mx19

opening

i recently done my fifth aff jump and im still in agony in my upper inner thigh from what i would think of as a hard opening... just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on dealing with thisas ithink ive only had 1 or poss 2 where it doesnt hurt so much?
cheers

Well I'm not very experienced, but hard openings do happen. If you are consistently getting hard openings, find a new packer or learn to pack your own. I don't like the openings I get with paid packers, which is why I've packed my own since about jump number 9 or 10. Body position could also result in a hard opening.

Also not experienced, but when jumping student gear, I hurt all the time. Now that I have my own, I don't. Remember, student gear is meant to fit a range of body types and, therefore, it really doesn't fit well. Just a thought from my VERY little experience.

What kind of gear are you jumping? I did most of my student jumps on ragged out Mantas and Sharpchuters that opened the same way. I got used to thinking that all canopies caused bruises when they opened, and that was just part of skydiving. The first time I jumped a Spectre, I almost chopped the damn thing because I wasn't used to how slow it opened. :o

The best things in life are dangerous.

Also not experienced, but when jumping student gear, I hurt all the time. Now that I have my own, I don't. Remember, student gear is meant to fit a range of body types and, therefore, it really doesn't fit well. Just a thought from my VERY little experience.

THANK YOU!!!

Opening shock is the worst thing about skydiving for me... the 230 I'm flying at the moment doesn't evens snivel the slightest, combined with the uncomfortable student harnesses...

Everytime I throw the PC, I count it out... 1000, 2000... BAM!!!! This thing opens in like 100 - 200ft max.

2 jumps and I'm nice and sore the next few days.

I did jump a new rental 210 once that was 100x more comfortable, but unfortunately I had a high flare on a no wind day so the CI/DZO upsized me for the time being :)

When you are using student gear you are somewhat limited as to what you can do gear wise. However you can mitigate the hard openings by making sure the leg straps are very tight and positioned as high on the thigh as possible. Just before exit give the leg straps a little tug up into the crotch; they end up there anyway but it is far better if they don't move there under tension.

Another inexperienced poster here. ; )

If possible (watch out for ego!) see if you can get your packer to roll the tail a little (lot!) more, that may help slow down your openings. I've started packing my own rigs recently (hurt my thumb in a batting cage so had to stop again) and this is the way I've been told to slow down openings. This is of course given that you have your slider up against the stops at all times.

Seek advice from someone you trust (AFFI) about how to resolve the issue, it may be that the student packer is lazy and/or doesn't care or that there's a problem with the equipment.

Again, just a newb here too, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

When you are using student gear you are somewhat limited as to what you can do gear wise. However you can mitigate the hard openings by making sure the leg straps are very tight and positioned as high on the thigh as possible. Just before exit give the leg straps a little tug up into the crotch; they end up there anyway but it is far better if they don't move there under tension.

I second this. My experience was the same as yours, and this did help. It still hurt, but not as bad. Once I got my own gear the problem went away.
But what do I know?

THANK YOU!!!

Opening shock is the worst thing about skydiving for me... the 230 I'm flying at the moment doesn't evens snivel the slightest, combined with the uncomfortable student harnesses...

Everytime I throw the PC, I count it out... 1000, 2000... BAM!!!! This thing opens in like 100 - 200ft max.

2 jumps and I'm nice and sore the next few days.

I did jump a new rental 210 once that was 100x more comfortable, but unfortunately I had a high flare on a no wind day so the CI/DZO upsized me for the time being :)

Your canopy may 'feel' like it is opening in 100-200 feet but I am rather sure that it will be much longer than that...
Hopefully a more experienced jumper will chime in with an accurate estimate.

A 100 feet till full opening from terminal would give you a very sore neck at best...

Your canopy may 'feel' like it is opening in 100-200 feet but I am rather sure that it will be much longer than that...
Hopefully a more experienced jumper will chime in with an accurate estimate.

A 100 feet till full opening from terminal would give you a very sore neck at best...

I don't know, sometimes they really do open very very fast. I had a one second opening on a 150 which I seriously thought for a few seconds had broken my neck. Happily it was just sore for a week or so...B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.