alanab

where in COLORADO??

ok, so i'm in my 5th year of college at ohio university. i have always wanted and dreamed of living in colorado. i have been out there many times to snowboard and visit family.
i am wanting to get opinions from those of you who have been to or lived/live in colorado of what the best cities might be to move to after i graduate.
i will be needing a cheaper place to live, looking for a well paying job in my field (visual communications- dealing with graphics and design and layout).
i will want to be close enough to both skydiving and the mountains for good snow. i dont want it to be cold all the time. i would love to live in a beautiful city too!
what is the skydiving like out there? how many months of the year can you jump?
this is a serious post and i will take any comments into consideration when job hunting.
this is truely my deam to live in colorado and i cant wait!!
please help me out:)
thanks in advance!

wheni lived in colorado springs i found a nice small apt for 400 a month, but then again it was only like 400sq.ft., iliked the vibe the town put off and skydive the rockies was maybe 1.5 hours away if that.. more like 1 hour........ the view thereis great as are the people... as for skiing (i prefer boarding) never went boarding in colorado justhere in utah... but i bet denver is alot closer that the sprng to skiing........ besides germany i wouldhave to say i have had the best time in colorado..... as for how long can ya jump... well year round if ya want to brave the cold.... heck it's notmuch diffrent weather there in CO than here in UT and we jump year round...... but... rememebr..... you are also gona be jumping at no less than a 5k MSL field elevationthee to.. it's gona be much faster than in ohio or eloy....

i will be needing a cheaper place to live, looking for a well paying job in my field (visual communications- dealing with graphics and design and layout).

Well that sounds like a job that will have you living either in Denver, or in the out-skirts. Plan on paying about $1000 a month if you live in Denver, a little cheaper if you are in Arvada, Golden, or any of the cities on the out skirts. Boulder will be about $1,500. More north or south of Denver, you could pay about $500-$800, depending on how long you want to drive on I-25 to get to work. But with T-Rex almost done, it's getting better.

i will want to be close enough to both skydiving and the mountains for good snow. i dont want it to be cold all the time. i would love to live in a beautiful city too!

You'll learn to dress for the cold.

Again, there are different places to live, but if you are close to the mountains, like Boulder, then plan on paying for that. If you want to go deeper into the mountains, like Breck, Vail, or Steamboat, then you got a drive for skydiving.

Oh no, not going to touch that one. If you want my opinion, then drop me a PM.

Good luck, and keep in touch, you are welcome to stay with me till you find a decent place.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i will be needing a cheaper place to live

My place downtown before I moved was $450 a month plus utils. Secure building, one parking spot. not the greatest neighborhood, but it was a fun place to live.

You'll learn to dress for the cold.

it's a different kind of cold. The air doesn't have the moisture in it that other places do in the winter that make it unbearable. It will get cold, but it's also one of the better places to jump in the winter months for the places that get snow.

***Oh no, not going to touch that one. If you want my opinion, then drop me a PM.

Mar-Go ahead and ruffle a few feathers if you will. I know you like too... ;)
Anyway.
Colorado Springs Best Bets:
Skydive the Rockies - No opinion, never been there.
Front Range - suspended operations
indefinitely according to their website
Skips place - Not sure of the 'official' DZ name. Avoid this place like the plague. Details, PM me or do a search for Skip Morreau (sp?) in incidents.

Denver Best Bets:
Denver Skydivers - King Air, decent boogies and a good time. Downside is the drive - 90+ minutes from downtown Denver.
Mile Hi - 40 minutes door to door from where I lived downtown Denver. King Air and an Otter being rebuilt in one of the hangars. It will fly, it will fly...someday. Mile Hi does a lot of student business and has higher operating costs due to their location (Boulder county has one of the highest tax rates in the area). Right now, the landing area is on the opposite side of the runway as the hangars, but ground should be broken in the spring for the new hangar on the same side as the runway. More fun things are also involved with the ground breaking but I'm not at liberty to disclose.
-----
~~~Michael

Since I live here, I've got to say it: If you like free fresh beer, Golden is the place. Coors Lab is a regular occurance. ;) Relatively decent living costs, decent town. 30 minute drive from Milehi., have yet to go to any other local DZ's.
So yah, enjoy it all. :P

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Ok here's the low down dude...

Colorado in all actuallity kind of sucks. The thought of living here is a lot cooler than actually living here. Let me count the reasons why:
1. Wing nut talked about $400, maybee if you lived in a shanty behind one of the steel mills in Pueblo... The real estate market in Colorado Springs sucks right now. There's a lot of new construction but not as many buyers right now.
2. Look at coloradospringshelpwanted.com, and see what you have for options in the work enviroment. I just got out of the military after 8 years. I don't have a degree, nor do I have any engineering or space experience. If you are a Satellite controller or an engineer then you can get a job here, if not, then start practicing making sandwitches for subway.
3. Temperature... Not to bad, but it does get cold from time to time. Doing RW with your warmies on and looking like the Michelin man is cool for about 1 jump. And when it's not cold just wait for it to get hot and the atmosphere to get even thinner, and for your canopy to quit flying at a very high airspeed. It's like every jump is downwinder, and your canopy acts a size smaller.
4. STAY AWAY FROM SKIP's PLACE!!! If you value your life DO NOT JUMP AT HIGH SKY ADVENTURES!!!!
STAY AWAY FROM SKIP's PLACE!!! If you value your life DO NOT JUMP AT HIGH SKY ADVENTURES!!!!STAY AWAY FROM SKIP's PLACE!!! If you value your life DO NOT JUMP AT HIGH SKY ADVENTURES!!!!STAY AWAY FROM SKIP's PLACE!!! If you value your life DO NOT JUMP AT HIGH SKY ADVENTURES!!!!STAY AWAY FROM SKIP's PLACE!!! If you value your life DO NOT JUMP AT HIGH SKY ADVENTURES!!!!STAY AWAY FROM SKIP's PLACE!!! If you value your lifeSTAY AWAY FROM SKIP's PLACE!!! If you value your life DO NOT JUMP AT HIGH SKY ADVENTURES!!!!
DO NOT JUMP AT HIGH SKY ADVENTURES!!!!
Are you getting the hint!!!
Skydive the Rockies is cool, and so is mile high up in longmont. Check them both out and make your own decision, but STAY AWAY FROM SKIP's PLACE!!! If you value your life DO NOT JUMP AT HIGH SKY ADVENTURES!!!!
5. I just a little burned out here in Colorado, but the view is pretty nice, so it does have that going for it.

BTW wingnut Hope you are doing well there in Utah, and the falcon isn't biting you to bad. Have you been getting deployed?

I live in Denver Area (Lakewood) and couldn't be happier! The people in Colorado are truely wonderful people. Many people here are infected with a love for life that you dont find elsewhere. Great Beer too, and I'm not talking about that stuff they brew in Golden, there are so many microbrewerys...It helps that my roommate is a brewmaster at a local microbrewery! The weather is awesome....over 300 days a year of sun and it never stays too cold in Denver over the winter. Sure, it snows from time to time, but usually all it takes is a few days and it's back up in the 50s and 60s and it all melts away. The skiing is great, backpacking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, etc. You should never be bored in Colorado. I pay around $400 a month to live in a fairly nice house with 2 roommates. As for skydiving, I am new to the sport so I can't say much other than I have been jumping at Mile-Hi out of convience and it is a very good DZ. I have also hung out at Skydive the Rockies in Canon City (2-3 hours from Denver) and they seem like great people too. Denver Skydivers in Brush is sounds like a great place as well, although I have never been there. A few other cities you may consider in Colorado may be Ft. Collins, Boulder (expensive), or Durango (although I dont know of a dropzone too close to there...Moab I think is the closest at 3 hours away) If you are looking for jobs in the Denver area try www.denverpost.com or www.westword.com PM me if you would like more info!!

Oh wait, WHAT HAVE I SAID?? we don't need any more people in this state. We don't want any more people in this state!!! Colorado Sucks...you shouldnt come here. B|

Interesting... I grew up in Colorado, but just moved out to San Diego to focus on skydiving about four months ago. Like so many others, I quit snowboarding to skydive more. Anyway, here is my opinion/suggestion:

If you want a place to live in between the mountains and skydiving, I would suggest the Lakewood/Green Mountain/Golden area. Very convenient access to the highways for any activity you'll be enjoying. Also, fairly cheap housing/apt. rentals. I'm sure Steve will offer his 2cents regarding this thread, and is actually a computer programming and might offer more specific advice regarding the job hunt.

For skydiving, I prefer MileHi. Great facilities and rad locals (I miss you guys!). Skydiving will proceed generally on the weekends only, and will last all year (weather dependent). I've actually jumped through snow once! Be warned, it can get cold while jumping. Then again Colorado is infamous for its weather - it might be 90 degrees one day, and the next day will snow!

For riding, I prefer Keystone, but there is a huge debate amongst my snowboarding buddies - particularly those who live in Breck.

Anyway, I'd love to answer any other questions. PM your phone number and I can even hook you up with some buddies, both skydivers and snowboarders.

Good luck.
J.

Hi Alana

Colorado is one awesome state to live in if you like adventure, awesome scenery, healthy people and sunshine. There are many really cool places to live, but most of them come with a price tag. But in most cases it's worth it. Exactly where you will want to live will depend a lot on where you can find work. The south Denver metro area has the worst traffic (not LA bad, but bad nonetheless), but getting around the metro area usually isn't that bad. Getting into the mountains up I-70 during the ski season sucks. But that's the only way from metro Denver. There is a less travelled route if you're travelling from the Springs. You won't save any time, but at least you're not sitting in traffic.

I have lived near downtown Denver, Colorado Springs and Boulder CO and each one of these places has had it's pros and cons. Living in Denver offers all of the amenities of being in a big city, but you are in a big city. Colorado Springs can be quaint and very picturesque, but some (not all) of the people there are very mixed up. South Denver is suburbia, Lakewood isn't a bad location and Golden is actually pretty cool (if you can stand the smell of the Coors Brewery). Boulder is well ... Boulder. On one hand it is a really cool place to be with awesome scenery and a lot outdoor recreational activities (I've been here since the summer of 2000), but some (not all) of the people are just too bizarre what with their tree hugging and related activities. Northwest metro Denver is actually pretty nice, reasonably affordable and traffic isn't too bad. North metro Denver and eastern Denver (Aurora) are the cheaper places to be. But you also have to remember the sort of people which are attracted to these cheaper areas. If you can find work, the Fort Collins/Loveland area is very nice and reasonably affordable as well. But getting to the ski resorts is bad enough from Lakewood let alone Fort Collins. So before you start asking how much would you pay to live, you need to know what part of the Front Range you could find work in. Hey and I didn't even touch living in the mountains (which would be awesome if you could find work, but it could also be very expensive at the same time).

As far as the weather is concerned, for most of the year, Colorado rocks and we get just as much sunshine as a place like Florida would get (without the natural disasters). And the air is dry here, so you won't feel as cold in the winters as you would in Ohio. Maybe I'm not the best person to ask, but in the 7 years I have lived here, I have yet to experience anything that comes close to Canada and/or Minnesota cold. It just isn't that bad here. One day we may get 2 feet of snow, but within a few days it will melt and believe it or not, I have been out in shorts and a t-shirt on some January and February days.

As far as jumping is concerned, it is no accident (besides having a well paying job) that I have accumulated the number of jumps I have in the short 27 months I have been jumping (and I'm pretty much just a weekend jumper). We may not jump all 52 weeks of the year (and we go skiing on those overcast and snowy wintery weekends), but we do jump all 12 months of the year. There are three drop zones in the state not counting the one Spizarko speaks of (YES DO NOT JUMP AT SKIP'S DZ) and depending on where you live, how far you're willing to travel and what sort of drop zone environment you are looking for, any one of the three DZs should suite your needs. What else can I say? Do you still have that video I gave you last Christmas? Much of that was videoed here in Colorado. And two of the three DZs offer great scenery while the other DZ offers a great party atmosphere. But I must warn you that landing your canopy on a hot summer day in low wind conditions is nothing like you've ever experienced before. Your approach speeds will be faster than what you're used to and your canopy will lose it's lift faster. You really need to know how to complete your flare here if you're jumping a small canopy.

Colorado is just a great place to be. I know one day (who knows, maybe sooner rather than later), I will have to leave the state. Are there any single women out there, not necessarily directed at Alana willing to help a Canadian out by marrying him so that he can stay in the state? LOL ... didn't think so.

Anyway, from what I know about you and the brief times we did chat at the holiday boogie, I'm pretty sure you'd be happy here in Colorado and Colorado would be lucky to get someone like you. There are plenty of people here who would be happy to help make your transition to the state more enjoyable and we hope you choose us over another state (god I sound like a politician or something).

Wingi:

Yes you may have only been paying $400 for your place in the Springs, but don't forget some of us (like yours truly) have actually set foot in your old pad and well ... I couldn't possibly tell people about the ### ######## #### you used to live in without it being confused as a personal attack. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Colorado Sucks...you shouldnt come here

In most cases I know this is the party line. Yes Colorado does suck. But Alana is a hottie. Creator of the "If you're a hottie and you know it" thread, and for her I think we should make an exception to this rule. ;)

have actually set foot in your old pad and well ... I couldn't possibly tell people about the ### ######## #### you used to live in without it being confused as a personal attack.

no worries..... it was a small ass place with no furniture..... it was cheap though............

grant, i'm tying to go palace chase right now to the reseerves.... as for the falcons, they they came up and bit me with a art. 15.....

Coors isn't real beer:ph34r:

Funny thing; When I lived in the MidWest, (IN/MI/IL), and Coors wasn't sold there, it was in HOT demand. People on vacation would pick it up and bring it back for their friends.

Since I moved here in 1996, I can't recall ever seeing anyone drink Coors.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I moved here a year and nine months ago from San Diego, so my observations may differ.

I would guess you will be most likely to find a job in the southern Denver area (tech center or highlands ranch). You can live in a lot of places and still easily commute to the tech center. I think Highlands Ranch would be a good place to work, but not to live (nazi hoa's). My commute is 20 miles each way, which is less than half of what it was in San Diego. People here think that is still outrageous.

People: They are a bit too nice. I think I'm used to it now, but it really bugged me at first. When I was in a hurry trying to get through the check out line at the grocery store and the checker was going on about something or other I just had to say cut the small talk and check the milk please.

Driving: These are without a doubt the worst drivers on the planet. On my way to work today, I saw four traffic accidents. One of them was on the other side of the road from an accident - a rubber necker drove into the back of the car in front of him while checking out the other accident.

Cost of Living: On this one, YMMV. I have heard people say it is expensive. Compared to San Diego, it is dirt cheap. I moved from a rented 500 sq ft studio to a nice house in a good neighborhood (Parker) with very little price difference. My insurance went up??? Utilities are cheaper. Produce is more expensive. Housing is cheap (to me) and plentiful. Gas is cheaper.

Other stuff: Weather is good. I grew up in northern Illinois and it was far colder there in the winters. People are generally very active and outdoorsy. People generally drink a lot more here than in San Diego. Most people my age are married and have kids. Most people go to church here.

In the end: It was a good move and I would do it again. Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

"Colorado Sucks...you shouldnt come here"

In most cases I know this is the party line. Yes Colorado does suck. But Alana is a hottie. Creator of the "If you're a hottie and you know it" thread, and for her I think we should make an exception to this rule.

Well, I suppose, we can make exceptions. :$

These are without a doubt the worst drivers on the planet.

I totally agree with you. And they sure like to linger in the left lane regardless of what speed they are driving.

They are a bit too nice.

This concerns me. So living in a society of rude people is better?

They are a bit too nice.

This concerns me. So living in a society of rude people is better?

No, not at all. I just am not compelled to strike up a conversation with every person I come in contact with. I don't even notice it anymore, but it was certainly something that stuck out for me when I first moved here. I have found that if I go ahead and humor people - eg. "I'm doing good, thanks for asking." - as opposed to a one word answer of "fine", things tend to move along a lot better. I think it has also helped me get along better with people in general.

If you want a place to live in between the mountains and skydiving, I would suggest the Lakewood/Green Mountain/Golden area.

That's exactly where I live....I am at the base of a mountain bike trail (Green Mtn.), kayaking is 5 mins away in Golden, rock and ice climbing are 10 mins away in Cleer Creek Canyon, Boulder (where I end up a lot) is half an hour, and I don't have to deal with Denver on my way to I-70 go skiing (read: I get on the road before most everyone else!) The only thing that isn't close to here is the DZ...Mile-Hi is almost an hour away...I suppose it could be worse, I could live in south Denver, Aurora, or Parker! *shrug*

For riding, I prefer Keystone, but there is a huge debate amongst my snowboarding buddies - particularly those who live in Breck.

Keystone has great terrain and just about the worst skiers and riders in the state. I worked up at keystone for a year and was continually frustrated by idiots from certain states that I won't mention here who thought they were expert skiers/riders whilst eratically turning their way down the harder trails on their edges the whole time. That said, I ski at keystone all the time...avoiding the bad skiers just adds an additional challenge to the runs. Vail is definatly my favorite followed by Mary Jane (Winter Park). If you like big bumps on steep terrain, it's hard to beat MJ anywhere within a 2 hour drive of Denver. Winter Park is snowboarding hell due to all the catwalks though.

edit: I know I can't spell

Affordable housing is available in Colorado as long as you're willing to compromise on dwelling type+size. I used to rent in Boulder for $300/month, although that meant a room in a house instead of my own apartment. Five years ago I bought a town-home for what I could have a detached single family home elsewhere in Colorado. Now the trade-off is closer to a two-bedroom condominum here versus a house someplace less popular.

That gets you within walking or biking distance to dozens of great restraunts/bars, hiking trails, climbing, and kayaking. There are a few local music festivals and theatrical companies. Not much independant cinema. 12 miles to the nearest turbine DZ (100 miles to the second closest), 25 miles to the nearest ski area, and 60-90 miles to areas on the continental divide.

I think it's worthwhile (have been here 13 years and haven't visited any place I'd rather live), other people really dislike Boulder (there's a lot of money, some attitude, and ethnic diversity isn't too visible). I don't like Denver (too far from outdoor activity although the food is fine) and consider most other towns suburban hell.

Skiing season passes are now _very_ affordable ($300); so traffic to the ski areas is a little out of hand and the snow gets skiied off fast. The last few years I've done more snowboarding in other countries than Colorado.

We have turbine dropzones and you can jump year round (I don't jump below 40 degrees and haven't missed a month in the last 9 years). There are probably 5 days when I don't want to commute by bicycle. l The level of talent isn't what you get in Eloy or California. There's some competitive formation skydiving. Opinions vary as to the management/prevailing attitude at the nearest DZs.