skymama

Hurricane Ivan

That looks about accurate. Hurricanes always head for the highest concentration of mental illness.:P

That is 100% incorrect - they have no hurricanes in California.:o

California has lawyers, Florida has hurricanes. I guess we got first choice. :)

I've dealt with a lot of hurricanes and I always had my house afterwards. I can't say that for lawyers.
;)

That looks about accurate. Hurricanes always head for the highest concentration of mental illness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is 100% incorrect - they have no hurricanes in California

Uh.... ACTUALLLLLLY there are plenty of Hurricanes that form off of the west coast of Central America...and if the steering currents head them north, California can and has gotten hit with their remnants. But normally they track off to the west or they die down as soon as they hit the cold waters that head south along the west coast of the US.
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/whpacg.htm

Since winds over the tropics around the globe blow generally from east to west, storms that form over the warm Pacific off the Central American and Mexican coasts are generally pushed toward the west. Some storms do turn toward the north to hit the Mexican Coast. Cold ocean water off the California Coast weakens storms that make it that far north.

Even though the storms die before reaching the USA, the remnants can bring heavy rain to California, the Southwest and sometimes to places as far east as Oklahoma.

From time to time winds above 75 mph hit the Pacific Coast, especially the Northwest Coast. While these are "hurricane force" winds, they are not from hurricanes, but from strong extratropical storms.

One famous case was the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 that hit northern California, Oregon and Washington. It caused more than 50 deaths and had winds as high as 119 mph in Portland. When it hit the West Coast, this storm was extratropical, but began as Typhoon Frieda nine days earlier near Wake Island in the western Pacific.

I have spent quite a few stormy days and long windy nights at the Oregon or Washington Coast.. on my boat during "hurricane force winds" making sure my boat and others were not chafing the dock lines... and have been thru 100+ winds there more times than I would like to remember. The one great thing we have going for us out here though is its not flat like FLorida, south Florida has two high spots less than 20' above sea level on either side with a huge flowing river of water and grass from Lake O all the way south to Florida Bay/ the Keys... and since we are used to normal tides in the 8 ft range and spring tides of 10 to 11 ft... all the coastal regions are used to high water from storms and marinas here are built to withstand the bad weather while the normal tides in FL are only a couple ft..... and its flat so when the storm surge comes flooding happens far more easily causing severe damage.

I think more bad weather is attracted to all the aluminum in all the manufactured homes/trailers... they attract hurricanes... and tornados:o

Ever notice all the bad weather always seems to head towards concentrations of those??

Ha... Andrea, that projected path pic is funny - sums up how a lot of us are feeling here in DeLand.

Vigil USA's power is still down so I've taken my PC and paperwork over to RWS to finally get some work done. (Umm... yeah, and soak up the air conditioning.) They seem to be back to business as normal here but the plastic crates are all standing by for repacking. I hope someone posts pics of DeLand after Frances... you won't believe what a mess it is. 2 Cessnas at the airport (not the DZs) were still sitting upside down yesterday. A bunch of local jumpers here had trees crashed in to their cars and houses.

PD's production floor is buzzing right now but the non-production staff is resorting to sending smoke signals as way of communication due to no phone lines or internet connection. If anyone's calling them, they can't answer their phones, emails and thier voice mail service is down (last time I checked).

Was at Sun Path yesterday. They have soggy carpets in some offices but other than that they're looking good. Shit, I know they've got to be worrying about Ivan. At this point, it's on a track close to Zhills.

Coming from So Cal, I think it's pretty cool to be able to prepare days a head of time for a natural disaster. Although, I know everyone in Fla is hoping and praying (maybe even sacrificing small farm animals) that Ivan somehow misses us. I'm hoping it does or I might need to check myself in to a Betty Ford sugar-addiction clinic. It's amazing how much junk food one person can eat during times of crisis and sheer boredom.

~Kim Griffin
Vigil USA

Saw a interesting blurb on T.V. last night about all the folks moving to Florida:S. Estimates are 1000 new residents a day.:S. showed lots of housing construction.

I can think of a way to curb it...no federal assistance for weather damage to any homes or businesses that are constructed after the end of this year. If a person/business wants to move to Florida, they're free to, but the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for their decision if the weather gods smite them. Oh, and no federal bailouts of insurance companies that find themselves teetering on the precipice of bankruptcy due to weather claims either.

Blues,
Dave

Hi Dave

Good point bad timing. The Governor of florida has the same DNA as the President of the US, and this is a election yr. So we'llcontinue to help out the folks in Florida because it's the right thing to do.

The gov't moves very slow and has lots of things to consider. But the insurance industry has investor and policy holders that they have to keep happy.

If home nsurance premiums gets to high due to the masive number of claims from this hurrican season, people won't be able to afford to rebuild or even buy a home without affordable ins.

In Wa state, earthquake Ins is extremely high (unaffordable) even with a goofy deductiable like $20K+, and the chance of the "big one is....... a lot less than a Huricane hitting florida.

After the insurance companies in florida calculate their losses watch out. the cost of living & jumping in paradice just went up.:(

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

sigh. my boss sees no need to start thinking about evacuation for our 90+ residents. SHe thinks that the staff will be perfectly safe in a cat 4-5 storm driving into work and staying in a building that is way overdue for a new roof, surrounded by trees, and not boarded up. She claims that tying the doors shut will be fine. This roof lost some shingles in the weak outskirts of Charlie. It will pop off in Ivan, like a champagne cork. I lvoe the residents and want them to be evacuated to safer places if this comes through, but also am not putting myself in danger if powers higher up think irrationally.

anyone know any emplyment or safety laws? I'm going to have to tell her I'm leaving the area if ths hits at our AM meeting tomorrow. Hopefully, I won't lose my job.

Also, I haven't been able to get renters insurance since moving to Sarasota. NO one is writing policies due to the storm. If my condo floods or gets trashed, I Lose everything.

Ivan, please go somewhere else. [:/]

__

A employer cannot force you into an unhealthy or dangerous situation...esp if evacuation orders are coming in.

You might be lucky, but it would mean trouble for the east coast again...its starting to look like Ivan may make a sharp right hand turn at the Keys. Still, as a Cat 5 this thing just leveled all of Granada and was the worse storm in over a decade. Somehow I don't think a chain around the doors will keep this storm out. A simple palm tree fell thru a roof and killed a 23 year old pregnant woman in her bed when the storm hit today. It doesn't take much in this type of storm to kill people. Let's just hope that Ivan makes a very sharp turn and misses all of FL.

Want some advice? Call the insurance company. Have a representative tell the boss, "Um, dumbass, you get deaths and/or injuries from this storm, we won't cover you."

Then call the police and say, "My boss won't evacuate the staff or our 90+ residents, and I don't want their family members reading about all those deaths in our town."

Either should work just fine.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Last I heard, Greneda had 90% of it's buildings damaged, but more information is not yet available.

Jamaica is getting walloped right now. Something along the lines of 2 story high waves, which is decimating the coast (and isn't Jamaica mostly coast?)

If you guys can leave, do so. If not, hold on really tight. Wind speeds are at 150 sustained.

Stacy, do what Lawrocket suggested. And then report them to the people who are in charge at the State level.

Geesh, I feel bad for everyone out there. Hang in, vibes being sent, and prayers said for all.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

High end winds are toppin out close to 190 again...sustained at 150 even while going over a small little mountain island. Life threatening winds extend out 60 miles from the eye, damaging winds another 70 miles from that.

However I doubt that many Floridians on the west coast will get away from it, border up windows, etc. Too many years of gentle hurricane seasons have them complacent.

I feel really bad for Grenada and, especially, Jamaica right now. That is one mean damn storm. Figures that it would re-organize right before slamming the little island.

I don't pray much, but I prayed for them. Seriously, I saw a picture of a Jamaican man trying to secure his tin sheet roof with rocks and bricks. I really hope they all stay safe and alive.

As for Florida, what a bum deal. Everyone is watching Ivan, no one really knows where it's going to land, the models keep changing with every update. The school won't close for now, where do you run from this big guy?

I don't know if people are being complacent, but I do know that myself and a lot of my friends are just tired of hearing about the "cone" and the "line" and shear. I think we all know just a little more than we ever wanted to about the steering currents and the probabilities and just want it to hurry the hell up and move on by so life can go back to normal.

It's enough stress for this little state for one six week period.

I love the sun-sentinel's coverage of Ivan. It includes the tracking map, strike probabilities, forecast, discussion, computer models, and tips on how to prepare for the impending storm. Check it out!
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Hell two or three inches shuts things down for two or three days. Twenty four would cripple that state as bad as W did. :)

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

You are talking about 95% of the population of the alley then. Most of those with protection down here at the south end are from out of town. It is like anyting else, it has to hit home first or be so scary that you freak just thinking about it. I have lived in various parts of the alley for most of my life and never seen a tornado yet many have been very near. I have interior closets and bathrooms, why do I need a secial shelter?

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Head for the Green Parrot Bar. It will survive! See the keys on your hands and knees. Key West a sunny place for shady people.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Latest track is here

Slamming Jamiaca now. But what I have heard is they really are not sure what will happen after it crosses Cuba. Could go west or continue north

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Looks like you guys on the east coast are out of the woods now.

we're getting further away from the middle with each forecast. let's keep it that way. I went to home depot yesterdya and all I could get my hands on was sand for sandags.

__

I just read that as well. Gusts over 200 again and a whole lotta Gulf waters to travel over after it hits Cuba.

Now the question is - does it hit FL or does it hit the Gulf coast up in the panhandle?? What a goofy group of storms.

I just read that as well. Gusts over 200 again and a whole lotta Gulf waters to travel over after it hits Cuba.

Now the question is - does it hit FL or does it hit the Gulf coast up in the panhandle?? What a goofy group of storms.

It's predicted to cross Tallahassee going north. I think it's gonna go up the Gulf, get pushed east and make landfall just south of there and move northeast toward Savannah.

Bet ya a nickel :)

Michael