Conundrum

Tipping

A server, a delivery person, your hairdresser, a cabbie... the list goes on. Do you tip? Do you believe people should tip?

A few arguments I've seen are:

Their job description is to DELIVER food. It's what they're paid for. So, just because the guy managed to get the pizza to my door in 40-45 minutes (usual time) I have to give him extra $?

Unfortunately, in our society it's now a standard method, and the employers pay lower wages and calculate the tips in. This is unfair, because more money comes out of my pocket to pay tips, when I shouldn't have to pay someone extra for a job they're already doing.

or the opposite:

The tip is part of the delivery person's pay. It's factored into what the employer pays him, etc. In order to keep the driver there with no tips, the employer would have to pay him more. In order to pay him more, the employer will have to charge YOU more for your pizza. Either way, you pay for it. Why are you bitching? At least under the current system, you have the option of being an asshole and not tipping

What is your view on tipping?

The second one. The first one seems absurd. There are certain jobs where you make the largest portion of your money from tips, and pizza delivery is one of them. Services are not factored into the cost of the pizza . . . go pick it up and see if they knock $3 off the price. They won't, because that's the cost of the pizza. Get off your lazy ass if you don't want to tip the pizza guy (not you, Rochelle).

Edit because I'm an idiot. :D

Kelly

Don't screw with the pizza driver if you plan on ordering from them again. Tip a couple bucks every time, maybe 1 or 2 more for fast delivery, but DON'T stiff him. Or don't wonder why you're doubled up on the toilet after your first two slices. Baked-in, tasteless jalapeno juice is a WMD for your tummy.

I always tip servers- I have too many friends in the service industry and that's their bread and butter.

:)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

sad to say but i never tip unless i'm at a restraunt.
just for the fact that my budget is as tight as it is and i just can't afford to give a few extra bucks to everyone who provides me with a service. and after the incident i had at the hairdresser....i dont' think i'm ever going to go back there :S

I agree with tipping for service well done at restaurants. But certain pizza places charge an extra buck or 2 for delivery. In that case i don't think i should have to tip the driver.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

*not saying that I agree or disagree with what I'm about to say, I'm just playing devils advocate so please don't take it as I'm arguing with you. :)
But isn't it a delivery persons job to deliver to you? Isnt that what their employer pays them to do? Why should someone fork out extra money when it's a service offered by the company? If the person relies on tips for a big part of their income, maybe they should find a new job? Same with any other position that you are 'supposed' to tip. You rely on other peoples gratuity. What if you're at a resuraunt and you get shitty service? Do you still tip?

I did a poll on tipping a while back. Lots of different opinions. I tip well whenever it's deserved.

People want convenience, but don't want to pay for it.

I delivered pizzas many years ago. I spent a LOT of frustrating time in traffic and driving in bad conditions. To those that tipped me $1 or so, a big 'fuck you!'. :ph34r:

I also tip when I get take out. I won't tip that much, but someone took my order and boxed it up for me. Thats worth $1 or $2 to me.

Someone might be getting paid to do their job, but if it's a job that is supposed to receive tips, then that is considered when figuring the wages. Don't be a cheap a-hole, OK? :)

The first one.

Tips are a reward, not to be expected. I don't ask for them in my job(s) and they sure as hell are service oriented. I'm not a cheep ass either. The last 3 nights out (in the last week) I've tiped heavily (as much as 30%) simply because the service was damn good. Shitty service? They wouldn't get a dime over the menu price.

If your employer docks your pay and expects you to make it up in tips, quit.

If you walked into a supermarket and the price for a can of soup said $1 and when you took it to the cashier they asked you for $2, wouldn't you be pissed?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If I get shitty service, I leave a small tip.

As far as them getting paid to do that . . . technically we, the consumers, are the ones who are supposed to pay them for that. Their employer does not do it. Most servers make $2.13 an hour. Now, if a server's gonna get $10 an hour, then we shouldn't tip, because the cost for the service will be included in the cost of the food. You just have to know what industries require tipping, and not bitch about it. If they start paying everyone so that no tips are necessary, then the costs are gonna go up. That's just the way it works, stupid or not.

I'm with you on the tipping of the Pizza guy. I'm scared he will spit or do some thing to the pizza.

I only tip at restaurants if I get good service. Meaning, remove my plate from the table after I'm done eating.

Hair: My girlfriend does it, and her tip is we have breakfast the morning of my appointment, and I buy. I do some times get facials from a different gal, and I don't tip. I figure since she is working out of her home, she's using me for a tax write off, and she's putting all that money I just gave her into her pocket. A salon isn't taking a cut.

Taxi: Just had to do a long taxi ride, and I didn't tip the guy cause he was getting paid a flat rate that was going to allow him a big enough tip.

I do tip the guy that checks me in at the curb at Airports. Most times I travel with two bags, and tip $5.00. I figure it's worth not having to stand in line at check in, and if I tip, then I know my bag will make it to the plane.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

To those that tipped me $1 or so, a big 'fuck you!'. People want convenience, but don't want to pay for it.

So they GAVE you EXTRA money they didn't owe and you're not thankful for it? Maybe I read that wrong.

I also tip when I get take out. I won't tip that much, but someone took my order and boxed it up for me. Thats worth $1 or $2 to me.

Bullcrap. They are doing their fucking job. It pisses me off when I go into a coffey shop and see a "TIPS" jar by the cashregister. Did I just wait in line for 10 minutes so you could get me a fucking Mocha, and now they want a tip? Fuck that.

I'm with you on the tipping of the Pizza guy. I'm scared he will spit or do some thing to the pizza.

This comment always cracks me up. You don't give a tip until he gives the pizza to you, so if you don't tip what's he gonna do.... spit in it right in front of you? :D

It pisses me off when I go into a coffey shop and see a "TIPS" jar by the cashregister. Did I just wait in line for 10 minutes so you could get me a fucking Mocha, and now they want a tip? Fuck that.

Ditto. I really don't understand that concept at all. I don't understand why you're supposed to tip a bartender either.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Bullcrap. They are doing their fucking job.

Re-read what I wrote. I said: "Thats worth $1 or $2 to me". I don't give a shit what anyone else does, I show my appreciation for it with a small tip. And I'm not talking about getting a cup of coffee.

I consider tips to be mandatory for food delivery - like I think they are mandatory for when you dine out, if the job is done well. It should be rewarded. There are jobs where people work for tips. Those two jobs fall into that category. So, when people don't respect that for a job that was done right / well, then fuck them. Again - thats just MY opinion.

Your right..you never have to tip the driver.
I deliverd pizza for years part time (20-2 hrs wk)
I was paid $1 per delivery plus $6.90 hr.
I drove my own vehicle, keeped up insurance (get a quote for using vehicle for buisness use)
Also was putting ~ 800 mi a month on my truck!
Sometimes I made $60 a week every week in tips.
I used ~$30 wk in gas, mileage, wear & tear,etc.
I could care less if someone did not tip,BUT when they did I was very thankful..hey some people don't have the $..Round Table Pizza was expensive.
I have new parttime job and we have an ATM machine..it charges $1.65 to use..I had a lady order
over $25 worth of food (had 3 kids with her) then found out about the $1.65 charge and cancelled the whole order!
Well, back to your question..sometime I tip sometime I don't..various reason..
Also, I hated it when I heard employee complain that they didn't get a tip..BooHoo..

Ok, JP. You live on $2.13 an hour. Or, we can just revamp the whole service industry of the United States and make the employers raise prices so that we no longer have to pay the person's income to them directly.

Guess what. I have. I have worked in the Retail, or Service industry my whole life. Have I ever once EXPECTED a tip? No.

It's crap, and the goverment is suporting it. It's borderline ilegal too.

There is an advertized price on the menu. I should only be obligated to pay it. If that means I get up and get my own food, fine.

I do tip, and tip quite well when it is earned. Otherwise some gum chewing, obnoxiously rude, teenager who thinks the world owes him/her a living can just get bent and go ahead and try living on that $2.13 an hour. (It's more than that by the way.)

I agree with tipping for service well done at restaurants. But certain pizza places charge an extra buck or 2 for delivery. In that case i don't think i should have to tip the driver.

Ditto - I don't tip if there are fees added on to the bill - $2.00 delivery charge is a tip.

Look at hotel room service - most places charge $1-$5 + 18% and then hand you a receipt with a line for tip. Are you crazy?

I’ve worked as a waitress before. The way it works is that the owner of the restaurant is a cheap ass. He tells the IRS that you are making so and so much money in tips, which is why you get paid below minimal wage. You as the waitress claim that some amount per hour on your taxes. Now, be aware, if an IRS person comes into the restaurant and watches you pick up more then what you are claiming per hour, you could get in trouble.

I think people are pretty well educated before they take a job as a food server. They know what their hourly wage is going to be. If they then choice that path in life, then so be it. They have been told what to expect, so they can’t complain.

Oh, what about the cook and bartender that get a cut of the tips, yet they aren’t getting paid min. wage?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Guess what? They make notes in their computers about how the person tipped (usually only bad notes, not good ones) . . . So they'll get you next time.

So jump around pizza place to pizza place until you run out of places to order from. ( I'm totally joking ) :D

I generally tip 15-20%, usually 20 in a restaraunt. But, if the tip for dinner at the pub is 5-6 bucks and the tip at a top flight place with wine is 30-40 bucks, did waiter #2 really work 7 times as hard? Does he deserve the larger tip?