Deyan

Packing tabs on reserves

Is there some special reason why the new reserves (PDR,Optimum,Smart,Speed etc.) are without them?
I mean , PD use them for the most main canopies,but not for the reserves.
I would like to hear some opinions why not, because I really think that they are handy to use even for Pro Packing( I'm talking about pro packing reserves,not mains)

And at the end.....PLEASE don't start the brand war again.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

One Manf. said they took off the tabs to decrease the packing volume, it is not much they say but when dealing with the micro sizes it apparently makes a difference. Another Maf. said, who needs um for a reserve? if a rigger needs um they need to retrain.

When they are there I use them, when not, I don't.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

PD needs to get with the program and not put fucking tabs on the main canopies..
the center tab always gets in my way of first stow and i just cut them off...

and one of my customer sends the canopy back to PD for reline and inspection, upon return i find fucking NEW tab over center cell....

it is 2010,,, no one flat packs anymore....
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Packing tabs were only sewn onto second and third generation reserves that were certified when it was fashionable to sew packing tabs onto mains.
For example, Raven and Laser were designed in the mid 1980s, at the height of popularity of packing tabs on mains.
Ravens and Lasers were also widely sold as main canopies.
Back then, side-packing was fashionable and packing tabs speeded up side-packing.

But when Performance Designs developed the "PD" reserves - at the end of the 1980s, all the cool sky-gods were PRO-packing their mains.

I doubt if packing tabs add much bulk to a reserve, but they are definitely more labour to sew on.

Packing tabs were only sewn onto second and third generation reserves that were certified when it was fashionable to sew packing tabs onto mains.
For example, Raven and Laser were designed in the mid 1980s, at the height of popularity of packing tabs on mains.
Ravens and Lasers were also widely sold as main canopies.
Back then, side-packing was fashionable and packing tabs speed-ed up side-packing.

But when Performance Designs developed the "PD" reserves - at the end of the 1980s, all the cool sky-gods were PRO-packing their mains.

I doubt if packing tabs add much bulk to a reserve, but they are definitely more labour to sew on.

I saw a guy once years ago that had sewn mating Velcro onto the packing tabs of a Cloud to slow the deployment! :o

~Damn if it didn't work too! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

" ... I saw a guy once years ago that had sewn mating Velcro onto the packing tabs of a Cloud to slow the deployment! :o ..."

~Damn if it didn't work too! :ph34r:

..."

..................................................................................................

That makes as much sense as a top-skin reefing-rope!
Hah!
Hah!
Given the short life of pile Velcro (100 to 200 jumps) he might have been better off with magnets.

:)
You got some good answers in the above posts.

There is no reason to have packing tabs on reserves - we do not need the extra tapes there even when "Flat Packing" but the old reserves were mfg. like that based on main mfg. /packing method.

A technical point of view:

There are few ways attaching the tapes to the top skin by the top ribs seam or by a center bartack - we do not need the extra oversew there & not a 42 bartack with "no need" holes in the area. Also if a reserve should be repaired at a packing tape area the tape should be removed & during (into seam) / after repair (bartack) set back in place - extra work for an item we do not need.

The VR360 tandem reserve which came out in the 80' have packing tabs & p/c attachment point (PCA) it was from the days that the VR360 was moved out from reserve service & could be used as a main & the VR360 was "Flat Packed" as a reserve - these days gone away but the VR360 still have packing tapes & PCA. I asked PD & UPT why they did not stop that - both said that it was TSO'd like that & can not be changed without FAA approval & it does not worth the work around that. Do we need this tapes ? Not at all IMO.

As was said new reserves were tested without packing tabs - good for all.

Cheers !!!

if flat packing is so great why not on velos???

1. Do you mean a Performance Designs "Velocity"?
2. If so, does PD recommend only a "Pro" pack for that canopy?
3. What types of "flat pack" are you including in your discussion? Stack? Roll?

Most canopies can be packed using most types of pack jobs, although some small, high performance canopies, (that are out of trim for example), need a bit more symmetry in packing than some "flat pack" styles provide, or else they will misbehave unacceptably on opening.

PD needs to get with the program and not put fucking tabs on the main canopies..
the center tab always gets in my way of first stow and i just cut them off...

and one of my customer sends the canopy back to PD for reline and inspection, upon return i find fucking NEW tab over center cell....

it is 2010,,, no one flat packs anymore....

I'm old school and cautious...I flat pack everything!