awagnon

Audible question

I have a simple newbe question that I could ask someone at the DZ next spring, but I can't wait. Also, I've tried searching for the answer. I'm thinking about asking Mrs. Santa for an audible altimeter for Christmas to backup my wrist mount. My question: Do the audibles still sound their alarms if you open above the various alarm altitudes? Or do they sense the fall rate and silence the alarms? Thanks in advance for answering.
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

FF alarms only sound when you are free falling past your set FF alarm altitudes. So if you under canopy before passing them they will not sound.

Not true. It depends on the canopy speed. It's pretty common, at least in my experience, and for larger sizes than you would think.

I guess I didnt take smaller faster canopies into consideration. But never the less. the audible alarm is sounding because it thinks you are in a freefall situation(high vertical speed) is it not?

The audible isnt supposed to sound as you pass your preset freefall altitudes(should you pull above them) while flying around casually.

Read the manuals for the audibles you are interested in. My ProDytter sounds the first two alarms if the descent rate exceeds 13m/s and sounds the third alarm if the descent rate exceeds 29m/s. That's roughly 30 mph and 65mph, respectively. Even normal canopy maneuvers on a relatively lightly loaded canopy can easily set off the first two alarms.

+1

My 170 isn't a small canopy but I can get the first 2 alarms to go off pretty easily under it. I dont remember ever hearing the 3rd under canopy besides on a weird hnp when it went off as I was sniveling 2000 ft above that designated altitude [:/]

I have a Pro Trac and Pro Dytter btw.

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

The Pro Track will sound the first two free fall alarms while under canopy as you descend through the preset altitudes, as in a high altitude Hop n pop. It will also sound the first two alarms while descending in the aircraft. I don't hear the third alarm unless I'm in free fall or on rare occasions during a swoop.