freeflysurf500

Domestic (portable) sewing machine recommendation please

Hello

I would like to buy a domestic (portable) sewing machine.
I use only straight and zig zag
I sew mostly jeans. 5 pieces thick.
I use a 18 needle and heavy thread.
I use a special purpose or satin foot sometimes
I don't want a industrial machine.
The older machines sew thicker material no problem but with machines made in china or low end machines made these days , I haven't had much luck
I find the cheaper end sewing machine go out of timing when I try to sew something thicker.
Or they will drop stitches ...
Does that make sense or perhaps I am using a too cheap machine.

So could you recommend a domestic machine that is affordable $ 300 +

Regards

Someone is selling a Pfaff 130 in the classifieds. That would work. I think $250 is a little steeper price than I would pay. Then again Im a cheap ass and am just lucky at finding things like this dirt cheap. Just like my buddy who got a Singer 7-34 in mint condition for $150.

Hi Mark,

This one is simple..

I was going to suggest the 401A to her ( or the 500A that I currently use ) but she did say 'portable.'

Given that, it seems as though it might depend upon one's definition of portable. :P

Both of those Singers are very good household caliber sewing machines.

Neither are very easy to find but if you do find one: Buy it; if you don't want it then sell it to your local newbie rigger. B|

JerryBaumchen

While we are talking sewing machines, I bought a Husqvarna in 1974 for about a grand. It was a wonderful machine, I made every wedding dress, every curtain, every one of Streakers suits for years. I had it cleaned and checked over a number of years back, and it SUCKS now! The little metal feeder under the presser foot remains in a stuck down position, like you would find it in if it were supposed to be sewing in reverse.
Anybody have a suggestion how, or who to fix it? I loved this machine, but perhaps it is just too old to consider fixing.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I still use my PFAFF stretch jeans that I paid 950,00 CAD 10 years ago, they use real metal gear and a strong motor. I did a lot of rigging work on the field and never broke on me. Very tough machine and easy to set up. Never brought it to get it fixed , only routine maintenance.

While we are talking sewing machines, I bought a Husqvarna in 1974 . I had it cleaned and checked over a number of years back, and it SUCKS now! The little metal feeder under the presser foot remains in a stuck down position, like you would find it in if it were supposed to be sewing in reverse.
Anybody have a suggestion how, or who to fix it? I loved this machine, but perhaps it is just too old to consider fixing.

Sounds like you took it to wrong technician.

That feed dog problem might be as simple as a loose screw.
That bad a malfunction should be fixed under warranty.

Start by cleaning all the lint and broken threads out from under the feed dogs.
Tighten all the screws and sew a sample.

The second step involves removing the feed dogs, cleaning them further and inspecting them under a magnifying glass.
If the feed dogs are cracked or badly worn, they need to be replaced and the best place to find replacement feed dogs is your local Husqvarna dealer.
The Husqvarna dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for new feed dogs, but ho hum!

While you are there, as a Husqvarna factory trained mechanic to reassemble and adjust your machine.
A profesisonal clean and adjust every few years dramatically extends the life of sewing machines.

a few years back, when I was at full speed building BASE gear I had 10 machines on the production line. One day with a stack of orders waiting to be filled, 2 machines went down. Not knowing any better and needing those machines running to fill my orders, I called a Pro to come and have a look. While he was there, I had him take a look at all my other machines just to be on the safe side. When all was said and done, he hit me with a $1800.00 bill. Granted, everything ran smooth....for a while.
Soon there after, 2 more machines went down. Unable and unwilling to pay that kind of price tag again, I looked for and found a sewing machine repair school to attend.
While in school, I asked my instructor why machines go down. My instructor said, "there is no reason a well timed and tight machine should ever fall out of time barring extraordinarily rough handling by and inexperienced operator." He went on to say that "the reason machines go down is because mechanics typically leave machines only tight enough to work for a short time there by ensuring they have future work retuning your machines".
I got home from school and went through all my machines. Sure enough, I found lots of problems just waiting to happen.
I gave all of my machines a top to bottom inspection and tune up and to this day, 9 years later, not one of my machines has fallen out of time even with all the hard and frequent use they get in my shop.
The moral to this story is don't trust mechanics. Yearly maintenance by a pro will cost you more than you should be paying.Learn what you need to know and save your self the headache and the money

thanks for the advice and help. As I said, I loved this machine, and built lots of good stuff on it. I was really frustrated that when I took care of it myself, it ran very well, but when I took it to a "qualified" technician, it never ran again. I'll look for a new feeddog, I had cleaned all the gook out from under it long ago, so that wasn't the issue.
I am really looking forward to it being up and running again soon!
Beth
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

i manufactured two kit canopies on a Pfaff 230.
It pulled e-thread all day long and was great for simple repairs like replacing Velcro.
However, it was not strong enough to sew through multiple layers of reinforcing tapes on Para-Flite canopies.
IOW If a Pfaff 230 will not do the repair, you probably should ask a Master Rigger or mail it back to the factory.