Dag

Optimum vs. Tempo

Fellow skydivers!

I´m about to order a new rigg. The reserv I want is a Optimum 143. But then I started looking at a Tempo 150. If you look at the packing manual for the Tempo 150, it´s suposed to pack up as small as 293 cu.in. And a Optimum 143 has got a pack volume of 298 cu.in.
Is this correct? Can I really buy a Tempo 150 and fit it in a container made for a Optimum 143?

Has anyone got any experience to share with me, when i comes to camparing the packing volume of these two reservs?

All help is appreciated!!

Blue Skies!
/ Dag

If you search around DZ.com you will find some people that are OK with their tempo; however, if you also search you'll find a lot of people talking about built in turns, weird stall points, little or no flare and many other problems.

I don't think I've seen or heard of anyone having any of those problems with any of the PD reserves in the past 10 years.

Your choice, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Tempos have not been made in several years. The early Tempo's did not have Span wise reinforcement and were able to reduce a lot of their pack volume this way. Later versions of the Tempo had the reinforcement and the size was much larger on these from my packing experience. The Tempo was replaced by the Smart reserve in Aerodynes line up.

You would need to find a used older Tempo vs a new Optimum. One design is 10-15 years old, one is less then 5.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Tempo? Seriously?

I have 2 reserve rides on a Tempo '150 and one on an Optimum '143. I've also made 5 jumps with a demo Optimum '143 hooked up as main. I would say forget about comparing pack volumes and get the better reserve - which between the two from my experience is the Optimum. Saving some money to buy an out of production reserve now is not a good idea.

Will

I recently had two mals, on two different rigs, in six jumps. Both reserves were Tempos. One was a 120 and the other my own 150.

The 120 had a slight built in turn. The 150 was all good.

That said, if i had the money i would buy a PD reserve today.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

There are ways to make the pack volume lower on canopies that some companies use.

Some measure them larger then other companies so that the reaction is I can put a X 150 in the rig or a Y 170 since they pack the same size. They may pack the same but its only since they really are the same size but just claim to have different sizes for marketing or because they use a different method to get the size. There are multiple standards for measuring a canopy and if 2 companies are using different methods then it really is comparing apples to oranges for canopy sizes.

You can reduce the material that go into the canopy. Reducing the reinforcement tapes or using Spectra lines instead of a tape will reduce the pack volume size but in the case of reinforcement its usually better to have it if you are looking at going over the speed or weights for the canopy. Freeflying exceeds all the canopies certification speeds usually. If the canopy suffers any material damage the reinforcement tape might be the only thing holding the two cells still together so in that case you really want a material that will hold up.

Other companies have tried new materials that are smaller in their construction like the low bulk material to reduce the pack volume. This usually involves more cost and is only on newer canopies.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

are your statement base on net source, or is it from life, because, my rigger have opposite opinion for speed pack vol.

based on the PIA list, which should, probably, use a standartized method; it's also what the clubs rigger says..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I just had a word with Paratec. They measure the topskin of there canopies to decide the size. Wile PD measure the bottom skin. That should mean that the Speed 150 is closer to 140 than 150 if you measured it the PD-way. However. The Speed-reserv is a modern design and is made out of a low bulk material much like the Optimum.
And Paratec tells me a Speed 150 will fit in a rigg that´s made for a Optimum 143.

/ Dag

Fellow skydivers!
If you look at the packing manual for the Tempo 150, it´s suposed to pack up as small as 293 cu.in. And a Optimum 143 has got a pack volume of 298 cu.in.
Is this correct? Can I really buy a Tempo 150 and fit it in a container made for a Optimum 143?

The tempo 150 is smaller than the pd reserve (optimum or not) 143.

If you want the biggest reserve in you rig, go for the optimum or the speed reserve.

"

If you search around DZ.com you will find some people that are OK with their Tempo; however, if you also search you'll find a lot of people talking about built in turns, ..."

Funny, I have packed hundreds of Tempo reserves and only heard one customer complain about a Tempo turning.
Mind you, he bounced off the step, deployed his main - while unstable and cutaway from a spinning main malfunction. Then he complained about his Tempo turning.
After he landed, I noticed a two inch difference in the adjustable Main Lift Webs.

Just goes to show that you need to commit multiple errors to kill your self in this business.

Funny, I have packed hundreds of Tempo reserves and only heard one customer complain about a Tempo turning.

And how many thousands of people come on DZ.com? ;)

I watched one of my canopy students pound in really hard (PLF saved him serious injury) while under a Tempo 210. He flared at a good altitude, speed and cadence, the canopy simply didn't have any flare to it. He had even completed practice flares and some flat turns under the canopy before coming in to land. The canopy simply sucked.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've had several reserve rides on a 150 Tempo, and I would not buy another. It got me down safely, but the trim was way out of line and made for a hard unsafe landing. Get a PD. When I decide to replace the Tempo, it will be a PD as I should have the first time.
Dano

I watched one of my canopy students pound in really hard (PLF saved him serious injury) while under a Tempo 210. He flared at a good altitude, speed and cadence, the canopy simply didn't have any flare to it. He had even completed practice flares and some flat turns under the canopy before coming in to land. The canopy simply sucked.

I have two jumps on a Tempo 170 demo and fortunately both of them were water jumps. I flew like a truck with four flat tires and even in a 25 knot ocean breeze the flare plain out sucked. It was loaded at 1.1
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Completely anecdotal evidence from this summer:

A rigger I know watches a reserve ride (a save of hers) and then talks to that jumper, who had used his Tempo reserve for the first time.

She says to me, "Turns out it's a Tempo L !"

I wasn't on the ball so I say, "Huh?"

She clenches her hands, sticks her left hand way up, her right hand way down.

Got it, it's a Tempo L, not a Tempo R....

I had 1 reserve ride on my Tempo 150, and it flew like a dog.
It was pretty offputting trying to get a good flare while compensating for an annoying inbuilt turn.

What I said! They will get you down, but be prepared for a steep dive and very little flair. Had it happen two times on my apx. 1:1 loaded 150, and it if you have one , just know what to expect. It did save my life, but knowing what I now know, and when it is time to replace it, I'll get a reserve, like the PD, that has a softer landing.
Dano

As has already been said - i would suggest a Speed Reserve from Paratec or an X-Fast Reserve from Basik or the PD reserve.

Any of these three should be better than the Tempo and all of them have small pack volumes.

The X-Fast is cheaper than the Speed Reserve usually.

If you want to check what size X-Fast will fit your container you can always check with Basik in France!

Tempos have not been made in several years. The early Tempo's did not have Span wise reinforcement and were able to reduce a lot of their pack volume this way. Later versions of the Tempo had the reinforcement and the size was much larger on these from my packing experience. The Tempo was replaced by the Smart reserve in Aerodynes line up.

That about says it all right there, that and all the complaints about Tempos having built in turns and little or no flare. If you want to comparison shop for a new rig, compare the Opti with the Smart.
But most importantly, get a reserve that's big enough to put you down safely, especially if you're already injured. That may be a problem with the Opti, as PD still can't get a TSO on the larger sizes. So if you need something bigger than a 143, consider regular PD reserve.

Aerodyne obvioulsy decided they needed to come up with a better reserve and I know plenty of people who are happy with the Smart.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

i have been under both reserves a few times:$ to many to admit too,but rest assured i am expirienced under reserves!
the tempo was build by PISA-Parachute industry south afica.and i agree they havent build in a few years,i think the are called Chuteshop now.
i have been under both reserves a few times:$ to many to admit too,but rest assured i am expirienced under reserves! both reserves got me to the ground safely,although the PD reserve performance and flare was a hell of a lot better.in my opinion you cant really load the tempo reserve that much,the more you load it the poorer the performance flight.you can def load the PD reserve more and not loose the performance.not that i am suggestion that you load the reserve of course!! I have a PD143 reserve with a wingloading of 2.4! yeah i know i got a huge big fat backside[:/] i am awaiting for the bigger optimum reserves to come out.i think the PD reserves are by far the best quality reserves out there.Paratec speed reserves are ok too,i place them ahead of the tempo and smart reserves.and the optimum 143 will pack a lot smaller than a tempo 150.
my two cents,i would go with the PD reserve,they are the best reserve on the market today!
although all of the reserve mention,will get you to the ground,Pd reserve will set you down gently all of the time!
see if you can jump a demo PD somewhere,and tehn make up your mind.
but bottom line,i hope you dont have the see the reserve out too often!:P
cherrio
rodger

I have a PD143 reserve with a wingloading of 2.4!

Hell that is only 40 lb. more than the test weight and 90 lb. above MAXIMUM OPERATING WEIGHT. What could possibly go wrong?

Sparky

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
his MAIN WL is 2.4 (look at his profile). His reserve WL is a bit less.

I have landed a PDR106 at 2.1, and would prefer not to make it a daily occurence.

I have a PD143 reserve with a wingloading of 2.4!

Hell that is only 40 lb. more than the test weight and 90 lb. above MAXIMUM OPERATING WEIGHT. What could possibly go wrong?

Sparky

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
his MAIN WL is 2.4 (look at his profile). His reserve WL is a bit less.

I have landed a PDR106 at 2.1, and would prefer not to make it a daily occurence.

That is still undeer the weight that the canopy was tested at. And having landed is at the WL does not make it the smart thing to do. It just means you were lucky one time.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals