mindcool

Weirdest Malfunction ever - packing mistake?

• leave at least 50cm between the links and the last line stow

• Leave NO MORE THAN 50 cm!!!
    Longer "free" lines = bigger chance of horse shoe:S

Blue skies

Huh? How do longer free lines(stowed in a closed container) add to the chances of a horse shoe? Am I missing something?

The lines are very chaotic on deployment and longer lines have a greater chance of catching on a main flap. I've personally seen a fatality due to this. Bill Booth did some interesting work on this including slow motion video of deployments, with the lines flying about. The Vector manual specifically states "Leave no more than 15 inches (37 cm) of lines unstowed between the bag and the connector links." There IS a reason for this!

I understand all that but when I think of horse shoe malfunction, I think of the container opening while the pilot chute is still stowed.

A direct quote from the 2009 USPA SIM (5-1, E):

"horseshoe (the container is open but the parachute is not properly deployed because something is snagged on the system),"

By this definition the lines entagling with a slider stowage device or even the main container flaps would be a "horseshoe".
    The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I understand all that but when I think of horse shoe malfunction, I think of the container opening while the pilot chute is still stowed.

That's only one, very specific type of Horseshoe malfunction.

The OP experienced a different type.

You may have a bridle or suspension lines wrapped on you...that's another type.

...it sucks, but yes, there are others.

For the life of me, I just don't understand why anyone other than high performance, competitive swoopers would even consider these gadgets. The drag reduction is so minimal as to be almost negligible.

Looking cool is half of being cool????

Who defined slider-behind-the-head as being "cool" anyway?
    My reality and yours are quite different.
    I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
    Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I can feel the difference in the way my canopy flies (increased dihedral effect I believe) when I pull my slider down... it is not an issue of drag, but the amount of distance the risers can spread.

Without something to hold the slider down it greatly reduces my visibility...

so it's not fashion anyways:S

Full disclose: I use the magnetic skytie with a custom designed attachment from Mike G.

"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

slider-behind-the-head don´t interfere with your hands when you reach out (blindly) to take front or rear risers.

I have over 300 jumps with this self made slider catcher. rubber-tube knotted with wax-cord on front riser. no glue, no sewing machine, easy to remove/replace without damaging the riser.

how does that attach to the riser? I'm not very familiar with wax-cord.

it's not my setup, but it looks like the wax cord is punched through the webbing of the riser and knotted so as to hold the rubber tube which provides just enough resistance to keep the slider grommet under it. Seems like a reasonable solution actually......
    www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

it's not my setup, but it looks like the wax cord is punched through the webbing of the riser and knotted so as to hold the rubber tube which provides just enough resistance to keep the slider grommet under it. Seems like a reasonable solution actually......

Its even bulkier than slocks. Slocks are the best I used so far.

I have over 300 jumps with this self made slider catcher. rubber-tube knotted with wax-cord on front riser. no glue, no sewing machine, easy to remove/replace without damaging the riser.

Excuse me, but punching six big holes in each riser is not "without damaging the riser".

I can feel the difference in the way my canopy flies (increased dihedral effect I believe) when I pull my slider down... it is not an issue of drag, but the amount of distance the risers can spread.

So does this make your canopy piloting any easier or safer by securing that slider with your ball and chain bungie?

Do you also loosen or remove your chest strap?

Mo' better than a collapsible slider?

I did notice your avatar though....:D:D:D
    My reality and yours are quite different.
    I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
    Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Excuse me, but punching six big holes in each riser is not "without damaging the riser".

I disagree. One could easily separate the threads of the webbing and push the cording through without damaging the thread at all. This does not weaken the structural integrity of the webbing at all and could be removed with no trace if done properly.
    www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

So does this make your canopy piloting any easier or safer by securing that slider with your ball and chain bungie?
    I feel that it gives me better glide and flair, so I would consider that safer... but I also stated I'm not talking about a "ball and chain"

Do you also loosen or remove your chest strap?
    I loosen it as much as possible, Is this also an issue?

Mo' better than a collapsible slider?
    I always collapse my slider. Even when it is collapsed, it is a major obstruction to my view when pulled down with out something to pull the middle.

I did notice your avatar though....:D:D:D
    ? If you are referring to my slider not being stowed it is for the vision reason I mentioned earlier. This picture was taken before Mike G and I worked out a custom solution. The only other option was a removable slider.

I haven't been out to the farm since Halloween, so I'm due for a trip. I'll show you the custom design then if you like?

"Damn you Gravity, you win again"