swoopfly

reserve risers

hey

i know there is plenty of threads on how to clean your rig. but i was curious after a muddy landing yesterday, whats the best way to get the mud off your reserve risers? i know people say to use a soft bristle brush, but i dont really wanna run a brush over my reserve risers for the fact of wearing the material out or start the beggining of fraying, anyone have an ideas? or just leave the few mudspots oon them, till a repack or something?

Its very good to ask, but if you're using a soft bristle brush in a sensible fashion, I wouldn't worry too much. Your reserve risers are really tough, so, again, as long as you don't go nuts or use a wire brush or anything, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're uncomfortable doing it yourself, next time you're at the DZ, ask your local rigger for help.

Also, if you did take a roll in the dirt last landing, I find it hard to believe you got mud just on your reserve risers. Use a brush to get the mud off the other parts of your rig that aren't the small portion of exposed reserve risers y'all see when the rig is packed before working in that area to get a feel for what you're doing.

Also, also, the next time you jump your rig, opening shock will do wonders to knock dirt off from a previous landing where you may have had a bit of a "yard sale" on landing... assuming you don't have another on that jump.

Strange things have happened / have been done by inexperienced jumpers trying to "fix" or "clean" something on their rig and they "know not what they do", so its good you're asking first. ;)

How much mud are we really talking here? Pictures?

yeah my whole bottom of my rig got a mudsplash, so it was caked,reserve risers just got a few mudsplotches. I know how to clean my flaps, i was just curious about the reserve risers as this is an important component i dont wanna wear out anyme soon. i even dont like to brush my flaps to hard or much with a brush because it does wear the material out after so long. i am a neat freak and just like to keep my rig looking new.

... i am a neat freak and just like to keep my rig looking new.

Then the only way of doing that is to not jump it!

:D

:P

;)

Sorry, one other thing... maybe I made the poor assumption that your container is made mostly out of Cordura, as is most common, and didn't think to ask if it is skinned in the less common Para-pac or some other sort of "fun fabric" that may indeed be more susceptible to wear from rolling on the ground or frequent brushing... but more "fashionable" in appearance?