windcatcher

static line sucks!

So I did my first AFF jump saturday and MAN, I learned soooooo much more jumping from 13k and actually having time to do turns and stuff, rather than having to do another 10 sec. delay, then a few 20's, then 30's, etc. coming off static line.
They only offered static where I am from, but since I jump in OK at the best dropzone there ( Airtight) I know I will learn so much more quickly doing AFF jumps.
Yipeeee!!! Freefall!! I'm little a giddy right now...
and man, I met some cute skydivers too, but I'm not saying who! :D
Sarah

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I will learn so much more quicker doing AFF jumps.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

as well as pay so much more
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

did you go through a static line program? or just some of it?

I went through a full static line program and got my license that way.

I argue that the static line method is outdated, that the tandem ISP set forth in the SIM is currently the best training method. I've seen more students become better skydivers quicker due to the tandem ISP then I've seen with anything else.

These students are coming away at 25 jumps with their license and are MUCH better skydivers then I was at 100 jumps.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nah, it all averages out pretty much the same when all is said and done

If you break it down, S/L students tend to take a couple extra jumps to complete the A card then the AFF and the Tandem ISP students. So it really does come out even (or in many cases, more expensive) in the end.

Yeah I am only doing 10 sec. delays according to static line progression, but since I tend to put my feet up my butt instead of sticking them out more, my AFF helped me become more aware of how I was flying my body. Arch and upper body was good, but doing 10. sec. worth of freefall really wasn't allowing me to correct my position for very long.
Sarah

I agree with you as well. I am also a SL instructor and since I have left my home dz and come out to where recently graduated aff students roam, I am suprised at how much information they are missing.
I am doing coach jumps with them, and there are tons of basic skills that just weren't taught to them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

If you break it down, S/L students tend to take a couple extra jumps to complete the A card then the AFF and the Tandem ISP students. So it really does come out even (or in many cases, more expensive) in the end.

How do you figure? By the time a s-l student graduates, he/she has 16 jumps under his/her belt (acc. to my home dz prog.) and that is if they pass each level. Usually, on their last student jumps, they are swooping down to the instructor. Almost all of the skills required for the A license is coverd during the program.
I am not -all hail static-line-, but I do think it turns out some good students and I think there are some definate pros to its program.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

Nah, it all averages out pretty much the same when all is said and done

AD, when I was going through, I made the S/L decision b/c it seemed cheaper but I was jumping a lot more to lean a little, S/L was a steep learning curve for me, when I changed over I did LvII to Grad without ever having to repeat, the video, the in air instruction, it all came together, and all in all I think I spent maybe $100 or so more than if I had continued S/L at the rate that I was learning at

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

I do think it turns out some good students and I think there are some definate pros to its program.

I wouldn't go that far...I mean, I graduated from the S/L program...:P:P:P

How do you figure?

Simple break down compared to the other progarms, looking at the ISP chart in the IRM.

Now, we've all seen students kicking ass no matter where they started and how they started...too bad everyone isn't like that.B|

some definate pros to its program

Most definatley, look in the face of a student who has only done tandems/ AFF when it is time for their Clear and Pull, a whole new world of terror;)

Most definatley, look in the face of a student who has only done tandems/ AFF when it is time for their Clear and Pull, a whole new world of terro

No shit! It cracks me up really. Its amazing how two different people can look at 5.5k and go "damn we're really high" or "damn we're really low." Its even more fun on the 3.5k hop-n-pop.>:(

There are some pros to static line, my first jump wasn't a tandem, it was a static. It got me really excited about skydiving, but now that I am freefalling I want to accelerate my learning curve and I feel AFF will be better for me than going through my proficiency card doing static progression.
Sarah
and p.s. S/L instructors are pretty cool too, the ones I've met at least! B|

haha, so true. I saw that just yesterday. This dude looked so freaked. I wasn't sure if it was because he had to jump at 3500 or if it was because he had to spot. Another thing is having to spot. Usually, a place that has a s-l program is also flying out of a plane where there is no green light.

AD- I guess I just don't agree that it comes out cheaper. I have done the math myself a few times. I guess it depends where you jump.
Yeah, I am a product of static-line training as well, so I guess it makes my arguement less believable. :P:P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

I just don't agree that it comes out cheaper. I have done the math myself a few times.

Could I get you to do my taxes too?>:(:P:P:P

Yup, just like everything else, it depends on where and how.:)

same can be said about the IAD program in canada

you can look at it this way, (in canadian terms and estimates) you could spend $800 on PFF (aff) and be on your own in as much as 6 - 8 jumps or spend $800 on 20 jumps SL/IAD progression and end up in the same area.

but hey! i figure progress the way you feel more comfortable. I'm saving up to do the PFF next season because i feel that would be more effective for me than the progression.

glad you had some fun!!!

you think I do my own taxes? :P
hahaha. This year will suck for taxes, there is no way I could figure it out. I have income from back in MI and now income here in California. I have to file in two states!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MaryRose

Yup, just like everything else, it depends on where and how

Almost agree, not where and how for me, it was who, great instructors, shitty student, really needed the in air and vid de breif to see what I was doing

I've just finished the static line course, and am diligently working on my A-license requirements. The way the courses are structured at my home DZ, when you "graduate" from AFF or the tandem progression, you have more skills than the person who "graduates" from the static line class. The assumption seems that the static line graduates will get coach jumps as needed to attain their A-license.

Although I'm not there yet, I think that everything will just about even out for the person that follows through to their A-license.

I had a choice of Static Line, AFF, or Tandem Progression at our DZ. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably pick AFF. But I'm glad I just picked one, and moved forward. And based on my experiences, I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say "static line sucks", although I can understand how some people would find one program or the other is much better suited for them.

When I look back now, I had so many misconceptions about what was involved in each program, I'm just glad I made a choice and went ahead.

Forgive my ignorance for I am not an AFF instructor. After the 7 jumps/levels (which are somewhat costly if repeated), is it required, or just suggested that the neophyte skydiver jump with a coach for all or some of the rest of the required jumps? If jumping with a coach, how much does it cost? If jumping with a coach and renting gear how much?
My DZ, FJC $150, student jumps $50, 30 (5 IAD, 25 free fall) jumps for “A” $1600.00, every jump under supervision of an Instructor or Coach. How much for an “A” doing AFF or Tandem Progression at your DZ, figuring no repeat jumps?
Seems the math can be done in a way to support anyone’s argument that “their way” is cheaper/same/whatever. Don’t get me wrong, AFF is an excellent training method. It just doesn’t make since at my DZ with one 182 and very limited staff. I know you could argue that I could do Tandem Progression with one or two instructors (different thread).

Sorry if I’m “beating a dead horse” here, I didn’t research whether this is repeat.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I loved static line! I could stay current by going through static line! I could actually afford to jump every week with static line! There is no way that I could have done that with AFF while in college.

Mmm...static line. The best part about static line was trying to get my jm rating and putting out one of my experienced friends on the static line! Hehehehe!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning