bigway

Aerodyne Icon I5 (Perfect container for newbies)?

My question is will a 176 Optimum fit into the I5. It should given that I was told a Smart 175 will.

Anybody?

The 176 Optimum packs smaller than the PDR-160. I dont know what the Smart 175 packs like... Maybe ask Aerodyne if the PDR-160 will fit?

I could do it for you, but teach a man to fish.

Preciate it! :P
"Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought." -Henri L.
Bergson

I own an I-5 with the pilot 188 zpx. I am newer jumper and like to pay packers due to me being a lazy jumper. I have 92 jumps and maybe packed my rig 20-30 times. I have the 175 smart reserve, an AAD and a skyhook. In the limited times I have packed my main it has been fairly easy to pack..it isnt as neat as others pack it, but not too hard to get it in the bag, has great openings and no issues thus far.

Not that i have a lot of experience versus other containers, but I love my Icon..much better than student gear. My main flies great, it has one heck of a glide. IMO the combination I have is a great beginner system for packing and flying. I hope this helps. Good luck!!
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

Don't know - haven't seen any zpx Pilot, so I don't know how big they pack. Best way to find out would probably be to borrow I5 and/or 150zpx and check it yourself (or even better with your local rigger). I'm not sure if the sizing chart on Aerodyne site:
http://www.flyaerodyne.com/fly/iconsel.asp

is still valid, as it looks to me, it was not updated, after they started offering canopies made of zpx fabric (you might want to ask Aerodyne about that).

cheers,
Bart ;)

I have fit as small as a 117 (regular ZP) in a I5 with some drastic shortening of the closing loop. It still had decent tension on the closing loop, but it was getting pretty soft.

I think an I5 is an excellent first container choice. Put the smart 175 reserve in there so you have something nice to land in someones small backyard after a chop.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Most probably a 150ZPX will be too lose in an I5. In regards to the update of the container sizing chart I got following answer from Aerodyne:
"That is correct. A Pilot 210 Zpx will fit into a Icon I5. Our engineers are
working on updating our packing charts for the web site. We hope to have
them posted soon
. A ZpX canopy 150 or bigger can pack about 1 1/2-2 canopy
sizes smaller. (i.e. the 210 will pack like a 175.) if the canopy in smaller
then a 150 it will pack about 1 size smaller, due to the amount of binding
tape used. If you have any other questions please let me know."
Blue Skies,

Be sure to include appropriate reserve size (for the jumper, not just the container) when considering equipment.

Ex: If planning for the long term to go from a 210 main to a 170 over hundreds of jumps, is a 160 a good plan? Is that 160 going to save your life style of walking, running, skydiving, or just ensure you have a pulse?

Perfect container for newbies is the "used container"

buy one for around 1000 and put 100-200 jumps on it and sell it back.

buying new shit for your first rig is stupid, but everyone wants their own colors.

You can always go up one size and go down two sizes on most of the rig.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

sammielu

Be sure to include appropriate reserve size (for the jumper, not just the container) when considering equipment.

Ex: If planning for the long term to go from a 210 main to a 170 over hundreds of jumps, is a 160 a good plan? Is that 160 going to save your life style of walking, running, skydiving, or just ensure you have a pulse?

Not sure you understood my question....I've had my I5 for 300 jumps, starting with a 170 main, and a 160 reserve is more than ample for me (I now fly a 139 main loaded at 1.4:1). I was just wondering about Zulu pack volume and if anyone had experience with a 132 in the I5. I'm thinking it'll prob be too squishy.

Mine was a general comment addressing any newer jumper looking to buy a first rig and planning to get as many downsizes as possible. Then there was talk of a 210 fitting in the same container with the goal being a 150 or smaller main after hundreds of jumps = alarm bells for me.

Appropriate reserve size - for the jumper - needs to be included in any discussion of container sizing.