg. So stupid I know!!

Well, you're alive, and obviously wiser. That's what counts.

I've been riding motorcycles for 35 years. I've wrecked three times. Fortunately nothing serious. One of them wasn't my fault; the Other Guy made a left turn in front of me. I learned that day that I could have easily avoided the incident though by maintaining the Circle of Awareness. Pay constant attention. Check your surroundings every three to five seconds. Always assume that the Other Guy is just about to cut you or your buddy off, that there will be a 4X4 chunk of wood or someone's tailpipe laying in the road right in front of you, that the idiot in front of you is going to see a squirrel crossing the road and slam on his brakes, that a card table is gonna fall out of a pickup truck and land in your lane. Always wear your helmet even if it's not required. To the insurance companies, you're just a random statistic, but remember that you can eliminate almost *all* of the risk by maintaining your Circle of Awareness at all times.