txhoss

Taking apart Neptune

Hey all, I came home today to find that my wife had washed my Neptune altimeter. It was on at the home page for about an hour before I took the battery out.

It has water that I can see between the protective plastic and the LCD itself so I am sure that it is soaked inside.

Does anyone know how to take this thing apart? I would like to try to dry it out with a hairdryer to see if I can get at least my jump time total info out?

Thanks in advance.

Have Rig will travel ...

I have done this with cameras and cellphones :

soak in distilled water for a bit (a few hours).
leave to dry out next to a dehumidifier, or run a hairdrier close enough to evaporate the moisture, but far enough not to melt it.

It will take a few days to dry out properly, but I have always revived things that way...

I think that is what I will do. Any idea on the mechanics of taking it apart and more importantly ... putting it back together?

Guess all is not lost, it gives me an excuse to get a new one but I sure would like to get the data off of it.

Have Rig will travel ...

It's easy... here's whatcha do. Take the Neptune, in hand, and calmly walk outside to your car. Don't forget your keys. Open said car in your normal fashion and CAREFULLY drive down to your local post office. After standing in line, purchase on of those small, corregated boxes and some stamps. Gingerly wrap the Neptune with something (doesn't really matter what, it could be an old sock, undies, or whatever... just remember that the heavier the wrapper, the more postage is required!) and seal it in the box. Use only approved USP tape btw... Anyway, at this point you should be ready to hand the box off to the lazy fuck behind the counter (after standing in line again for prolly another 15-20 mins). However, you forgot to bring the address of where to ship it (how did I know you were gonna do that?). No problem... just go back outside, calmly mind you, and CAREFULLY drive back home where you can download and print off the shipping address for the nearest official Neptune service center. Once you have this, you can (once again) go back to the post office, stand in line, and mail your waterlogged Neptune back to the factory for service.

Hope this helps... :)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Aaron,
you can attempt to dry it out as described but I'd recommend that you contact Jenn at Alti-2 to see about a replacement. As for taking it apart, I wouldn't recommend it. I've watched them being assembled and while I am sure you could probably get the case apart eventually, I doubt you could get it to close very well. Emailing Jenn is the best course of action IMO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I took a shower after getting pied for my 100th with my blackberry in my pocket at TRICKERY Skydiving Center

See: SOAKED

It was tripping out and i quickly took the battery out.

On the drive home, I put the phone, backside down without the rear panel on the defrost vent and cranked that shit up to high.

About 3 hours later it was working properly.
:)