skykatherine

Cypres vs Vigil

I'm in the market for a new AAD and I can't decide between a new Cypres 2 or a Vigil 2.

I previously owned a Cypres and had it for its entire life from new. Never had it fire but I did have complete trust and faith in its capabilities and reputation. However, the current battery life / unit life and cost of a Cypres 2 make it less attractive compared to the Vigil's likewise benefits. I'm not that familiar with the Vigil's cons vs pros.

Anyone have any light to shed on which unit is the best for the price, 'effectiveness', reputation and longevity?

Vigil:

- No Life Limit

- No 4 Year Maintenance Service requirement

- New 10 Year estimated Battery Life

Vigil faire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lehGkRCFXY = a common occurrence??

Cypres:

- battery good for 4 years?? (Cypres website states: "No need for you to replace a battery. Ever. http://www.CYPRES-2.com/best_of_C2_usd.pdf"

- It is waterproof for 15 minutes down to 15 feet.

- is extremely accurate

- needs maintenance every 4 years (ugh)

- life of 12 years

- more expensive than a Vigil!

I think you will find thousands of posts on threads like this. Each will fire when it's set of firing criteria is met. In the past there were some firings on the vigils but there have been firings on cypres too.

I have found that the Vigil folk seem to be a little more public about any problems with their product and the corrections to those problems.

At the end of the day both products will work as well as can be expected of a complicated electronic device but it's you, the user who has to be comfortable with what's on your back so why not do some research about each product and give each manufacturer a call and see what you prefer?

-Michael

I have found that the Vigil folk seem to be a little more public about any problems with their product and the corrections to those problems.

Really? I perceived the opposite. Although I'll give you that Vigil has had more opportunities to make public announcements about it's products shortcomings. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Really? I perceived the opposite. Although I'll give you that Vigil has had more opportunities to make public announcements about it's products shortcomings. ;)

If you have only been in the sport 6 years that may seem to be the case, but airtec has a history of denying problems. Of course before the widespread use of internet, problems could be kept more contained so not as many people know about them as now. But even in recent years people have been told they pulled too low, their unit has no problem, etc, while there was proof to the contrary, and in one case they sent a letter that the unit was fine after checking so the skydiver must have pulled too low WHEN THEY HADN'T EVEN CHECKED THAT CYPRES YET BECAUSE IT WAS STILL IN THE RIG AT THE DZ.

OK vigil may have its share of problems, but at least they admit it and don't seem to blatantly LIE about it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If you have only been in the sport 6 years

Or 8 years :D

>OK vigil may have its share of problems, but at least they admit
>it and don't seem to blatantly LIE about it.

That did not seem to be the case at at least one PIA I went to. (The topic was the damage to closing loops due to failed plastic inserts in their cutters.)

If you have only been in the sport 6 years

Or 8 years :D

LOL. Oh, I got my bucket of popcorn early on in this thread! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

SO a vigil uni is going to outlast my television life without a service is it?

I am going to buy a Vigil and a television. Lets see what ones lasts longer without needing a service.
I dont trust my television with my life though.

the vigil 2 is great, I just HATE that bullshit 20 year no service thing. I mean has even a protype been around for 20 years? How would they know it will last 20 years in a rig without a service?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

>OK vigil may have its share of problems, but at least they admit
>it and don't seem to blatantly LIE about it.

That did not seem to be the case at at least one PIA I went to. (The topic was the damage to closing loops due to failed plastic inserts in their cutters.)

Oh well, guess that's why I jump Argus :S:|:P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

SO a vigil uni is going to outlast my television life without a service is it?

I am going to buy a Vigil and a television. Lets see what ones lasts longer without needing a service.
I dont trust my television with my life though.

the vigil 2 is great, I just HATE that bullshit 20 year no service thing. I mean has even a protype been around for 20 years? How would they know it will last 20 years in a rig without a service?

The Vigil will tell you (CONTROL ERROR 1, 2, 3, or 4) when it needs to be sent in for service. It is good for you to use until it isn't, but Vigil doesn't turn into a paperweight at an arbitrary date (12 years).

Mark Klingelhoefer

There is a slight chance that an AAD unit like cypress or vigil consist of more than just one microprocessor.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

>And what service or checks can be made for the microcontroller
>MC68HC711E9CFN2 ?

RAM bit test
FLASH parity test
FLASH Vdd margining test
A/D linearity and absolute accuracy

The bigger tests are on the pressure sensor and the analog front end. Pressure sensors are notoriously prone to drift with time.

The best part about 4 year mandatory service is that you can quietly switch out a board or reflash the unit if a problem was found and nobody ever has to know.

One other point about vigil, the 4 year maintenance is not required but if you opt to you can definitely send it in for maintenance the same as a cypres.

-Michael

RAM bit test
FLASH parity test
FLASH Vdd margining test
A/D linearity and absolute accuracy

All these checks will ensure correct operation of the device for 4 years ;)
Given that the processor (for verification of which you speak) need to extract from its sealed, filled with a special compound boxes.

The bigger tests are on the pressure sensor and the analog front end. Pressure sensors are notoriously prone to drift with time.

With Vigil is working correctly pressure sensor can be checked at every turn.