g3ninfinite

ZPX Pilot owners

Im going to be purchasing a canopy first couple weeks of Dec.

I know that the standard ZP pilot packs bigger than a PD canopy such as a sabre2 of equivalent size.

I know AeroDyne states 15-20% smaller. But smaller than what? A zp pilot? making it pack as small/big as a pd sabre 2 of equivalent size? or even smaller than that?

Is a 168 ZPX pilot going to pack up smaller than a 170 sabre?

I really like the pilot but would like to know experiences of those who have used both the zp and zpx variations of the pilot and how much of a difference you noticed in pack volume.

Sorry, I meant it should pack like a safire 169, PD170. It should pack like what would expect a Pilot 168 to pack like if they measured it from the top skin and it was 168 rather than the bottom skin and it being 168.

So a ZPX should make it the same size as a PD-Icarus canopy of the same size.

What container are you looking at it for?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Its going to be a 170.

If its not going to pack smaller that a standard PD zp than I guess the only benefit would be easier packing? perhaps Ill demo another pulse and see if it grows on me

try a storm maybe aswell iv only jumped the crw version but it was nice

I know that the standard ZP pilot packs bigger than a PD canopy such as a sabre2 of equivalent size.

I'm not sure I know that.

I am not a professional packer, but I've never noticed the "one size bigger" thing that gets bandied about on dz.com all the time.

Packing a Pilot 168 into a Wings built for a (PD or whatever) 170 was OK.

Likewise a Vision 150 into a V347 seemed like a medium fit; putting a Sabre1 150 in there seemed... about a medium fit.

I have a Sabre2 135 in there right now and it doesn't look like I've just put something two or three sizes smaller in there. It's a little smaller.

According to some charts and my rigger, my Smart 150 has the same pack volume as a PDR160, but now we really are in the "oranges and apples" realm.

Joel
Has a standard-ZP Pilot coming so won't find out about ZPX this time *sigh*
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I know AeroDyne states 15-20% smaller. But smaller than what? A zp pilot? making it pack as small/big as a pd sabre 2 of equivalent size? or even smaller than that?

I really like the pilot but would like to know experiences of those who have used both the zp and zpx variations of the pilot and how much of a difference you noticed in pack volume.

Our ZPX canopies pack at least 2 sizes smaller than our ZP canopies. We always compare our own since our competitors have chosen to measure their canopies in quite different ways. Hence so much confusion among skydivers.
Will Pilot 168ZPX pack smaller than Sabre 170? Yes, though Pilot 168 has more square footage than Sabre 170.
I have packed Pilot 168 ZPX into Icon I3, which was build for Pilot 132 ZP. That was an easy pack job as before putting 168ZPX in I3 I packed Pilot 188ZPX in it. The true advantage of ZPX fabric is that it lets you get more air out of canopy. This way you can pack it in smaller dbag. If you like Pilot's performance don't settle for anything less. It is an awesome canopy and after seeing it up against all other semi-elliptical canopies out in the field, I can say without any doubt, none of them even come close.

Our ZPX canopies pack at least 2 sizes smaller than our ZP canopies. We always compare our own since our competitors have chosen to measure their canopies in quite different ways. Hence so much confusion among skydivers.
Will Pilot 168ZPX pack smaller than Sabre 170? Yes, though Pilot 168 has more square footage than Sabre 170.
I have packed Pilot 168 ZPX into Icon I3, which was build for Pilot 132 ZP. That was an easy pack job as before putting 168ZPX in I3 I packed Pilot 188ZPX in it. The true advantage of ZPX fabric is that it lets you get more air out of canopy. This way you can pack it in smaller dbag. If you like Pilot's performance don't settle for anything less. It is an awesome canopy and after seeing it up against all other semi-elliptical canopies out in the field, I can say without any doubt, none of them even come close.

thanks. Im going to stick with the pilot but I am going to try the pulse out one more time. I really liked the pulse for geting back from a long spot. Do you happen to know if the pilot is available with vectran lines?

We always compare our own since our competitors have chosen to measure their canopies in quite different ways. Hence so much confusion among skydivers.

Why don't you guys (chute manufacturers) sit down, have a beer and pick a measuring method you will all use in future? Like standardized method?

I know each method of measuring has its pluses and minuses but just agree on one and there should be no more confusion.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

We always compare our own since our competitors have chosen to measure their canopies in quite different ways. Hence so much confusion among skydivers.

Why don't you guys (chute manufacturers) sit down, have a beer and pick a measuring method you will all use in future? Like standardized method?

I know each method of measuring has its pluses and minuses but just agree on one and there should be no more confusion.

that would be way too reasonable for those cliquish skydivers.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

If you like Pilot's performance don't settle for anything less. It is an awesome canopy and after seeing it up against all other semi-elliptical canopies out in the field, I can say without any doubt, none of them even come close.

How come I keep hearing otherwise from so many people...?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

If you like Pilot's performance don't settle for anything less. It is an awesome canopy and after seeing it up against all other semi-elliptical canopies out in the field, I can say without any doubt, none of them even come close.

they dont work for aerodyne!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

What is the square footage of a Pilot 168?

The true advantage of ZPX fabric is that it lets you get more air out of canopy. This way you can pack it in smaller dbag.

So this must mean that the ZPX is more porous and thus allows air to come out. Is that right??

I wonder what you hear and from whom?
I know many people that have demoed the Pilot and every single one bought one. There really is no comparison to the Sabre 2 or the Safire 2. Of those the only thing I came up with better is the butter soft opening of the Safire 2, but the Pilot has a very similar opening. I have heard only a few bad things about the Pilot. The interesting thing is it came from someone that's never jumped one.
I have 2 myself. One for each rig. The second one I got wasn't quite right. It just didn't have the "performance" that the first one had so I sent it back after 20 or 30 jumps and they gave me a new one. PD would never have done that.
I've since bought a third Pilot but this one is ZPX. I have not flown it enough to make a determination on any differences. It sure does pack nice. It is my understanding that I'm the only person that's jumping equal sized Pilots in ZP and ZPX on a regular basis.

they dont work for aerodyne!?

And they have no clue how to fly a canopy, so there is no hope in helping them anyways :)

What is the square footage of a Pilot 168?

The true advantage of ZPX fabric is that it lets you get more air out of canopy. This way you can pack it in smaller dbag.

So this must mean that the ZPX is more porous and thus allows air to come out. Is that right??

Wrong

thanks. Im going to stick with the pilot but I am going to try the pulse out one more time. I really liked the pulse for geting back from a long spot. Do you happen to know if the pilot is available with vectran lines?

You can order a Pilot with Spectra, Dacron or HMA lines. We have chosen not to use Vectran lines with our canopies. My choice is HMA as it is superior to the rest of them. Pilot will take you back from a long spot without any problems, just use rear risers.

That is simple.
Because none of them have ever flown one :)

That is simple.
Because none of them have ever flown one :)

I am one of your 10 busiest distributors and here you are telling my customer I am full of shit.
Well done!

I ahve been trying to get Sangi to buy a pilot and giving him honest opinions of my experience on both the safire 2 and the pilot and you quickly jump in here and tell my customer i dont know what I am talking about and that I am full of shit.

I give your company close to $100K a year and you are this quick to jump into a thread and make these comments to my customer, that I ahve never flown a Pilot and I have no idea what I am talking about.

I made a post earlier to your comment going on about how nothing comes close to a pilot and i thought I would delete it. Now I come back to this thread and here you are still going on to my customer making them lose faith in what I am telling them.

I am thoroughly disappointed that I just lost a $7000 sale because you have feel the need to tell my customer i have no idea what I am talking about.

Yeah yeah, you didnt know, maybe you should consider what you are saying before you do? You really think I have never flown a pilot before even though i have sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of them for your company?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store