devarona

from cheap to cheap

I got the first 150 for a very sick price. I was scared of a low WL in such a short time, but you know how foolish people are, they never listen until something happens... I tried the 150 and didn't find it to be so different. Then again, to be honest, I only judged that upon landing, not emergency evasions like the one ive read in this post. I finished AFF in february and ive been to 6 DZs so far, 3 in the US and 3 in Europe and the only place I got shit for my gear was in France where I had to rent a 210 because they didnt let me fly my main. The thing is, ive never been scared into upsizing, not until this post! After reading all this I think I should just sell everything I got and buy something bigger...

WHAT SIZE SHOULD I BUY!?

Thats the kind of advice I really needed! thanx a lot! I almost considered returning it but I think Ill use it until I get the money for another PDR. I think I should practice PLF from a tall structure somewhere since ive never done a PLF in my life! well... :D

Sigh.

Did you ever take a first jump course? No PLF?! [:/]

hope he's learned about canopy-progression too there! :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

There are awesome deals around! I was thinking of buying a canopy I saw for a stupid price and resell it but I had to buy my own main first!

Never let price or style be the deciding factors in buying gear. I know you don’t want to hear this but if you upsize a 190 would be something to look at. Keep in mind the reason you wear a parachute is so you can land safely and go do it again.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

quoting something i read on here awhile ago (apologies to the original author, i saved the text, but not the name!):

Landing straight in is easy. Basic maneuvers aren't too exciting until things start getting wrong but that's exactly what you're sizing your canopy for - a down-wind landing on pavement following a low turn to avoid power lines you didn't see until it was almost too late due to low light on the sunset load where you are landing out due to a bad spot because some cute girls flashed the pilot, everyone got extra altitude, and your hypoxic friend got his foot stuck on the seatbelt so your climbout took too long.

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I got the first 150 for a very sick price. I was scared of a low WL in such a short time, but you know how foolish people are, they never listen until something happens... I tried the 150 and didn't find it to be so different.

It is really disheartening to me to hear young jumpers with this mentality. "I jumped a 150 for 50 jumps and nothing bad happened so I am ok."

Nothing bad has happened YET!

Would you like a list of fatalities due to improperly sized canopy paired with inexperience?

I really hate to see you added to the list because you got the gear for a "sick" price.

Think of how "sick" you will feel once you are injured (perhaps fatally) under that canopy.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

[

WHAT SIZE SHOULD I BUY!?

I weigh 185# out the door - I jump a Spectre 210 main and a PD 235 reserve. I have 2,696 jumps.........does that give you a clue?

Yea, but you are old and slow. :P My last rig was a 245 main and 210 reserve. I am old and slow to, but I am damn good at it.

Sparky

You do know that a broken leg can cost $30,000 - $40,000 for your first hospital stay?

Complications make things even more expensive - my bone graft has run $20,000 so far at the insurance company's negotiated rates (the bills total $56,000 at list price).

30k! Is it really that much on average, or do you just have an expensive hospital? When I broke my arm it was only about $6500 ($8500 in today's dollars), which included a day at the hospital. Maybe I ended up with a good deal, or are broken legs that much more expensive?

eric

You do know that a broken leg can cost $30,000 - $40,000 for your first hospital stay?

Complications make things even more expensive - my bone graft has run $20,000 so far at the insurance company's negotiated rates (the bills total $56,000 at list price).

30k! Is it really that much on average, or do you just have an expensive hospital? When I broke my arm it was only about $6500 ($8500 in today's dollars), which included a day at the hospital. Maybe I ended up with a good deal, or are broken legs that much more expensive?

eric

They installed a titanium IM nail with four screws (which took an orthopedic surgeon and anesthesiologist) and I may have spent 3 days in the hospital (obviously, I was on drugs after getting admitted to the hospital).

None of that was inexpensive.

By todays downsizing trends, with 47 years and close to 3000 jumps you should be jumping a Velocity 71 and a PDR 99? ;)

"Bill Booth: I don't jump much greater than a 1:1 wing loading. It's a simple rule I live by...I always want a little more canopy over my head than absolutely necessary, for those off-DZ, or broken-line, or last minute avoidance situations. Call me old fashioned, but I still walk without a limp after 35 years of skydiving. "

eric

My quadricep tendon rupture almost 2 years ago.
Hospital (2 hours out patient surgery) = $13,000
Anesthesiologist = $3,000
Orthopedic Surgeon = $2,700
Rehab = $7,000
Total = $25,700

I did my own rehab but that is what rehab would have cost. Cost me almost $6000 out of pocket with my crappy insurance.

Getting injured these day here in the US is very very expensive.

By todays downsizing trends, with 47 years and close to 3000 jumps you should be jumping a Velocity 71 and a PDR 99? ;)

"Bill Booth: I don't jump much greater than a 1:1 wing loading. It's a simple rule I live by...I always want a little more canopy over my head than absolutely necessary, for those off-DZ, or broken-line, or last minute avoidance situations. Call me old fashioned, but I still walk without a limp after 35 years of skydiving. "[/reply]

+1

Sparky

"Bill Booth: I don't jump much greater than a 1:1 wing loading. It's a simple rule I live by...I always want a little more canopy over my head than absolutely necessary, for those off-DZ, or broken-line, or last minute avoidance situations. Call me old fashioned, but I still walk without a limp after 35 years of skydiving. "[/reply]

+1

Sparky

I agree with Bill 100% - you will note my wingloading is much less than 1:1 - especially under my MC-4 - now there's a BIG canopy for me! None of those handkerchief-sized canopies for me.

[

WHAT SIZE SHOULD I BUY!?

I weigh 185# out the door - I jump a Spectre 210 main and a PD 235 reserve. I have 2,696 jumps.........does that give you a clue?

Yea, but you are old and slow. :P My last rig was a 245 main and 210 reserve. I am old and slow to, but I am damn good at it.

Sparky

I'm old and slow too, which is why I stay with my Spectre 135.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i use my reflex for all types of skydiving; freefly, wingsuit, skysurf, stoned jumps, etc.............
no problems at all with it. check to see if your reflex BOC pouch is spandex. if it is not you should get your rigger to change it to spandex. a non-spandex BOC pouch can cause the pilot chute to jam in there.
however, don't listen to me, im high.