skymama

Hurricane Ivan

New report...The Keys are already under an evacuation order. [:/]

There is a sea wall near the airport that is about 18 inches higher than high tide. A little breeze and the waves splash over it.

Most of the Keys have an elevation of about 2 (in feet). A 6-foot storm surge will pass right over them. It's been a while, but it has happened before.

New report...The Keys are already under an evacuation order. [:/]

Wow...I was really bummed out when my position in the Keys fell though, but the last couple weeks have made me think I'm a pretty lucky guy for having stalled in Atlanta for a few months.

I don't know what my poor mother would have done. She was elated to see me leave NYC. Can't imagine if I was sitting through a bunch of hurricanes.

Edited because I can't spell.
Killing threads since 2004.

I get to be one this year. Wow, not sure if that is a compliment or not but I guess they ran out of cool names.

You've been one already! You weren't big or strong - but that just makes you easy to carry around. The names repeat every 6 years (so you could be again in 2010) unless they do really big damage, then the name is retired. Here you were in 1998 - Hurricane Lisa
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

They get both tornados and hurricanes in FL. We only get a tropical depression every 10 years or so, and tornados. They think the damage to Lake Wales may have been caused by a tornado spawned from Charley.

In 31 years I think I have seen 3 full tornados and about 6 funnel clouds. I have seen countless storms that caused tornados well outside my neighborhood. If you don't live near a river you usually don't have a chance of a flood, or if you live in an area where Mayor Daley decided to plug up the drains. Even with all that, this past month in Florida has seen wose weather than I have seen my entire life in Chicago.

The last major fire we had here was before the advent of the skyscraper, no mudslides, and earthquakes that haven't gone above a 4 in a generation.

Ok, so it gets cold and we get a bunch of snow. Six hours after the last blizzard I was able to get around all of the major streets and side streets. Cold jumps are fun due to light loads and swooping snow is a good time. Also, when it is cold it gives you an excuse to stay inside and invent some fun with a loved one! It's the midwest - it gets cold. You learn to deal with it! Hell, I hate our traffic problems more than the cold.

I would like to live someplace where the seasons actually change. I like looking at and being surrounded by mountains and big, full trees

Sounds perfect. Oh wait, I live in that place:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hi Mama

Ivans projected path that you posted looks goofy, straight as a arrow until it get off the florida coast then gets confused:|. No wonder it's hard to predict where and when.

Saw a interesting blurb on T.V. last night about all the folks moving to Florida:S. Estimates are 1000 new residents a day.:S. showed lots of housing construction.

Good luck

R.I.P.

Sounds perfect. Oh wait, I live in that place In fact I'm so going to enjoy the mountains by loading up the dogs and leaving tomorrow on a backpacking trip. God I love living here.

My youngest will be going off to college in 5 years. Get the spare room ready for me. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You'll have to promise to keep up with me. Between the snowboarding, rock climbing, and backpack trips, we won't be home much:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Between the snowboarding, rock climbing, and backpack trips, we won't be home much

Oh darn, that's such a horrible, horrible life to lead. Add on top of that all the boogies and traveling that you do. Sigh...ok, I'll do it if I must. :ph34r:
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

In fact I'm so going to enjoy the mountains by loading up the dogs and leaving tomorrow on a backpacking trip. God I love living here

Ok im officially jealous! :ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Pays to have grown boys;)

Renee, jump on a plane and join me. Believe it or not, I really do need this break. Kind of a re-charge thing for me.

Estimates are 1000 new residents a day.

When my family moved there in '86 there were 1000 cars per day moving into the state of FL. Some counties actually banned any new construction. You'd think the weather would detur some people. Imagine the growth rate if there were no hurricanes!

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I would love to!...and I might have to do that one of these weekends this fall...and again in the winter. this weekend...I dont think I can find a flight for 0.93 :S
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Saw a interesting blurb on T.V. last night about all the folks moving to Florida:S. Estimates are 1000 new residents a day.:S. showed lots of housing construction.

I can think of a way to curb it...no federal assistance for weather damage to any homes or businesses that are constructed after the end of this year. If a person/business wants to move to Florida, they're free to, but the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for their decision if the weather gods smite them. Oh, and no federal bailouts of insurance companies that find themselves teetering on the precipice of bankruptcy due to weather claims either.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I can think of a way to curb it...no federal assistance for weather damage to any homes or businesses that are constructed after the end of this year. If a person/business wants to move to Florida, they're free to, but the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for their decision if the weather gods smite them. Oh, and no federal bailouts of insurance companies that find themselves teetering on the precipice of bankruptcy due to weather claims either.

Oh, yeah. That'll happen in a modern corporate welfare state. Sure. ;)

The only bright spot for the poor folks in FLA (including my sister who moved there two months ago!) is that Ivan will hit cuba first and it's likely to be weakened significantly by that.

Latest forecast track for Ivan

Good luck, folks. I hope this doesn't delay the arrival of my new canopy. I think Aerodyne actually does manufacturing in South Africa though, and not Florida, right? :P
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Hey, my rig was done at the WFFC (I jumped it twice). It went back for some, um, cosmetic tweaks. ;)
Problem i;)s, my main and reserve from my old rig were packed into it in Rantoul....and I could really use a jump on my gear soon. [:/]

Here's to hoping everything turns out ok, both for those in Florida, and those waiting for items to come out of Florida.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

The climate mostly. It's so depressing to me to have the heat and humidity start in March and not end until November***

Try living in constant cold for 27 years...
And a good summer consists of 3 weeks of not raining. After that I will never complain about the heat and the humidity. I do but that is not the point :$
Skydivers are a bunch of insensitive jerks...
And that's why I don't skydive anymore!

Try living in constant cold for 27 years...

Well, I don't think I could do that, I've been a southern girl my whole life. I'd like a happy medium, someplace like North Carolina, for example.

That looks about accurate. Hurricanes always head for the highest concentration of mental illness.:P

That is 100% incorrect - they have no hurricanes in California.:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun